Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Will LFC win the battle to finish in the top 4?

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    We're as about as good as our rivals around us as the table shows, trips to Chelsea and Utd will be difficult not to mention the derby at Goodison, but it'll be more about how the sides cope with champions league football.

A few on here seem obsessed with our weaknesses but none of our rivals are without theirs if you watch them for long enough and not assume they are superior (as the table shows).

I think Spurs will have a squad depth issue, Arsenal have a points deficit and no midfield to speak of to contend with, while Utd despite all their spending seem to be stuttering again with a manager who I think will find it increasingly hard to utilise the attacking talents at his disposal....while Pogba remains very much more about hype than reality

Chelsea are a bit weird, Conte is at odds with the team and seems unsettled and not happy with his squad and they lack a trusty striker which their system relies on far more. Morata's a confidence player and Giroud will help but not shoulder the burden.

So its anyone's guess as three of the 5 teams including us, have the capacity to collapse or implode with drama, Arsenal and Spurs being the other two
    I imagine the message boards of Arsenal and Chelsea went into meltdown after their games this week.

Granted we would suffer without Salah or Bobby but so would they without the likes of Auba, Ozil, Hazard etc.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by nuggs View Post
    I imagine the message boards of Arsenal and Chelsea went into meltdown after their games this week.

Granted we would suffer without Salah or Bobby but so would they without the likes of Auba, Ozil, Hazard etc.
    Spurs aren't the only team with a squad depth issue. Chelsea do too, they won the league in 2017 due to having a settled line-up . Their spine generally picked itself, Courtois, Luiz, Kante, Costa. They no longer have that continuity, at at times they can look ordinary.

It's all about getting the points on the board and ensuring that it does not matter what our rivals do. I agree though that us getting CL will damage our rivals. However that's what competition is. It's dog eat dog. If you want to be successful and be sat at Europe's top table and get those rewards, you must overtake your rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
    The difference is De Gea. I fathom the amount of goals and points he saves for Manchester United. I have no doubt if he wasn't there United would be lingering in around 6th/7th. Can't wait to see him go off to Madrid.
    6th or 7th? More like toward the top of that 12 team relegation mess. Without him their pathetic defense would truly be exposed AND their attack is nothing special. If VAR was in place as well they'd be championship bound...

Every team will struggle with injuries to key players...But we struggle the most..we looked like title challengers last season in December ...Lost Mane and went out of both cup competitions..Lost ground in the league...Without Mane in the end stages we limped across the finish line last season ...

We will struggle in games against Southampton ,palace ,everton,west brom ...We still have to play united and chelsea too..All away...Chelsea on 2nd last matchday

Just hope other teams drop more points

Quote Originally Posted by setpieceking View Post
    Every team will struggle with injuries to key players...But we struggle the most..we looked like title challengers last season in December ...Lost Mane and went out of both cup competitions..Lost ground in the league...Without Mane in the end stages we limped across the finish line last season ...

We will struggle in games against Southampton ,palace ,everton,west brom ...We still have to play united and chelsea too..All away...Chelsea on 2nd last matchday

Just hope other teams drop more points

That is incorrect. The maximum per association is 5. If both the EL and CL winners are from the same association and it would normally get 4 CL spots the 4th place finisher will be demoted to the EL in favor of the 2 champions if both fail to finish in the top 4.

It's not what we necessarily do against Spurs on Sunday, but rather what we do in the other 12 remaining Premier League games.

Obviously a win against Spurs would put us 5 points clear, even if God forbid we do lose, we still have 12 games to put it right.

TheSoundLady is offline Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogster View Post
    It's not what we necessarily do against Spurs on Sunday, but rather what we do in the other 12 remaining Premier League games.

Obviously a win against Spurs would put us 5 points clear, even if God forbid we do lose, we still have 12 games to put it right.
    That's true. A draw would be a decent result considering we're in pole position. But a win will really see us start to pull clear. And if Chelsea don't win at Watford, look out. They could be collapsing, and Spurs could steal their place.

I still say we finish 2nd. I am confident about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomsy13 View Post
    This sounds to me like when we beat Dortmund in a pre-season game right after we sold Suarez and people told me i should not be worried about the upcoming season we just beat one of the best teams in Europe. If you know what i mean. We are now 3rd and we achieved that WITH Coutinho, not without him. Let's see how we do without him. My problem is that we looked all lost against the mighty Swansea and West Brom and i expect many performances like those now without a single creative midfielder who can unlock defences.
    The ox bro he is doing just fine and i believe if he is giving more game time he will improve more. inconsistent my arse his goal against city started the storm of goals.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s contribution for
    @lfc today
    67 touches (most for Liverpool)
    39 passes, 31 completed
    8 crosses (most for Liverpool)
    3 chances created, 1 assist
    2 shots, both on target
    3rd PL goal this season - best scoring season
    in PL of career
    7:11 PM - Jan 14, 2018
    65 1,633 5,421
    Sky Sports Statto
    @SkySportsStatto

Yet some folks will just mouth of crap just to have a moan ox has been incosistent how has he been.he haa come into a new team and to me he is doing just fine.i hate when people just dismiss a player.
    He might not be coutiho but i believe he give us good games.i wasn't really a fan but i have been impressed by his game and he will improve under klopp.
    Last edited by firmino.no.9; 2-2-18 at 12:31.

Quote Originally Posted by firmino.no.9 View Post
    @lfc today
    39 passes, 31 completed
    2 shots, both on target
    in PL of career
    65 1,633 5,421
    Sky Sports Statto
    @SkySportsStatto

Yet some folks will just mouth of crap just to have a moan ox has been incosistent how has he been.he haa come into a new team and to me he is doing just fine.i hate when people just dismiss a player.
    He might not be coutiho but i believe he give us good games.i wasn't really a fan but i have been impressed by his game and he will improve under klopp.
    He's been poor in the last two games, the stats mean **** all to me. Hopefully he will improve..

Quote Originally Posted by firmino.no.9 View Post
    @lfc today
    39 passes, 31 completed
    2 shots, both on target
    in PL of career
    65 1,633 5,421
    Sky Sports Statto
    @SkySportsStatto

No player was much good against Swansea or West Brom. Ox was striving and working hard.

raybarnes is offline Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    We'll finish 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by grudge View Post
    He's been poor in the last two games, the stats mean **** all to me. Hopefully he will improve..
    Aww ox was poor in the last 2 games so has every player in football kane was dry for how long.but that is ok our's are cyborgs ox has been fine.

what amazes me is how our fans seem to always rate out opponents better where is that totenham that the media could not get enough of below us even the mighty chelsea and also creeping on manure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    That is incorrect. The maximum per association is 5. If both the EL and CL winners are from the same association and it would normally get 4 CL spots the 4th place finisher will be demoted to the EL in favor of the 2 champions if both fail to finish in the top 4.
    New rules from this year. Take a look at the wording of the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by agb1037 View Post
    No player was much good against Swansea or West Brom. Ox was striving and working hard.
    Ox has more ability than a lot of players .He should be more imposing on a game .If we are to finish top 4,he needs to start performing much better.He Can't just work hard.

Ox has more ability than a lot of players .He should be more imposing on a game .If we are to finish top 4,he needs to start performing much better.He Can't just work hard.
    ox will do his bit i believe this team will finish in the top 4.

The rule, as currently listed on the UEFA website, says exactly what I put-no federation is allowed more than 5 spots in the CL...

how can you be so confident?

Taking us out of the equation, what order do people think United, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal will finish? I think that.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Muse_BMirror View Post
    how can you be so confident?
    Who? About what?

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    Taking us out of the equation, what order do people think United, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal will finish? I think that.
    Tough to call, even tougher if you add us into the mix. It seems to change every game now, Chelsea looked good bets for 2nd/3rd before the Bournemouth game and now they might struggle for top 4, I thought Utd would put up more of a fight against Spurs but seems like they beat them fairly easily (couldn't watch the match, just going on what I've heard). Arsenal I think will finish bottom of the pile, but they might pull some incredible form out of the bag (as they often do) and surprise everyone. And most of them still have multiple games against one another to come (and City and us) which could change things dramatically.

But I'd probably go along with your list as things stand...with us above all of them.

Spurs will top that list if they stay reasonably healthy. United will continue to be exposed as a fraud when they play the other top 6 sides rather than the parade of bottom feeders they've seen in the second half (much like the beginning of the season). Chelsea are a train wreck lately and Arsenal are almost complete unknowns at this point so how those 3 shake out is up in the air a bit. I'd lean towards Spurs, Chelsea, ManUre, Arsenal unless Arsenal crashes out of the Europa League early as they will eventually give up league position to use that route into the CL...

Good question.

Spurs have had their bad patch I think, and weathered it very well. Utd seem to be in a constant bad patch, yet keep getting results. Chelsea look to be in the midst of some serious problems, at least potentially, so could arguably see them have a meltdown. Arsenal always seem to find form when it’s least expected, and now have some very good players to make you think they’ll find some very good form.

I’ll go for an outside guess of-

Spurs
    Utd
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Tough to call, even tougher if you add us into the mix. It seems to change every game now, Chelsea looked good bets for 2nd/3rd before the Bournemouth game and now they might struggle for top 4, I thought Utd would put up more of a fight against Spurs but seems like they beat them fairly easily (couldn't watch the match, just going on what I've heard). Arsenal I think will finish bottom of the pile, but they might pull some incredible form out of the bag (as they often do) and surprise everyone. And most of them still have multiple games against one another to come (and City and us) which could change things dramatically.

But I'd probably go along with your list as things stand...with us above all of them.
    I don't know, I've been thinking for a while that Chelsea seem to be in some kind of trouble and fancied Spurs to go past them - this weekend's results just makes me think that might happen sooner rather than later.

I agree that it's tough to call though - I don't think there's going to be much more than a handful of points separating 2nd-5th or maybe even 6th, although I think there might be a bit of a gap to Arsenal.

I don't know, I've been thinking for a while that Chelsea seem to be in some kind of trouble and fancied Spurs to go past them - this weekend's results just makes me think that might happen sooner rather than later.

I agree that it's tough to call though - I don't think there's going to be much more than a handful of points separating 2nd-5th or maybe even 6th, although I think there might be a bit of a gap to Arsenal.
    Definitely, GD might even be needed to separate some, and that's pretty close too.

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    After tonight results...

1. Manchester City - W22 - D3 - L1 - GF74 - GA19 - GD55 - PTS 69
    2. Manchester United - W17 - D5 - L4 - GF51 - GA18 - GD33 - PTS 56
    3. LIVERPOOL - W14 - D8 - L3 - GF57 - GA29 - GD28 - PTS 50
    4. Chelsea - W15 - D5 - L5 - GF45 - GA19 - GD26 - PTS 50
    5. Spurs - W14 - D6 - L5 - GF49 - GA22 - GD27 - PTS 48
    6. Arsenal - W13 - D6 - L7 - GF51 - GA35 - GD16- PTS 45

Massive game tomorrow.

Win for us sees some daylight and drift away from Spurs and Arsenal. Spurs win, they go 3rd and we drop to 4th.
    Last edited by MacFoley'1975; 3-2-18 at 20:32.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    After tonight results...

3. LIVERPOOL - W14 - D8 - L3 - GF57 - GA29 - GD28 - PTS 50
    4. Chelsea - W15 - D5 - L5 - GF45 - GA19 - GD26 - PTS 50
    5. Spurs - W14 - D6 - L5 - GF49 - GA22 - GD27 - PTS 48
    6. Arsenal - W13 - D6 - L7 - GF51 - GA35 - GD16- PTS 45

Massive game tomorrow.

Win for us sees some daylight and drift away from Spurs and Arsenal. Spurs win, they go 3rd and we drop to 4th.
    Really need to win, even if we only draw that gives the goners a glimmer of hope and spudz will fancy catching us as well as letting chelski off the hook for dropped points.

I deliberately removed the rest of the table, no point looking at the tail of the car/runner in front or the leader way off in the distance, focus on maintaining your position, your pace and don't make a mistake trying to catch up thus letting the car/runner behind overtake you..... Let's focus on us first and foremost, a win over spudz please then let the two below us fight it out and hopefully drop points in our favour. All we can do and should do is win our games and if slips from sides come above us then we'll be in position to take advantage.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Top four is definitely in our hands, especially if we beat Spurs this afternoon. Just depends how many more Swansea like performances will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    We're as about as good as our rivals around us as the table shows, trips to Chelsea and Utd will be difficult not to mention the derby at Goodison, but it'll be more about how the sides cope with champions league football.

A few on here seem obsessed with our weaknesses but none of our rivals are without theirs if you watch them for long enough and not assume they are superior (as the table shows).

I think Spurs will have a squad depth issue, Arsenal have a points deficit and no midfield to speak of to contend with, while Utd despite all their spending seem to be stuttering again with a manager who I think will find it increasingly hard to utilise the attacking talents at his disposal....while Pogba remains very much more about hype than reality

Chelsea are a bit weird, Conte is at odds with the team and seems unsettled and not happy with his squad and they lack a trusty striker which their system relies on far more. Morata's a confidence player and Giroud will help but not shoulder the burden.

So its anyone's guess as three of the 5 teams including us, have the capacity to collapse or implode with drama, Arsenal and Spurs being the other two
    Chelsea situation is so bizarre, has there Russian owner got no more money or is it not in love with the game anymore

Most of the signings have been rough potential not their usual high standard quality

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulHistory View Post
    Chelsea situation is so bizarre, has there Russian owner got no more money or is it not in love with the game anymore

Most of the signings have been rough potential not their usual high standard quality
    Spending has simply gone to a different stratosphere , so its not just our Owners that are up against state funded Owners.