Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Will LFC win the battle to finish in the top 4?

fredthecamel is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    What do we want from the Utd - Chelsea game coming up next in the league for them? A Utd win would surely be a boost for top 4, but a Chelsea win or a draw would put us right up in the mix for 2nd. Chelsea play City away after that too. And we still have to play Utd away in a few weeks.
    draw
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Daymo68 View Post
    I’d say Spurs are playing very well at the moment also.

I think they are a better balanced side than ourselves.

However just 1 defeat in 22 shows even with our issues we are getting results which bodes well for sure. However even with that very good record 2nd to 5th is very tight.

We just have to stay consistent with winning as the difference between all the sides overall is minimal

Again just hope we are lucky with injuries till the end of the season. Especially the front 3.
    i agree about spurs.....i think they are a bit more settled than us rather than balanced....

we have brought in a lot of new players in the last 18 months

i dont think they are better than us but a more settled side is helping them

davevietnam is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundLady View Post
    Battle is for the top 2.

I want Chelsea to beat United because I want 2nd place.
    I think its between us and Spurs for second place, I also want Chelsea to win because firstly seeing United lose gives me great pleasure and joy, and secondly I would love them to miss out on top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post
    I think its between us and Spurs for second place, I also want Chelsea to win because firstly seeing United lose gives me great pleasure and joy, and secondly I would love them to miss out on top 4.
    so do i actually but i wouldnt rule out a late arsenal run

its gonna be down to the wire with the whole top six

will we get there. absolutely

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fredthecamel View Post
    so do i actually but i wouldnt rule out a late arsenal run

its gonna be down to the wire with the whole top six

will we get there. absolutely
    Arsenal are 7 points behind what I would say are a much better team than them at the moment (Spurs)

It would have to be one hell of a run.

They probs have the worst defence in the top 6 at the moment.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

fowlers2atgrayskull is online now Academy prospect
    Looking at the bigger picture we really want Spurs and Arsenal out of the top four. It would be irrelevant if Man U, or Arab Oil and Russian Oil finished 5th or lower as they pay ridiculous wages, have tons of money and can keep the top players they have and buy new ones even if they have Thursday Cup Football.

Now say Spurs finish 5th, all of a sudden you have half a dozen players on half the money of their equals at other clubs, with no Champions League. We may even be competing with Spurs or Arsenal for players.

I believe we need to see these two off long term and become a regular top four team again, which will enable us to build and retain title challenging teams.

Yes I have been a roller coaster this season with emotions, doubts, positives, negatives, doubts, positives

It looks like no scratch that we will get top 4 quite easily

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulHistory View Post
    Yes I have been a roller coaster this season with emotions, doubts, positives, negatives, doubts, positives

Will be scratching my head if arsenal do

Quote Originally Posted by fowlers2atgrayskull View Post
    Looking at the bigger picture we really want Spurs and Arsenal out of the top four. It would be irrelevant if Man U, or Arab Oil and Russian Oil finished 5th or lower as they pay ridiculous wages, have tons of money and can keep the top players they have and buy new ones even if they have Thursday Cup Football.

Now say Spurs finish 5th, all of a sudden you have half a dozen players on half the money of their equals at other clubs, with no Champions League. We may even be competing with Spurs or Arsenal for players.

I believe we need to see these two off long term and become a regular top four team again, which will enable us to build and retain title challenging teams.
    What Tottenham did to get established as a model what you would see in Europe

Sell your best player is invest by buying better players for the whole team

What Tottenham have done is stagnate rather than progress as they haven't brought young alternative Talent in case they lose their big players

If they sell Kane and Alli everyone in the world football world wood know they got money and their prices to buy players with go off the roof for them

Quote Originally Posted by rederman View Post
    Will be scratching my head if arsenal do
    The vast majority of times in the PL, 72 points has been good enough to get 4th place; for Arsenal to get to 72 points they would need to 2.45 ppg from now until the end of the season. Their remaining fixtures don't look too bad, with the only top sides they have to play being ManC (H) and ManU (A), but Arsenal are so inconsistent away from home, I just can't see them coming close to challenging for a top 4 place.

For them, its better to focus on the Europa League, and try to get back into the CL that way!

Yeah, wrote off our season in August/September, predicted Everton to finish about us. Different story now eh?

Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    Yeah, wrote off our season in August/September, predicted Everton to finish about us. Different story now eh?
    He changes his mind to suit the occasion. Hence the name 'Selectivehistory".

Is it Richard Keys in disguise?

Yep wasn't particularly happy with the start of the season

I thought potentially that Everton did have a better defence than us

But like I said in klopp's topic he's done amazing in the league and turned it around

So yes I was wrong with my prediction but that's football

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    He changes his mind to suit the occasion. Hence the name 'Selectivehistory".
    No I don't change my mindset to suit the occasion

As if anyone has been in Reading all of what I posted for the last 9 years also on here I've been pretty consistent with what I say

And then when I get things wrong I do put my hands up and say yeah I've got it wrong

Yep wasn't particularly happy with the start of the season

I thought potentially that Everton did have a better defence than us

But like I said in klopp's topic he's done amazing in the league and turned it around

So yes I was wrong with my prediction but that's football
    To be honest, after the Spurs and City losses, where we lost bad, I did say we don't look like a top 4 team during that time. Since then we have turned it around and now the potential to finish 2nd is on.

I would say if only we sorted out our heads after the international breaks, we could be in a better position, but happy enough with our league form. Going out of the FA cup is a bit of a set back, but if it turns into something positive, finishing 2nd and latter stage of the CL, I would take that.

No I don't change my mindset to suit the occasion

As if anyone has been in Reading all of what I posted for the last 9 years also on here I've been pretty consistent with what I say

And then when I get things wrong I do put my hands up and say yeah I've got it wrong
    No you don't you change your mind and change the goalposts and go off topic. You also throw the 'victim card". You repeatedly revert back to previous managers when it's irrelevant.

To be honest, after the Spurs and City losses, where we lost bad, I did say we don't look like a top 4 team during that time. Since then we have turned it around and now the potential to finish 2nd is on.

I would say if only we sorted out our heads after the international breaks, we could be in a better position, but happy enough with our league form. Going out of the FA cup is a bit of a set back, but if it turns into something positive, finishing 2nd and latter stage of the CL, I would take that.
    Great post as usual that's why I respect you as you have a lot of common sense and great opinions

Yep top 3 or 2nd will be great for this season

Quote Originally Posted by Kloppsstars View Post
    No you don't you change your mind and change the goalposts and go off topic. You also throw the 'victim card". You repeatedly revert back to previous managers when it's irrelevant.
    Again like I said to another poster if you don't like what I'm saying don't respond to me

If really believe what you're saying about me is true why bother responding to me

Again like I said to the other poster I'm not going to respond anymore to you

...anyway a wishful thinking post...

CHELSEA...lost 2 on the bounce. I have predicted Chelsea to scrape a 2-1 win tonight....BUT...

They will be playing against a Pardew West Brom team, and going into a game like tonight off the back off 2 losses, this is by no way an easy match for them. Pardew will have West Brom, you would hope, organised and know how to frustrate Chelsea, who already look like they are running out of ideas unless Hazard does something for them.

This could also be another game where Chelsea drop points before their Barca encounters.

...anyway a wishful thinking post...

CHELSEA...lost 2 on the bounce. I have predicted Chelsea to scrape a 2-1 win tonight....BUT...

They will be playing against a Pardew West Brom team, and going into a game like tonight off the back off 2 losses, this is by no way an easy match for them. Pardew will have West Brom, you would hope, organised and know how to frustrate Chelsea, who already look like they are running out of ideas unless Hazard does something for them.

This could also be another game where Chelsea drop points before their Barca encounters.
    Conte must be aware that he won't be around there next season, so maybe he might be tempted to go the silverware route and make that his priority.

Probably wishful thinking on my part perhaps but you'd never know.

Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    Conte must be aware that he won't be around there next season, so maybe he might be tempted to go the silverware route and make that his priority.

Probably wishful thinking on my part perhaps but you'd never know.
    That last performance against Watford, was very reminiscent of the way they played in a lot of games when Jose got sacked there a couple of seasons ago. Just seemed they have down'd tools.

In all competitions, their recent record is Pld 9, W3, D3, L3 - which is average - but the way they fell apart at home to B'mouth and most recently away at Watford was quite alarming to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jag1980 View Post
    That last performance against Watford, was very reminiscent of the way they played in a lot of games when Jose got sacked there a couple of seasons ago. Just seemed they have down'd tools.

In all competitions, their recent record is Pld 9, W3, D3, L3 - which is average - but the way they fell apart at home to B'mouth and most recently away at Watford was quite alarming to see.
    Yeah, their form of late has been bad but I guess you could say a gift as far as we are concerned. They're far from their best atm.

Couple of juicy ones coming up too, after tonight they have both manc clubs, away.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Yeah, their form of late has been bad but I guess you could say a gift as far as we are concerned. They're far from their best atm.

Couple of juicy ones coming up too, after tonight they have both manc clubs, away.
    A massive unexpected gift. Everyone was concentrating on Spurs and Chelsea suddenly nosedived right back into the conversation.

A massive unexpected gift. Everyone was concentrating on Spurs and Chelsea suddenly nosedived right back into the conversation.
    the mancs do the same. It would a great achievement to finish above them again and some craic at the same time

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    the mancs do the same. It would a great achievement to finish above them again and some craic at the same time
    If they could engineer a way to finish out of the top 4 it would be brilliant!

If they could engineer a way to finish out of the top 4 it would be brilliant!
    Oh, I'd love that

Again like I said to the other poster I'm not going to respond anymore to you
    Can you post a list of who you are and aren't responding to anymore, or the shorter of the two which I'd guess is probably heading towards those you are.

I think you should watch Fawlty Towers, Series 2 Episode 1

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x54dy0y

Some of the best comedy ever, although that and the Builders stand out far above the rest of the episodes
    People will believe what they want to believe

I'd suggest we'd be harder pressed not to stay in the top 4 than to stay in it, but with us you never know.

True we have the mancs and chavs away, our toughest two remaining games, but chavski are hardly in top form nor unbeatable, and the mancs have a nice juicily vulnerable defence and I just hope moronho pairs smallchange with that cat out of Alien. We have our bitter friends across the park to play away as the next toughest away game (on paper/in terms of league position)

After that the next highest place sides we face are Bournemouth and Watford, both at Anfield, really ought to be looking at 5+ home wins and 2-3 on the road minimum, 7-8 wins would give us 21-24 points plus any points from draws, in fact I believe from memory 79 points is the most attained and only finish 4th in the Premier League so and the other sides from a post I think I made yesterday or Saturday face more of the top eight sides including at least the same number of top 6 sides as us if not more.

I'd also suggest we've played the tougher two sides home and away already, and the goners, so if we don't finish top 4 I'd suggest we will have tossed it away.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Not entirely. They've been pretty average since the turn of the year and the noises from Conte for weeks have suggested all is not quite right in their camp.

Not saying I predicted they'd lose to Watford and Bournemouth, and certainly not both by 3 goals, but the defeats themselves were not completely out of the blue.