Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Loris Karius

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny-Rodgers View Post
    Karius should play every game. If Migs comes back in for the CL games I'll start questioning Klopp's sanity.
    I think Mignolet has played his last game for us. Unless Karius gets injured.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by tonylet View Post
    I think Mignolet has played his last game for us. Unless Karius gets injured.
    It simply must be the former. We still have Ward or Garbara even......

He was better against Spurs, but still doesn’t fill me with confidence. Clapped at one airiel challenge with Kane (as does Mignolet). Every keeper will make the odd mistake, but long term we need a top 4 keeper to maintain a trophy challenge. Would Karius be happy as a number 2? Would like to have seen Ward given more of a chance as he seemed just as capable as Karius or Mignolet.

TomHighwaysM16 is offline Academy prospect
    Don't think keepers can do much if we defend so deep or refuse to build the game. He certainly hoofed a lot of back passes coming his way but to be honest, his entire back line went up for a long ball. Meanwhile Spurs back line did go to pick the ball up. It's not like we never do this, but this time we didn't for some reason.

I always consider possession the best defensive tool one side has if it's well equipped to pass the ball.

TheKnucklesOfAgger is online now Academy prospect
    The guy deserves a chance and if everyone is going to start losing their **** over the odd flap at a cross then no keeper is going to excel here. Give him this run till the end of the season and see what we’re working with.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan69 View Post
    He was better against Spurs, but still doesn’t fill me with confidence. Clapped at one airiel challenge with Kane (as does Mignolet). Every keeper will make the odd mistake, but long term we need a top 4 keeper to maintain a trophy challenge. Would Karius be happy as a number 2? Would like to have seen Ward given more of a chance as he seemed just as capable as Karius or Mignolet.
    He got fouled with an elbow to the face.

Quote Originally Posted by QuatreVingt16 View Post
    It simply must be the former. We still have Ward or Garbara even......
    Don't go there.......

There is a lot of the season left and we will have a good idea by the end of it if we need to buy another keeper or not.

I hope Karius rediscovers why we got him in the first place and he can become our no 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Far Away Red View Post
    He got fouled with an elbow to the face.
    He still got lucky, he waited way too long to jump for the ball. He regularly misjudges aerial balls, I hope a consistent run in the side will allow him to work on that. Because with the quality of our crossing, he'd hardly get a chance to work on it in training.

We need a top goal keeper regardless of how Karius does, but he was decent against spurs imo, he’s playing to stay here as back up imo, we would be stupid not to get a Top gk in, mind you this jan showed exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan69 View Post
    I'm not sure he'd have a choice, what team would want him as their #1 based on his time at Liverpool so far? Maybe a return to Mainz. If he proves me wrong, and I hope he does, he will be our #1. If not, I guess it's a choice for him between being our #2 or being first choice at a mid-table Premier League/Bundesliga team

Starting to have a bit of faith he can push on. Klopp clearly does too so let's get behind the lad. Looking more and more confident at least. That's a bonus if nothing else

Confidence is what it's all about for a goalkeeper. Now that he seems to be undisputed number 1, hopefully that'll take the pressure off him in a way. Still not at all convinced by him but hopefully he can show his Mainz form again.

mcdiggerman is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyfagan View Post
    Was gutted for him tbh.

But for that second penalty, we'd all be coming away from yesterday lauding him for commanding his box, saving that Son 1v1 and saving a penalty.

Nobody's talking about him because of that refereeing **** storm which is a shame.
    I dunno - that punch for the second goal was weak IMO and not away from danger

There was also a really worrying point in the first half where he rolled the ball to Milner with his back to play and a Spuds player closing in fast.....that could have gone very wrong. You don't play your player into trouble on the edge of the box

Quote Originally Posted by mcdiggerman View Post

There was also a really worrying point in the first half where he rolled the ball to Milner with his back to play and a Spuds player closing in fast.....that could have gone very wrong. You don't play your player into trouble on the edge of the box
    Harsh. Your first sentence baffles me. It was a strong punch that went out 30 yards and he was back up on his feet ready to save the next shot, Wanyamma will never hit a ball like that again in his life.

By the way that punch out also managed to go past one of our players outside the box who was caught on his heels. In no way was that Karius's fault.

+sixfiveRED is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by HitTheWoodwork View Post
    Harsh. Your first sentence baffles me. It was a strong punch that went out 30 yards and he was back up on his feet ready to save the next shot, Wanyamma will never hit a ball like that again in his life.

By the way that punch out also managed to go past one of our players outside the box who was caught on his heels. In no way was that Karius's fault.
    Correct.
    Formerly known as PlusSixFiveRed.

BearWithMe is offline First team regular

A punch that goes 30 yards out weak? talk about being over critical. Karius made two fantastic one on one save as well, what do you think about those?

No fault from Karius on the goal surely. The punch went pretty far - despite probably not getting a great connection on it. The issue was that Can didn't really deal with it as it dropped, and AOC wasnt tracking Wanyama who ran onto it.

It was just a peach of a strike.

Karius had a good game. He was alert and to me did not seem as nervous as usual. Until Klopp started messing about with the shape I was pretty pleased with our back 5 who were stopping Spurs from getting any real chances. Karius came for most things, made a couple of good stops; the two centrebacks dealt with pretty much everything and its just unfortunate that Lovren sliced the clearance that fell to Kane and VVD was perhaps just a bit hesitant later with Lamela; the fullbacks did well to try and limit the crossing game.

The fury of the ending, the disappointment at the result, and the fact that the goals against counter read '2' detracted from a good performance by the lads at the back. They were let down by their midfield. But the defenders, I felt, could leave the pitch happy at least in the knowledge that they'd had a good ninety as opposed to a 'reasonable 45' which is what the rest had.

Acumen is online now First team regular
    Good game and we hope that's the start of many.

TheRiedle is online now First team regular

Did you expect Wanyama to smash that in from 30 yards into the top corner? Cos I *********** didn't.
    ?

Don’t want to jinx it, but I thought Karius was good once again. Needed to be solid and instil confidence in that first half and he did

For me he was the best player in the first half.

his last few games have totally justified the decision to drop Mignolet to the bench, has pulled off multiple very good saves and his style of play has massively helped us launch attacks.

Snippes is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    his last few games have totally justified the decision to drop Mignolet to the bench, has pulled off multiple very good saves and his style of play has massively helped us launch attacks.
    Karius is far from arrived and we can’t get carried away after a handful of games any more than it was unfair for people to quit on him as quickly as they did. But your last point is a good one...you can see how our whole mindset playing from the back is totally different with a keeper assured with his feet. Right foot, left foot he will deliver the clearing of the ball from danger with good competence. He plays high to allow our a CBs to push up high as well and help our attacks launch from VVD and Matip. Remember our 2nd goal started with an advanced Matip passing forward to Salah and then a couple touches later, it was a goal. His teammates know he’s effectively a sweeper who can come and clear it if needed.

He needs to be more selective with how often he starts it short. Sometimes, he needs to know when his teammates aren’t feeling it to take the ball and deal with a press, and just go long instead of short. But that will come with more time on the field and getting braver players especially in midfield who aren’t allergic to pressure. He does get us going on quick counters and puts defenders under a lot of duress dealing with those long quick balls flying over their heads knowing if they don’t handle the bounce properly, it’s Torres v Vidic beatdown all over again.

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    Hopefully Klopp doesn't start rotating our keepers again at Porto.

Snippes is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    Correct. We no longer need to placate Mingnolet, he’s the past, we don’t need to see him in the CL either.

No coincidence that having both a run in the side, and a dominant leader in van Dijk at CB has helped with Karius' confidence and performances.

But to echo others, he now has to start all games. None of this rotation crap for the Champions League to keep an already departing (likely) Mignolet happy in the short term.

Is that a tiny light at the end of the tunnel ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    I think he will to be honest, which will be disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by brummiered01 View Post
    I think he will to be honest, which will be disappointing.
    Surely not ?

Even Klopp can't be that daft. He's made his choice by now.