Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 4 - will we do it?

aylesbyred is offline Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by BlowUpMyBoots View Post
    Yes, we are better equipped this season than last season even with Phil gone, Chelsea and Spurs are weaker than last season and Arsenal are Arsenal.

So I'm going with yes.
    Me too, theres no reason to panic just yet, we've lost one game in the league; sure lose another one and we hit a slump but a win tonight and the whole thing changes; UNited, CHelsea, Spurs and Arsenal will all drop more points; people are talking about those clubs like they're City
    53757 - declared
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't, but my gut feeling is that we will. Though, unlike last year, it won't make the season a success.

Quote Originally Posted by Alon1 View Post
    I think I should going to be tight. I expect UTD is certainty there and I also think Chelsea will make it if there is no further unrest, beyond that is difficult to bet, even Arsenal has an outside chance.
    If they sign Aubemeyang they'll be in with a shot

Quote Originally Posted by RoyStapleton View Post
    If they sign Aubameyang they'll have much more than a shot, they will finish above us.

If Aubameyang were to get injured, their backup is Lacazette.

If Firmino were to get injured, our backup is either Solanke or Danny Ings (neither of whom have scored in English football since 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by pete752 View Post
    I mentioned that to put the Van Dijk acquisition in context. A fine player, no doubt and one that would be a success here in the long run.

But Klopp and FSG need to carry the can for the irresponsibility of jeopardizing our season by their unacceptable transfer window decisions. People keep saying Sturridge will be no loss, but neither Ings nor Solanke are capable of hitting a barn door as it stands. Absolute shambles to go from a position of strength and looking at second place to shooting ourselves in the foot in the span of three weeks.
    Replacing Coutinho with quality is never going to be an easy thing to do, but to let Sturridge leave and having to rely solely on two strikers who've never done anything of note to date is totally unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanHenderSam View Post
    If they sign Aubameyang they'll have much more than a shot, they will finish above us.

If Aubameyang were to get injured, their backup is Lacazette.

If Firmino were to get injured, our backup is either Solanke or Danny Ings (neither of whom have scored in English football since 2015)
    Having to rely on either Solanke or Ings would definitely end our season.

Replacing Coutinho with quality is never going to be an easy thing to do, but to let Sturridge leave and having to rely solely on two strikers who've never done anything of note to date is totally unacceptable.
    It's an absolute farce that Sturridge and Origi are out on loan whilst Solanke and Ings are our backup strikers. Absolute incompetent farce.

It's an absolute farce that Sturridge and Origi are out on loan whilst Solanke and Ings are our backup strikers. Absolute incompetent farce.
    From a squad perspective, nothing has really changed since Rodgers was here - we're back to relying on mediocrity to provide sufficient backup if any of our starting XI get injured.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawleyRed View Post
    In all honesty I'd say I'm teetering on the side of no, having been super confident just 8 days ago.

Wouldn't rule it out, but that's largely because Spurs might have a wobble if Kane happens to get injured.
    Would that we had Steve McMahon playing for us Sunday....!

From a squad perspective, nothing has really changed since Rodgers was here - we're back to relying on mediocrity to provide sufficient backup if any of our starting XI get injured.
    Either all the managers end up losing their minds or the constraints put on them from Boston details their progress.

I believe its the latter.

They wonít. Theyíve a worse defence than us, and dare I say, a worse midfield too.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoBaggio94 View Post
    They won’t. They’ve a worse defence than us, and dare I say, a worse midfield too.
    Defence is on par and they absolutely do not have a worse midfield. When they sign Aubameyang they'll have a better squad than us which will lead to them eventually overtaking us

They won’t. They’ve a worse defence than us, and dare I say, a worse midfield too.
    Wilshire back to his best and consistent, Ramsey, Ozil and now Mkhitaryan....?

Defence is on par and they absolutely do not have a worse midfield. When they sign Aubameyang they'll have a better squad than us which will lead to them eventually overtaking us
    I disagree with that.

Weíll just have to see wonít we.

If they have a midfield at all, it's better than ours by default.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Wilshire back to his best and consistent, Ramsey, Ozil and now Mkhitaryan....?
    Wilshere back to his best? What has he done, seriously though. Heís donít nothing at all.

Ramsey is as bang average as it gets and hasnít played well for ages, Ozil is all of a sudden great again too because our fans have got a cob on.

Mkhitaryan, heís been grim for the best part of 18 months. But letís all pretend heís top class eh.

Considering how crap our side is, Klopp really must be doing a stellar job.

Wilshere back to his best? What has he done, seriously though. He’s don’t nothing at all.

Ramsey is as bang average as it gets and hasn’t played well for ages, Ozil is all of a sudden great again too because our fans have got a cob on.

Mkhitaryan, he’s been grim for the best part of 18 months. But let’s all pretend he’s top class eh.

Wilshere and ÷zil walk into our team. Mkhitaryan had a torrid time at Man United but that doesn't erase how good he was at Dortmund, more specifically alongside Aubameyang who Arsenal are coincidentally bringing in.

aylesbyred is offline Boot Room insider
    Wilshere back to his best? What has he done, seriously though. He’s don’t nothing at all.

Ramsey is as bang average as it gets and hasn’t played well for ages, Ozil is all of a sudden great again too because our fans have got a cob on.

Mkhitaryan, he’s been grim for the best part of 18 months. But let’s all pretend he’s top class eh.

Wilshere has looked impressive the last few games I watched, I agree on the rest though, the thing with Arsenal is they only turn up wanting to play football when they're winning, look at our game, first 15 they're were up for it, when the going was tough they all hid; get a goal and suddenly all these player appeared like rabbits out of a magicians hat; same against Huddersfield they're a ****bag team and ok they've made a couple of signings but really we'll see, Lacazatte hasn't really been as good as I thought he would be; good players don't make a good team.
    53757 - declared

We'll do it if we can bounce back asap, our front line stays relatively injury-free, we don't lose firmino to a ban, and VVD can muster the defence a bit better.

Otherwise, it could be a struggle.

Wilshere and ÷zil walk into our team. Mkhitaryan had a torrid time at Man United but that doesn't erase how good he was at Dortmund, more specifically alongside Aubameyang who Arsenal are coincidentally bringing in.
    Who does Ozil replace in our front 3?

Wilshere may get in, but Xhaka and Ramsey wouldnít. So your basing Mkhitaryan on what he did 3 years ago then. Great stuff. Perhaps we should bid for Luca Toni as a plan b.

As for Aubameyang, letís see how heís gets on before lauding him as someone whose catapulted Arsenal into the elite without kicking a ball. Iím sure the exact same stuff was said when they signed Lacazette.

I'm no fan of Rodgers but that's been the case since the early 90's.

Even when we had our strongest ever Premiership 11 under Rafa in 08/09 we had players like El Zhar on the bench

The bonus at the moment is that we're currently in the top 4.

So it's now a question of whether we can hang on.

I think we're more likely to do that than if we needed to chase and overtake on of the pack.

Tonight is a big game.

Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    We'll do it if we can bounce back asap, our front line stays relatively injury-free, we don't lose firmino to a ban, and VVD can muster the defence a bit better.

Otherwise, it could be a struggle.
    One injury to Salah and we are screwed.

Who does Ozil replace in our front 3?

Wilshere may get in, but Xhaka and Ramsey wouldn’t. So your basing Mkhitaryan on what he did 3 years ago then. Great stuff. Perhaps we should bid for Luca Toni as a plan b.

As for Aubameyang, let’s see how he’s gets on before lauding him as someone whose catapulted Arsenal into the elite without kicking a ball. I’m sure the exact same stuff was said when they signed Lacazette.
    Either play Ozil in midfield or more likely, we'd change our formation to accommodate someone of his quality.

Xhaka is inconsistent but he's certainly better than Henderson and Can. I'm basing my opinion on Mkhitaryan on what he did 2* years ago, yes, the fact you're brining up 40 year old Luca Toni is nonsensical clutching of straws. Mkhitaryan didn't fit in at United and wasn't given too many chances, a bit like Salah when he was at Chelsea. Just because you're awful at one club doesn't mean your quality has somehow disappeared.

I never rated Lacazette as a £50m striker. But he's still a miles better backup striker than Ings and Solanke combined. Aubameyang could flop for sure, but what he's shown is that he's a quality, pacy finisher who (unlike Lacazette) has proven himself in the Champions League on many occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by PHIL. View Post

I think we're more likely to do that than if we needed to chase and overtake on of the pack.

Tonight is a big game.
    This exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by PHIL. View Post

Tonight is a big game.
    I'd be more confident 2/3 weeks ago. But now the gap is 2 points; it only takes 1 more slip up and then we're having to chase. Also Alderweireld is close to returning for Spurs which has gone under the radar - they're only going to get stronger.

Us, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal are all inconsistent so its gonna be tight. Think it'll ultimately come down to the games against each other.

The problem we have is there's a bad vibe/feeling at the club with the fans/owners which the players and Klopp will be well aware of. That has the potential to spill onto the pitch and derail us....looks like it could be.

The players will be feeling the weight of losing Phil and not replacing him with some talent, it's just bad news.

I can't dress it any other way.

Either play Ozil in midfield or more likely, we'd change our formation to accommodate someone of his quality.

Xhaka is inconsistent but he's certainly better than Henderson and Can. I'm basing my opinion on Mkhitaryan on what he did 2* years ago, yes, the fact you're brining up 40 year old Luca Toni is nonsensical clutching of straws. Mkhitaryan didn't fit in at United and wasn't given too many chances, a bit like Salah when he was at Chelsea. Just because you're awful at one club doesn't mean your quality has somehow disappeared.

I never rated Lacazette as a £50m striker. But he's still a miles better backup striker than Ings and Solanke combined. Aubameyang could flop for sure, but what he's shown is that he's a quality, pacy finisher who (unlike Lacazette) has proven himself in the Champions League on many occasions.
    Ah so weíd change formation to accommodate Ozil, but wouldnít for Coutinho.

I donít think Xhaka is any better than Henderson or Can, not even remotely.

As for the rest, weíll just have to disagree. Weíll be at it all day otherwise, letís just see where both sides finish.

SuperSpeedy is online now Academy prospect
    Think Arsenal may give us a push but think we will be okay.

We can get 4th, with the squad we had a month or two ago I'd have said easily but now I reckon we'll get at least fourth simply because Arsenal and Spurs are nowhere near as good as people ramp them up to be and we're better than some people would have you believe.

Looking at the squads of City, Utd and Chelsea it would seem that they have all strengthened while we on the other hand it would appear are now weaker. The fact is they have the cash and will use it to strengthen in just about every window, we can't or won't do that. Still I think we can get fourth, possibly still third. City are doing a Foinavon while the rest of us are falling over each other.