Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Will LFC win the battle to finish in the top 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Anil_Y2j View Post
    Which one do you see us dropping points in?
    High chances of us dropping points away to Huddersfield and Southampton also West ham always gets something at Anfield.
    Tough games coming up
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by SriHanuman View Post
    High chances of us dropping points away to Huddersfield and Southampton also West ham always gets something at Anfield.
    Tough games coming up
    Tbf, Southampton away does looks a bit tough.They might have a new manager by the time we play them.

Tough games coming up
    If we continue to be creatively pathetic against bus parking ... then YES ... we will drop points ...

Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    Our next 5 prem fixtures

Huddersfield Town (a)
    Spurs (h)
    Southampton (a)
    West Ham (h)
    Newcastle (H)

Maxi points?
    Put Swansea (a) at the front of that before the last game and you could have just asked the same question and same probable answers......
    People will believe what they want to believe

Looks like the dark forces of trolling( that goes on here on regular basis) are having an effect on you.
    Or just the fact that we lost the last game............

Quote Originally Posted by livrule View Post
    If we continue to be creatively pathetic against bus parking ... then YES ... we will drop points ...
    We have scored 29 goals in 11 games against the bottom ten losing only once.

Our next 5 prem fixtures

Huddersfield Town (a)
    Spurs (h)
    Southampton (a)
    West Ham (h)
    Newcastle (H)

Maxi points?
    GOT to win the next two ... Will settle things and set us up nicely.

Southampton were **** at Anfield ... but away possibly different.

West Ham and Toon ... We should be battering ... But with rotating up front now looking a risky thing of the past, the team could start looking jaded very quickly.

We NEED another forward ...

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Tbf, Southampton away does looks a bit tough.They might have a new manager by the time we play them.
    Thought they handled Spurs well and frustrated them.

Cool. Then I look forward to Swansea being a one-off that doesn't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by livrule View Post
    Cool. Then I look forward to Swansea being a one-off that doesn't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Or just the fact that we lost the last game............
    Nah. Is the fact that we will be going on a bleak run sooner or later.

Jur-Gone is online now Previous username 'Klopp-OUT' just for reference
    I think Arsenal will finish 4th especially if they get Aubameyang.

Ozil
    Aubameyang
    Mkhitaryan
    Lacazette

Those four plus Wilshere playing very well will be too strong for the small teams. Their run in is the easiest of the top 6.

Tottenham will probably fall behind when they lose to United, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Liverpool will do well against the top teams but we’ll drop points against Huddersfield, West Ham, Southampton etc.

1 City
    2 United
    3 Chelsea
    4 Arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by Jur-Gone View Post

Ozil
    Aubameyang
    Mkhitaryan
    Lacazette

Those four plus Wilshere playing very well will be too strong for the small teams. Their run in is the easiest of the top 6.

Tottenham will probably fall behind when they lose to United, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Liverpool will do well against the top teams but we’ll drop points against Huddersfield, West Ham, Southampton etc.

1 City
    2 United
    3 Chelsea
    4 Arsenal
    Looks like we have the final verdict we all were waiting for.
    Thread Closed.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Looks like we have the final verdict we all were waiting for.
    Thread Closed.
    Jur-Gone formally Klopp-OUT - always the voice of reason.

Ok forget next 5 games and trying to put positive spins, top four won't be decided by the next 5 games but the next FOURTEEN.

How many points will we need? Well let's see what points target will be achieved by sets of results

78 > P14 W9 D4 L1 PTS 31. Possible, we've a won vs not won split of 13-11 so would need to do very well, and have to play at manc central and chavksi
    75 > P14 W8 D4 L2 PTS 28. Very doable, spudz would have to win 9 and draw 3 to go level on points with us and GD is level already
    72 > P14 W7 D4 L3 PTS 25. Let's have that as plan C or worse, too much scope for teams below to gain the 2+ points on us that would see them overtake us.

We have to be aiming for 8-9 wins from here on in, be a bit of a struggle if we can't win 3+ of those listed in the OP. And one very relevant set of stats missing from the OP is what it took to finish top four past few seasons :

Points tally of teams finishing 4th (10/11 to 16/17)

16/17 : 76 points, Liverpool (clear by 1 point)
    15/16 : 66 points, Man City (clear by 16 GD)
    14/15 : 70 points, Man Utd (clear by 6 points)
    13/14 : 79 points, Arsenal (clear by 7 points)
    12/13 : 73 points, Arsenal (clear by 1 point)
    11/12 : 69 points, Tottenham (clear by 4 points)
    10/11 : 68 points, Arsenal (clear by 6 points)

A few low points under 70, but with 42 points available and it needing 'only' 23, 25 and 28 for current 4-6 respectively to reach 70 points, and those taking like 7-8, 7-9 and 8-10 wins to attain then you'd be surprised if all three failed to pass the 70 mark. Would be nice to manage 76 points again, however that might take say 9 wins and 2 draws so I just can't see us suddenly becoming a team that doesn't often draw although in fairness before the loss on Monday we had won 10 of the previous 14 games which is the kind of form we'd like to repeat.

Form of the last 14 games would give us W9 D4 L1 PTS 31 which would put us on 78 points and near that phenomenal tally Arsenal managed in 13/14, but even if you pencil in a draw and defeat for the two games against top four rivals that would leave us needing 9 wins and 3 draws in the other 12 games and I'm not sure we score enough goals when we really need them. Fantastic that we've scored 54 goals this season, but break it down and :

Scored 0-1 goals : P10 W1 D6 L3 F6 A14 PTS 9 (Won 10.00%, CS x3)
    Scored 2+ goals : P14 W12 D2 L0 F48 A15 PTS 38 (Won 85.71%, CS x6)

We revel in our attacking brilliance, but in truth they don't score 2+ goals as often as they're capable of, around 42% of the time failing to score more than once max and we've dropped far too many points in those 10 games - TWENTY ONE points. Sure we've dropped points when scoring 2+ but a small proportion and whilst you might expect that it's not just that you drop points when you don't score 2+ but how often that happens. Last season we scored 2+ goals in 23 games out of 38, we'd have to do it in 9 of the last 14 games to repeat that this season and we didn't have Salah last season.

It isn't like we concede loads more when we score 2+ goals than when we don't, and twice as many clean sheets in only 4 more games.

Don't go throwing facts at people who want to spread doom and gloom.

Even against a parked bus we created enough that we should have got a draw minimum, problem wasn't how (tactically) they played but how (poorly) we did

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Jur-Gone formally Klopp-OUT - always the voice of reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jur-Gone View Post

Ozil
    Aubameyang
    Mkhitaryan
    Lacazette

1 City
    2 United
    3 Chelsea
    4 Arsenal
    Can't see Chelsea finishing above us!!
    they're are crumbling and Conte don't look too happy.
    Europa games will start hurting Arsenal's chances of finishing in the top 4.
    Mkhitaryan and PEA will also need games before the start settling in the Arsenal squad.
    We have a settled strong squad i will be very surprised if we don't finish 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    Don't go throwing facts at people who want to spread doom and gloom.

Even against a parked bus we created enough that we should have got a draw minimum, problem wasn't how (tactically) they played but how (poorly) we did
    Agree.It's not like other big teams create lots of chances against these type of sides but they are more clinical with the couple of chances they get like we ourselves did that against Everton, Leicester,burnely etc. Even though we were quite poor on the day, we created enough chances against Swansea to win the game but we failed to take them.It happens.I'm sure we'll bounce back from that loss.

Can't see Chelsea finishing above us!!
    they're are crumbling and Conte don't look too happy.
    Europa games will start hurting Arsenal's chances of finishing in the top 4.
    Mkhitaryan and PEA will also need games before the start settling in the Arsenal squad.
    We have a settled strong squad i will be very surprised if we don't finish 3rd.
    This.

Yes.

I was somewhat confident we'd be finishing second tbh, but it's been a tough week for us, not just our result, but with the improvements that Utd and Arsenal have made, and are making.

I wonder did we anticipate they'd both do what they've done? And if it will have any impact on our thinking for the rest of the window.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    Yes.

I was somewhat confident we'd be finishing second tbh, but it's been a tough week for us, not just our result, but with the improvements that Utd and Arsenal have made, and are making.

I wonder did we anticipate they'd both do what they've done? And if it will have any impact on our thinking for the rest of the window.
    Our "stubborn old man" will wait.

Yes.

Same mate. Honestly think that if we sort our **** out, IE no more Swansea results, and we could well be looking at 2nd.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

Yes.

I doubt it will tbh.

Same mate. Honestly think that if we sort our **** out, IE no more Swansea results, and we could well be looking at 2nd.
    We shouldn't be losing a match like that, especially with the high we've been on. I wonder if we just believed the hype too much, and it got into their heads. Klopp was fuming afterwards, and played his strongest hand too, so the complacency wasn't coming from him.

I hope it at least wakes him up to the fact that we really do have a problem when the bus is parked securely, and maybe he'll think of a plan B.

I doubt it will tbh.
    Yeah, probably not, but I'd say it's been a bit of a shock to the system.

We shouldn't be losing a match like that, especially with the high we've been on. I wonder if we just believed the hype too much, and it got into their heads. Klopp was fuming afterwards, and played his strongest hand too, so the complacency wasn't coming from him.

I hope it at least wakes him up to the fact that we really do have a problem when the bus is parked securely, and maybe he'll think of a plan B.
    It just wasn't the result though. It was the performance. It was the worst of the season, against the worst team in the prem. It was a total case of a giant killing and upset. We never looked like scoring.

I understand other people's, brushing the result under the carpet and don't seem bothered. Maybe I should take a leaf from their book and not let it get to me as much. We finish in the top 4, the result performance won't matter. We don't finish in the top 4, being the first team to beat Man City won't matter either. It's like that for me bud.

I doubt it will tbh.
    Yeah, I suppose if we look at it like that before the City match, not many people had us down to win that game. So with us, we are totally unpredictable. Maybe Swans will never happen again this season after all.

What about this?

-------Gomez---Matip-----VVD----------
    ----------Can------------Ox--------------
    Mane----------Lallana--------------Salah
    -------Firmino---Sturridge/Solanke-----

For the really stubborn buses that offer nothing going forward. Mane and Salah would have to really stay out wide though which isn't really their game but could be effective I think.

Perhaps when we don't have the ball Ox and Gomez could become FB/WB's and Firmino and Lallana could drop deeper to make a more orthodox 4-2-3-1 formation.

I reckon we shall, indeed, struggle to stay in the top four.

Early season work might get us there but it will be very tight.