Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 4 - will we do it?

NY Mike is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza74 View Post
    Ok, you are right, but it's only fair to add in that we did strengthen our defence with Van Dijk, we didn't do absolutely nothing, we just didn't do anywhere near enough.
    And yet, even with that, I'm not feeling remotely good about this window and LFC still look like mugs.

What top team sells its best player mid season without at least a guaranteed replacement lined up? It's absurd. It's not like we can say we've got Top 4 locked up.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Gazza74 is online now LFC Hall of Fame Resident
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Mike View Post
    And yet, even with that, I'm not feeling remotely good about this window and LFC still look like mugs.

What top team sells its best player mid season without at least a guaranteed replacement lined up? It's absurd. It's not like we can say we've got Top 4 locked up.
    I know that, i just thought it was only fair you added that into that list for those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Mike View Post

Leipzig didn't give us Keita early, why should we have done the same with Coutinho? Club comes first.

Probably not and if that happens Klopp must go.

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Karius View Post
    So, simple question. Will we nail a top 4 spot this season?

Current table - http://www.skysports.com/premier-league-table

Remaining fixtures - https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/...rpool/fixtures

Big games - Spurs (H), Man Utd (A), Everton (A), Chelsea (A)

We will lose at least 2 games between now end end of season. It depends on if the other clubs around us drop points. The spurs game don't have a good feeling about.

Hopefully we will still do it but emotions are going get intense on these boards...

Quote Originally Posted by drexciya View Post
    Probably not and if that happens Klopp must go.
    I think we'll sneak top 4 - I remember this discussion 12 months ago and Klopp eventually prevailed.. However, I think the swashbuckling performances of 2017 are gone and we will be far more pragmatic which is how we turned the corner last year..

I so hope Jurgen can do it because the guy lives and breathes this club and that is a rare thing indeed..

The game later will give us a better indication!

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    No. The squad is too thin, the midfield is too weak, the defense is too porous and the less said about our keepers the better.

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    Yes I think we'll scrape it.
    ?

I think we’ll miss out due to not being able to rotate our front 3, and obvious deficiencies at the back.

Although I suppose if we do go out of the CL to Porto we’ll only have 1 game per week so would give us a better chance.

Think we’ve massively gambled this window and it will backfire

Ok, you are right, but it's only fair to add in that we did strengthen our defence with Van Dijk, we didn't do absolutely nothing, we just didn't do anywhere near enough.
    That’s the positive, and hopefully he can help take us up a level defensively.

Obviously the early signs of that aren’t there though, looks like he’s been playing in our defence for years

I think we'll just about get there....just.

I think I should going to be tight. I expect UTD is certainty there and I also think Chelsea will make it if there is no further unrest, beyond that is difficult to bet, even Arsenal has an outside chance.

Quote Originally Posted by brummiered01 View Post
    I think we’ll miss out due to not being able to rotate our front 3, and obvious deficiencies at the back.

Although I suppose if we do go out of the CL to Porto we’ll only have 1 game per week so would give us a better chance.

Think we’ve massively gambled this window and it will backfire
    The way we are playing at the moment is perfectly feasible that Porto would beat us.

Obviously the early signs of that aren’t there though, looks like he’s been playing in our defence for years
    It is amazing/depressing how that happens! Matip has regressed and Lovren has, well always been Lovren. Klavan has probably been the most consistent and maybe he is the steadiest player to partner VVD?

I think Virg has the presence and quality to settle down and make it work, but he now knows the challenge he faces trying to organise our central defence AND our goalkeepers, who both just add to the uncertainty back there.

None out of us, Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal look nailed on, and I think it'll go down to the last weekend. Hopefully it's in our hands at that point, rather than relying on others.

We just seem to have hampered our own chances with this transfer window. VVD was obviously a plus point, but we needed another body in the attacking area of the pitch. It didn't have to be a direct replacement for Phil, but we needed something. Lallana has shown we can't rely on him, as his personal injury list continues to grow. And now we've let another attacking player go out on loan. I never want us to go out of a competition, but due to the thread bare nature of the squad, the defeat on the weekend was probably a blessing in the long term.

If Arsenal get Aubameyang, then we're the only team competing for top 4 that hasn't improved their squad overall in this window. That's a concern when we're not exactly light years ahead of the rest. The reliance on the likes of Bobby, Mo and Mane is now huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer-LFC View Post
    In January the first I thought yes.

Now I think its going to be a real struggle.

The sale of Phil and not replacing him means that if Salah or Firmino get ruled out for a long time we are finished.
    That's the reality. Without those two we will still win some games but we will drop points and our confidence will be all over the place as will ours as fans. We've got a tough end of season rollercoaster ahead.

Even if we do manage top 4, our transfer dealings will still need looking at as top 4 finish for us will probably say more about the teams around us than our abilities. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot and making life difficult. Why.

Touch and go.

We are two points clear in 4th and have a very good Spurs side and a (possibly) strengthened Arsenal side, if they sign Aubameyang, snapping at our heels.

We can be brilliant on our day, but you can never rely on our squad to produce the goods. They're too flaky, inconsistent and weak mentally. Man City or not, the way we allowed a completely dominant position of being
    4-1 up at home after 80mins to change into be clinging on by the 94th minute just shows how schizophrenic we are.

As rat boy said when we lost to SPurs at Wembley "these players will lull you into thinking they're good enough after a few good performances, but will always let you down". Van Dijk is an excellent centre back, but he's one player. As long as he has a sub-par central midfield in front of him, sub-par defenders next to him and sub-par goalkeepers behind him his influence will be limited.

I'm hopeful we'll finish top 4, but you can never be sure of anything with this Liverpool side.

Yes, i didn't analyze it, just said it was only fair he was added as all other clubs incoming were..

We've lost one game in the league in 19 matches. As dire as the Swansea game was I still have us as favourites to get 4th. Shame that that is the limit of the ambition though.

We'll be scrapping for it until the end like last season, I'm confident about that.

My main worry is that Arsenal are potentially improving before tomorrow, Spurs won't go away so there's not really any team we can rule out.

The big issue currently is how we're making ourselves weaker not stronger.

GrottonRed is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    I thought we'd struggle before we bought Virgil...then I was confident we'd make it.

Then we sold, Phil and I was back to doubting.

If we get the defence working as well as it can, we will probably scrape through.

But...and I know transfer windows can do it to you...I do feel we are as likely to finish 6th as finish 4th atm.
    Life President of TEPS...The Ellipsis Preservation Society.

What disgusts me is that I believe we should be aiming for 2nd place. Plus a run to the semis of the CL.

This month has killed off those hopes and now we are back to the old Liverpool routine of trying to crawl over the line for 4th.

No ambition.

CrawleyRed is online now The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    In all honesty I'd say I'm teetering on the side of no, having been super confident just 8 days ago.

Wouldn't rule it out, but that's largely because Spurs might have a wobble if Kane happens to get injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Al87 View Post
    We've lost one game in the league in 19 matches. As dire as the Swansea game was I still have us as favourites to get 4th. Shame that that is the limit of the ambition though.
    And we had Coutinho for most of those games. Since he left we have won 1/3.

Yes we will.

Although losing Coutinho and Sturridge without replacing them leaves us scarily thin up front. Desperate to see Woodburn now.

We let Coutinho and Sturridge go and we have brought Van Dijk in.

Our backup strikers are Ings and Solanke and our best midfielder as it stands is more likely to be on the treatment table than on the pitch.

No matter how you look at it, it's a disgraceful transfer window and it will take an almighty miracle to scrape fourth as it stands.

Quote Originally Posted by pete752 View Post
    We let Coutinho and Sturridge go and we have brought Van Dijk in.

Our backup strikers are Ings and Solanke and our best midfielder as it stands is more likely to be on the treatment table than on the pitch.

No matter how you look at it, it's a disgraceful transfer window and it will take an almighty miracle to scrape fourth as it stands.
    I know that.

Yes I'm quite confident we will.

I know that.
    I mentioned that to put the Van Dijk acquisition in context. A fine player, no doubt and one that would be a success here in the long run.

But Klopp and FSG need to carry the can for the irresponsibility of jeopardizing our season by their unacceptable transfer window decisions. People keep saying Sturridge will be no loss, but neither Ings nor Solanke are capable of hitting a barn door as it stands. Absolute shambles to go from a position of strength and looking at second place to shooting ourselves in the foot in the span of three weeks.