Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 4 - will we do it?

1. #1 Default Top 4 - will we do it? 
    Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    So, simple question. Will we nail a top 4 spot this season?

Current table - http://www.skysports.com/premier-league-table

Remaining fixtures - https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/...rpool/fixtures

Big games - Spurs (H), Man Utd (A), Everton (A), Chelsea (A)
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Think nail is too ambitious, we are capable of scraping fourth if other teams implode, I’m not confident though , last two games have shown all I already knew about how far we have to go and the current midfields mentality

Take salah out of our team and we are screwed and look average

The other factor is the boost we have given Tottenham and arsenal by selling our best player and pretending it has no bearing on us

Yes, I think we will. It's not been a great week, but it hasn't changed my opinion on that.

Mersey Dudek is online now Academy prospect
    I don't know now.

Not confident of it at all.

Right now ?

No, we arenít good enough. One injury to Salah and we are screwed.

The next 49 hours could change that but with Arsenal, Spurs, Man U, Chelsea all strengthening whilst we are significantly weaker in January Iím very, very pessimistic.

NO

Gazza74 is online now LFC Hall of Fame Resident
    A week ago i was emphatic with a yes.

A week later, 2 disgraceful performances and results later, a manager in denial, a club with no ambition, and players seemingly not arsed, i am now 50/50 at best.

We're at least in the top 4 as we speak, if we were in Arsenal's position i'd say no, with them and Spurs, plus Chelsea, liable to trip up themselves we may just fall over the line.

We need to...there is no other option for the club

Win both games this week, then yes. I suspect Arsenal can't quite get there and we could build up a good enough lead over Spurs with six points this week, especially if/when they drop points to Utd.

10 days ago I was confident of 4th and pushing for 2nd or 3rd.

Now, Iím not sure. If we donít get 6 points out if the next 2 we really open the door to Spurs and Arsenal. Our rivals have strengthened as well this window (well I donít think Spurs have, but crucially theyíve not weakened either)

In January the first I thought yes.

Now I think its going to be a real struggle.

The sale of Phil and not replacing him means that if Salah or Firmino get ruled out for a long time we are finished.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Win both games this week, then yes. I suspect Arsenal can't quite get there and we could build up a good enough lead over Spurs with six points this week, especially if/when they drop points to Utd.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza74 View Post
    A week ago i was emphatic with a yes.

A week later, 2 disgraceful performances and results later, a manager in denial, a club with no ambition, and players seemingly not arsed, i am now 50/50 at best.

We're at least in the top 4 as we speak, if we were in Arsenal's position i'd say no, with them and Spurs, plus Chelsea, liable to trip up themselves we may just fall over the line.
    Iím staggered that while most clubs have strengthened because of us in some ways we have responded by weakening ourselves. I am a huge fan of Klopp but I canít understand why he has let Sturridge go and has not replaced Coutinho quickly. I thought two weeks ago we would get second: now Iím thinking we struggle if one of Mane, Firmino or Salah get injured.

Itís possible, Itís not beyond us to put another run together. Do I think that we will? I have to say no, not without an upgrade in goal and Midfield. 5th place for me.

Canít see us getting it to be honest. Looks like we are heading into a slump, our midfield is dog **** and we would be better off playing without a keeper than with what we have. Spurs are starting to play well, Kane is firing and they have reinforced, think they will just beat us to 4th unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIZ0U View Post
    Can’t see us getting it to be honest. Looks like we are heading into a slump, our midfield is dog **** and we would be better off playing without a keeper than with what we have. Spurs are starting to play well, Kane is firing and they have reinforced, think they will just beat us to 4th unfortunately.
    We haven't even looked that bad. Poor finishing at Swansea and defensive shambles against WBA. We were absolutely dire last January and still got top 4.

TheKnucklesOfAgger is online now Academy prospect
    The fixtures actually are decent. A lot of bottom half teams to play at home, but hard to say. Iíd take 4 points from the Spurs and Southampton fixtures and full points vs Newcastle, West Ham at Home and Huddersfield away tomorrow. 13 out of the next 15 is perfectly achievable. I think if we donít manage that we may well have been caught up.

Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is online now Ask him if the match is on TV
    There's not point in listing "big games" all games are big now. Teams playing for something. Brighton may have to win against us to stay up, so that would be a huge game. They may already have avoided relegation or be relegated, so not a big game for them. Also the games against the bottom teams tend to be the bigger one's for us, as we do better against the top teams then the bottom.

Out of the cup to the team second bottom, although the topic is about the league and not the cup. Still before that cup game lost to the team bottom, before that beat the team top.

Just shows how we have the opposite form to what the results should be.

Beat the unbeaten league leaders with 4 different players scoring in the process when they had not conceded more then 2 goals in a game before. Eight days later and we lose to the team bottom of the league failing to score any goals.

Say any other team had our next two fixtures and you got told they would get 3 points from the two games. Logical reasons and form suggests it means they beat Huddersfield tomorrow and lose to Tottenham on Sunday. With us though it would be less surprising if it means we lose to Huddersfield in the last minute and put 5 past Tottenham to win 5-3.
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by TheKnucklesOfAgger View Post
    The fixtures actually are decent. A lot of bottom half teams to play at home, but hard to say. I’d take 4 points from the Spurs and Southampton fixtures and full points vs Newcastle, West Ham at Home and Huddersfield away tomorrow. 13 out of the next 15 is perfectly achievable. I think if we don’t manage that we may well have been caught up.
    It’s the bottom half that are causing us issues at the minute though. We go out and smash City and then get beat by Swansea and WBA. We would probably get top 4 if we only had big games left.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKnucklesOfAgger View Post
    The fixtures actually are decent. A lot of bottom half teams to play at home, but hard to say. I’d take 4 points from the Spurs and Southampton fixtures and full points vs Newcastle, West Ham at Home and Huddersfield away tomorrow. 13 out of the next 15 is perfectly achievable. I think if we don’t manage that we may well have been caught up.
    Spurs have very difficult fixtures in that span so I think we can still be ahead of them even if we lose the 6 pointer.

After the last results, the writing is now in the wall - our defensive and midfield limitations have been exposed yet again.

I donít think we can anymore, as the squad is now inept of quality and we wonít be strengthening before the window shuts.

If we donít scrape through, then itíll be interesting to see what the club/manager do about it in the off season

NY Mike is online now First team regular
    I think arsenal have been quite smart this window if they get Auba. They’ve turned a bad situation into a reasonable outcome.

It’s a three way race for one spot now because I don’t think Chelsea will drop out of Top 4

I’m also concerned that we now have two GKs - one lacking game time and confidence and the other a useless lunatic.

Not good.

MoMoMoMoMoMoMo is online now Academy prospect
    Yes, we are better equipped this season than last season even with Phil gone, Chelsea and Spurs are weaker than last season and Arsenal are Arsenal.

So I'm going with yes.

50/50 for me. Think Spurs/Chelsea are a level above us, maybe fixture congestion for the other two will work in our favour slightly...

Squad depth the obvious issue, any non-minor injury to Firmino and Salah and we're done.

A few weeks ago I was hoping for us to fight for 2nd with automatic champs league qualification, a good run in the champions league, and trying to win the FA cup. Thought the club was heading for an ambitious end to the season.

Two weeks later I have learnt that Liverpool Football Club is only interested in the balancing of the books trophy, and scrapping for 4th position.

This happened last season. We were near the top of the league before the new year. Thought we would buy in January, and fight for the title. Instead we didnít and Just scraped 4th position.

A few injuries to our main men and 4th is a gonner.

MoMoMoMoMoMoMo is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterC10 View Post
    50/50 for me. Think Spurs/Chelsea are a level above us, maybe fixture congestion for the other two will work in our favour slightly...

Squad depth the obvious issue, any non-minor injury to Firmino and Salah and we're done.
    What about if Spurs get an injury to Kane or Eriksen, Chelsea Hazard or Morata?

Doubt it.

NY Mike is online now First team regular
    So Arsenal rid themselves of a very good player who desperately wants to leave and get a good attacking player in return and may get a lethal goal scorer.

City continue to strenghen.

The Mancs nab Arsenal's very good player.

Spurs get a good player to strengthen

The Chavs have strenghened and may strengthen more.

LFC sells it best player - an attacker - and doesn't replace him. And loan out a back up striker so now the two back ups are a player who's been injured for two years and a young player who has yet to score a PL goal for LFC. And look like mugs.

Hahahahahahah. WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by BlowUpMyBoots View Post
    What about if Spurs get an injury to Kane or Eriksen, Chelsea Hazard or Morata?
    Think they both have better depth than us. Chelsea have been better without Morata recently.

Spurs have quite a few options up top and are close to bringing in Lucas Moura as well.

Gazza74 is online now LFC Hall of Fame Resident
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Mike View Post
    So Arsenal rid themselves of a very good player who desperately wants to leave and get a good attacking player in return and may get a lethal goal scorer.

City continue to strenghen.

The Mancs nab Arsenal's very good player.

Spurs get a good player to strengthen

The Chavs have strenghened and may strengthen more.

LFC sells it best player - an attacker - and doesn't replace him. And look like mugs.

Hahahahahahah. WTF!
    Ok, you are right, but it's only fair to add in that we did strengthen our defence with Van Dijk, we didn't do absolutely nothing, we just didn't do anywhere near enough.