Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: More important than Life and Death, its the Bill Shankly Twitter thread. He would not approve of fake tweets.

1. #1 Shankly More important than Life and Death, its the Bill Shankly Twitter thread. He would not approve of fake tweets. 
    kickthetyres is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Bill Shankly
    Birthdate: 2 September 1913
    Birthplace: Glenbuck, Scotland
    Other clubs as manager: Carlisle United, Grimsby Town, Workington, Huddersfield Town
    Arrived from: Huddersfield Town
    Signed for LFC: 1 December 1959
    First game in charge: 19.12.1959
    Contract Expiry: 12.07.1974
    LFC league games as manager: 609
    Total LFC games as manager: 783

Honours: League Championship 1963/64, 1965/66, 1972/73; Second Division 1961/62; FA Cup 1965, 1974; UEFA Cup 1973; Manager of the Year 1973

Manager profile
    Bill Shankly was a tremendous competitor as a player making his name at second division Preston North End after arriving from Carlisle United, one division below, in 1933 at twenty years of age. He eventually made his full debut for them on 9 December 1933 against Hull City and quickly established himself as a regular and a crowd favourite owing to his whole-hearted attitude and commitment to the side. At the end of the season Preston had gained promotion to First Division. In an otherwise disappointing season, in 1936/37, Preston had the satisfaction of reaching the FA Cup final. At Wembley they came up against a strong Sunderland team who ran out 3-1 winners. The following year, Shankly scored his first League goal for Preston in a 2-2 draw against Liverpool at Anfield on 2 February 1938. North End were again to reach the Cup Final that season and this time they ran out 1-0 winners against Huddersfield. It was the pinnacle of Shankly's playing career. When Shankly was at the peak of his powers seven years of his career were lost to World War I. Shankly, who was in the RAF, starred for Norwich, Luton, Arsenal and Partick Thistle in the war as well as playing a single game for Liverpool in a 4-1 win over Everton at Anfield. When full League football resumed for the 1946/47 season Preston still held his registration, and it was at Deepdale where he resumed his full professional career after hostilities had ceased. Shankly was now viewed as being part of a pre-war generation. Many clubs were throwing in youngsters in an attempt to make a fresh post-war start. Shankly, still a hugely accomplished player, soon found himself on the fringe of things and would often find himself helping to bring on the kids in the reserves. In 1949, Shankly was Preston's captain as the side struggled in the First Division and was eventually relegated in the spring. Before the end of the campaign, Shankly's old club, Carlisle United offered him the chance to become their manager and he took it. When Tommy Docherty took Shankly's place in the Preston team, Shanks told him, 'Congratulations. You are now the greatest right-half in the world. Just put the number 4 shirt on and let it run round, it knows where to go.'

Shankly was never short of confidence in his own ability. Referring in his autobiography to his first managerial appointment at Carlisle United in March 1949, he said “I had the knowledge. I had been with people who knew how to train teams and I had my own conception of human beings and psychology.” His methods were certainly different from some of his contemporaries. Shankly was prepared to do any job however menial and instead of writing notes in the programme for the supporters to read, he preferred to use the tannoy to speak to them shortly before the start of each home fixture. Carlisle were a struggling Third Division North side who found it hard to attract southern-based players because of their geographic remoteness. Shankly immediately turned this disadvantage on its head and turned Brunton Park into something of a fortress. He would tell his players how tired the opposition must be at having to travel up to such a remote corner of the country. Carlisle was good for Bill Shankly and he for them as when he took over the club had won 14 games in the season,finishing fifteenth, but when he left it boasted 25 wins and third place. After a squabble with the club who had reneged on a bonus promise should the team finish in the top three, Shankly resigned. Grimsby Town had been relegated in 1951 and would be playing in Third Division North just as Carlisle but he wanted the job as "Carlisle did not have the money to make progress and because I thought there was more potential at Grimsby." Five months earlier Shankly had applied for a post in the First Division. George Kay had to resign from Liverpool due to health reasons and as Shankly recalled in his autobiography: "I got a telephone call from Liverpool and was asked if I’d like to be interviewed for the manager’s job.” Shankly wanted to put his own stamp on his team, but back in those days the members of the board had a big say in team matters. "The big snag had cropped up when the Liverpool board had said the manager could put down his team for matches and the directors would scrutinize it and alter it if they wanted to," Shankly explained. "So I just said, ‘If I don’t pick the team, what am I manager of?”

The Blundell Park outfit had been in the First Division in 1948 and was in free fall. The morale of the players and supporters of Grimsby was low. However, the players who had been at the club when Grimsby were in the top flight were still there, there being little point in players swapping and changing clubs in those days due to the maximum wage. Shankly was quickly able to use the raw material at his disposal to weld the players into a good side. In 1951/52, Grimsby just missed promotion, despite picking up an incredible 36 points out a possible 40 in the last 20 matches. The 1952/53 season started with much optimism around the club but the players still felt the disappointment of the previous season. The team too, was an ageing one, and struggled after a bright start and the season fizzled out. Shankly was given no money to buy new players and was reluctant to blood some promising reserves because of the loyalty he felt to these older stalwarts, a fault that was to surface at Liverpool years later. Disillusioned by events, he quit in January 1954, citing a lack of ambition by the club as his main reason.

Shankly was only a few days without a job after leaving Grimsby but had undoubtedly taken a step down the football ladder by taking over as manager at Workington. The club had only been a League side for two years and forced to to apply for re-election at the end of both seasons. At the end of the 1953/54 season, Shankly had lifted them to twentieth position, six points clear of re-election. Workington were transformed, playing a delightful brand of football. Season 1954/55 saw them finish a creditable eighth in Third Division North. Shankly had recharged the batteries that had run so low after his experiences at Grimsby and he was looking to step up the managerial ladder again. When he heard his old colleague from his Preston days, Andy Beattie was in trouble at first division Huddersfield, he was only too glad to tend his resignation at Workington on 15 November 1955 to go and help him out.

"If my father was my guiding light in life, Bill Shankly was my football mentor. Has there been anyone with a greater love for the game? If there has, I have yet to meet him. He was an established player when I first encountered him during my days as a junior. He invariably popped along to our matches. Bill would stop off anywhere a game of football was being played and, even at that early stage of his career, you knew he would go into coaching and management and make a damn good job of it." - Sir Stanley Matthews.

Shankly became assistant manager and coached the reserves at Huddersfield but on 5 November 1956, after the club had been relegated to the Second Division, Beattie left and Shankly took over as manager. On Christmas Eve 1956, Shankly gave a full first-team debut to one of the rising stars of the club, 16-year-old Denis Law. Shankly was unable to take Huddersfield back into the top division but was making a mark for himself as a manager. When Bill Shankly arrived at Anfield in 1959, Liverpool were in Second Division and going nowhere. The training ground, Melwood was a shambles, Anfield not a pretty sight and Liverpool overburdened with average players, but with quality players in the reserves. Shankly was immediately at home here as he sensed in the huge crowds a kinship with the supporters from the word go. They were his kind of people. With the backing of Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan and the enthusiasm of the fans behind him he set about rebuilding the team. Liverpool conceded seven goals without a reply in Shankly's first two games in charge. As well improving the club's training conditions Shankly cleared the squad of any dead wood. He tried to convince the directors at the club that Liverpool should spare no expense in strengthening the team. Finally 18 months after Shankly took over at Liverpool in came Yeats and St John, the two players he had wanted at Huddersfield. Shankly was quite confident that they would prove key signings. "St John and Yeats were both twenty-three, and I said to Mr Sawyer (Liverpool's financial director), 'You sack me if they can't play. I'm telling you now, I'll stake my life on it.'"

"In pre-season you got in an at Anfield and you then put a pair of trainers on," Tommy Lawrence said, recollecting life at Liverpool pre-Shankly. "They weren’t like trainers like you have today for running on the roads. They were pumps. You need to run from Anfield to Melwood. Around Melwood three or four times and then run all the way back. Roger Hunt and I used to travel with the train from Warrington and after about three days, we couldn’t even go down the steps, the backs of our calves were just gone. As soon as Shanks came he just changed it. ‘You play on grass and you will train on grass.’ And that was it. Then we actually saw a bag of balls. We had never seen a bag of balls." Ronnie Moran was an experienced campaigner but was very impressed by the new boss. "I learned more in the first three months than I'd done in the seven years that I'd been a pro. I wish I'd been five years younger."

Shankly felt Liverpool were ready for promotion with key players in place in defence and attack. If Liverpool were nervous it didn't show as they had opened up a seven-point lead in October. The Reds lost two games on the trot over Christmas with their lead down to just two points, but were soon back in the swing of things and ensured their long-awaited place in the First Division with five rounds to go with a 2-0 win over Southampton. Yeats told LFChistory.net that the 1961/62 season was the most vital one in his and arguably Shankly's career. "The most successful thing we did and I’ll say this always, was winning the Second Division. Without that nothing else would have happened, because we couldn’t progress without winning it." A season of consolidation followed in which Liverpool finished eighth, the only problem being Everton finishing as champions. As would happen again twenty years down the line, Liverpool and Everton were about to carve up the domestic honours between them in the next five or six seasons, but as the 1963/64 season started, it was Everton who were top dogs on Merseyside, a fact that rankled with Shankly. The Scotsman had the nucleus of side who had gained promotion two seasons previously but with the important addition of left-winger Peter Thompson. After a less than stellar beginning of the season Liverpool finally reached the top spot on 23 November 1963 following a win over Manchester United, their eighth in the last nine League games. The League title was secured with an incredible 5-0 win over Arsenal at Anfield with three games remaining of the season.

Celebration time in 1964

The following season Liverpool finished a disappointing seventh in the League with 13 less points than the previous campaign. Liverpool's participation in the European Cup took a lot of energy from them, only denied at the semi-final stage due to a dishonest referee in Milan. Liverpool were also doing brilliantly in the FA Cup, reaching their third final in the club's history. Liverpool had lost both their FA Cup finals to date in 1914 and 1950, but Shankly finally managed to bring the Cup home after St John headed in the winner. "Grown men were crying and it was the greatest feeling any human being could have to see what we had done," Shankly remembered. "There have been many proud moments. Wonderful, fantastic moments. But that was the greatest day." In season 65/66 Liverpool won the title again, easing up at the end, while neighbours Everton took the FA Cup. Liverpool lost the final of the European Cup Winners' Cup at Hampden Park to Borussia Dortmund. The great sixties side had gained promotion from Second Division, won the League twice, the FA Cup once, and progressed in Europe. It was a transitional time for the club. After that second title in 1966 the club didn't win the League again in that decade, but would not finish lower than fifth. for the rest of the decade. Shankly's mistake was to let the side rumble on without any major rebuilding too long. "We were all at the same age when we started so around ‘67 we were all around 30," Yeats explained to LFChistory.net. "He started to change the side, changing tactics, changing players, it took maybe three years to come together."

Not all of Bill Shankly’s signings turned out to be as successful as he would have liked. Alun Evans and Tony Hateley had short Anfield careers but Emlyn Hughes was someone who didn’t fall into that category. Shankly tried to sign him after watching him play in his very first professional match but had to be patient before he finally got his man. One cold afternoon in February 1970 Liverpool were dumped out of the FA Cup at second division Watford. “After Watford I knew I had to do my job and change the team," recalled Shankly. “It had to be done and if I didn’t do it I was shirking my obligations." Most of the old guard were phased out and in their place came the likes of Ray Clemence, Larry Lloyd, John Toshack, Steve Heighway and Brian Hall, not to mention the inspirational signing of Kevin Keegan from Scunthorpe United. These newcomers plus the younger players from the 60’s like Tommy Smith, Chris Lawler, Ian Callaghan and Emlyn Hughes who had survived the post-Watford cull would be the nucleus for his next great team who went on to win the UEFA Cup and the League in 1973 and the FA Cup in 1974. Newcastle's humiliation in the cup final turned out to be Shankly's swansong. He was 60-years-old and remembered sitting down in the dressing room at Wembley feeling "tired from all the years. I knew I was going to finish."

The conclusion of Eric Todd's Guardian interview with Shankly in December 1968: "Before I left him, Shankly summoned the manager of a hotel and gave him his instructions. 'There'll be 17 in the party,' he said. 'So, that'll be 17 fillet steaks and I'll let you know how we want them done when we arrive - with chips. For afterwards, there'll be 17 fresh fruit salads and fresh cream. Right? Then for breakfast, eh ...' A players' man indeed."

It is terribly sad that after so much success, things became difficult between himself and the club he had served so well for nearly 15 years. Maybe there was fault on both sides? It was a difficult situation. “I still wanted to help Liverpool, because the club had become my life. But I wasn’t given the chance”, recalled Shankly. It looks as if the club wanted a clean break, that it felt things could become too complicated if Bill was still around. He continued to go to Melwood for a while but got the impression it would be better if he stopped going. He said he would have been honoured if he had been invited to become a Director of the club, which he surely deserved because of what he had achieved as a manager, but the offer never came. Bill Shankly seemed indestructible but he suffered a heart attack in the autumn of 1981 and died shortly afterwards on 29 September. His legacy can be seen at Anfield today, but not just in the gates that bear his name or the statue at the back of the Kop. Shankly was the catalyst that Liverpool Football club needed. Other men carried on the job that he started but he was the father of the modern-day Liverpool and did as much as anyone and more than most to turn them into one of the great powers of first English and then European football. The debt the club owes him can never be repaid
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Paris United‏@parisunited6

[Info Paris U] Oblak priorité absolue du #PSG.

Oblak absolute priority for PSG.

That would mean we have a clear go to get Alison.

Quote Originally Posted by Beige View Post

If he fancies hanging around for a few years until we decide that he is the 'right' player.

Donnarumma is who I would take over Alison

Larissa Karius is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    I think he has flaws to his game which needs work on.

That's not saying he is a poor keeper but I don't fancy him as first choice just yet. I'd rather we go for an accomplished keeper at this moment in time.

MoMoMoMoMoMoMo is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    I take it you haven't seem him play for a while then? Been extremely poor for a while now. Could maybe put it down to his troubles with the fans but I think that's the problem, the fans gave him stick because hes been awful at times.

Still very young though and he has looked good but he is struggling currently.

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Karius View Post

That's not saying he is a poor keeper but I don't fancy him as first choice just yet. I'd rather we go for an accomplished keeper at this moment in time.
    I think that's fair, but I think Donnarumma will be worth the wait. Could be the best of his generation.

MoMoMoMoMoMoMo is online now Academy prospect

Alisson and Strakosha would be the two I would go for from Serie A.

Genoa keeper Perin looks good at times too.
    Last edited by MoMoMoMoMoMoMo; 30-1-18 at 20:08.

Looking into him a little you are correct, but even with that said he would be a massive improvement on our current keepers

Quote Originally Posted by BlowUpMyBoots View Post
    I take it you haven't seem him play for a while then? Been extremely poor for a while now. Could maybe put it down to his troubles with the fans but I think that's the problem, the fans gave him stick because hes been awful at times.

Still very young though and he has looked good but he is struggling currently.
    His mentality is what worries me most... I think his performances have been poor because his row with the fans has gotten into his head... Weak minded stuff for me, but maybe we don’t know the whole story

Mersey Dudek is online now Academy prospect
    Keith Downie @SkySports_Keith 1m1 minute ago
    Sunderland are in talks with Liverpool over a loan deal for midfielder Ovie Ejaria - as a replacement for Didier N’Dong. We understand SAFC have also contacted Bournemouth over midfielder Emerson Hyndman, but it’s unclear if he’s an option or addition to Ejaria.

I’m not sure we need a new keeper , Mignolet probably about to turn a corner and I’d hate for us to throw him under a bus unnecessarily , same with our midfield, with the right formation I’m sure they could compete with anyone , esp with Lovrens renaissance , best keep hold of our money for a few more seasons , keep our powder dry just like in this marvelous window. Cou was over rated anyway, wij offers far more I’m sure

I'd plump for any keeper who's made two saves in the same game this season.

Quote Originally Posted by gedzredz View Post
    What dire days.....

CrawleyRed is offline The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    I think that's fair, but I think Donnarumma will be worth the wait. Could be the best of his generation.
    Agree, but as if we'd allow him the time to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by gedzredz View Post
    That's ambitious.

The problem seems to be that when we signed Karius people on here seemed over the moon but low and behold he was dodgy or we made him dodgy. I see know reason to assume that if we signed DDG or Allison or Olbak or Lloris or any top keeper their form would continue. Whether it's the keeper of the coach the fact is we have a terrible history and track record when it comes to keepers, why would that suddenly change?

TheRiedle is online now First team regular
    ?

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawleyRed View Post
    Agree, but as if we'd allow him the time to develop.
    He's already better than both of our goalkeepers, so I don't see why not.

LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

@Aubamayang77
    6m6 minutes ago
    More
    Arsene Wenger says I am to replace Petr Cech in goal.

Has this man lost plot?

Might be a parody account

LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    @BBCSport
    30s30 seconds ago
    More
    Everton striker Sandro Ramirez is back in Spain.

He's joined Sevilla until the end of the season.

👉 http://bbc.in/2rVjflH

Sky Sports News @SkySportsNews
    BREAKING: @Everton confirm Sandro Ramirez is set to join @SevillaFC on loan for the rest of the season, subject to a medical. #SSN

Well that went well *raises eyebrow*

Sky Sports News @SkySportsNews
    BREAKING: @Everton confirm Sandro Ramirez is set to join @SevillaFC on loan for the rest of the season, subject to a medical. #SSN

Well that went well *raises eyebrow*
    My word.

I’d not be at all surprised if Wagner had come in for Ward this month, Lossl is *****.

Matt Critchley @MattCritchley1
    I asked Jurgen Klopp “in one word, are you likely to do any business tomorrow?” His answer (laughing) “maybe”
    So there’s still a chance!

I asked Jurgen Klopp “in one word, are you likely to do any business tomorrow?” His answer (laughing) “maybe”
    I highly doubt it

He probably means sales

Yep. Ejaria to Sunderland.

Gazza74 is online now LFC Hall of Fame Resident
    My wild conspiracy theory could still on then from last night..

Mahrez has handed in transfer request.
    Man city bid incoming

Klopp just raised a small tent in Jim White’s trousers.