Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Squad for 2017/2018 season, thread 5

Just to move away from topic for one moment ....how good was Ilkay Gundogan for Man City last night , always thought when Klopp came here he may go for Gundogan .

He made our midfielders look stagnant last night , his movement and use of the ball is fabulous .
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

canuck33 is online now You can call me Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewy3958 View Post
    Just to move away from topic for one moment ....how good was Ilkay Gundogan for Man City last night , always thought when Klopp came here he may go for Gundogan .

He made our midfielders look stagnant last night , his movement and use of the ball is fabulous .
    And for some reason I thought they were playing Basel.

Apparently, Roma wanna give Alisson a new contract with a €90m release clause.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck33 View Post
    Apparently, Roma wanna give Alisson a new contract with a €90m release clause.
    Of course they do. Any other club would look to do the same with any 'in demand' player.

Quote Originally Posted by -Seamus- View Post
    Of course they do. Any other club would look to do the same with any 'in demand' player.
    I know. I'm just bringing it up because that would be bad news for us, if we're really after him.

I know. I'm just bringing it up because that would be bad news for us, if we're really after him.
    Yeah. Haven't seen much of him but by all accounts he's fairly decent and an upgrade on what we have. Still prefer Oblak because he is up there with the best, but apparently he is out of our price range. I'm guessing if Roma put a similar price on Allison, that's us out.

With this defensive display today, maybe there'll have to be some rethinking of the summer transfer priorities. Karius is starting to look like he might actually live up to his potential. I'm really starting to like the van Dijk-Lovren partnership in central defense. Both FBs seem to be developing into what we need out there. And the front 3 are of course deadly as usual. So maybe the concentration this summer should be mostly on the midfield with Coutinho gone and Can about to.

Warten Auf 19 is online now Another New User Name
    With this defensive display today, maybe there'll have to be some rethinking of the summer transfer priorities. Karius is starting to look like he might actually live up to his potential. I'm really starting to like the van Dijk-Lovren partnership in central defense. Both FBs seem to be developing into what we need out there. And the front 3 are of course deadly as usual. So maybe the concentration this summer should be mostly on the midfield with Coutinho gone and Can about to.
    We also need someone to help out wide. Preferably someone young on smaller wages.
    "The best way not to lose is to win." - Jurgen Klopp 06/12/2017

Midfielders and if he can find a young pacy understudy to Salah/Mane somewhere. Having a rotation option that can play the same sort of game is how they have the legs to run all night like they did tonight at this point in the season...

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    I don't think we need a CB tbh, not since we got VVD. Karius is definitely looking more the part, but still need to see him keep it up a bit longer before I can say categorically we don't need a top class GK - we've had periods of even Migs looking fairly decent, and we know how that turned out. Personally I think we need 2 midfielders; DM and AM, and a versatile attacking player who is pacey and knows where the goal is and can play all across the front line ideally. Be more than happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Warten Auf 19 View Post
    We also need someone to help out wide. Preferably someone young on smaller wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Midfielders and if he can find a young pacy understudy to Salah/Mane somewhere. Having a rotation option that can play the same sort of game is how they have the legs to run all night like they did tonight at this point in the season...
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    I don't think we need a CB tbh, not since we got VVD. Karius is definitely looking more the part, but still need to see him keep it up a bit longer before I can say categorically we don't need a top class GK - we've had periods of even Migs looking fairly decent, and we know how that turned out. Personally I think we need 2 midfielders; DM and AM, and a versatile attacking player who is pacey and knows where the goal is and can play all across the front line ideally. Be more than happy with that.
    Looks like we're all on the same page then.

Warten Auf 19 is online now Another New User Name
    Looks like we're all on the same page then.
    It's not easy to find a wide pacy goalscorer who is also young and willing to sit on the bench. But that's what the scouts get paid to do.
    "The best way not to lose is to win." - Jurgen Klopp 06/12/2017

Quote Originally Posted by Warten Auf 19 View Post
    It's not easy to find a wide pacy goalscorer who is also young and willing to sit on the bench. But that's what the scouts get paid to do.
    Sure but with 50-60 games they'll see action in probably 40+ including substitution appearances. It's not like the 2nd keeper who'd only see 10-15 matches in the cups or occasional day off for the starter in heavy fixture periods.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri_Bates View Post
    Sure but with 50-60 games they'll see action in probably 40+ including substitution appearances. It's not like the 2nd keeper who'd only see 10-15 matches in the cups or occasional day off for the starter in heavy fixture periods.
    What's amazing though, is that we don't seem to have a young, quick attacking player in the academy to take that role.

What's amazing though, is that we don't seem to have a young, quick attacking player in the academy to take that role.
    Perhaps Woodburn could have that role next season? Wilson could be another?

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Butland keeps cropping up too.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

Quote Originally Posted by MacFoley'1975 View Post
    Butland keeps cropping up too.
    Karius has his chance now to show what he's made of. If the last few games are any indication, he might be the one. But I won't hold my breath.

Perhaps Woodburn could have that role next season? Wilson could be another?
    If so, we should've seen a fair bit of them this season already. Instead, we sent Wilson out on loan in January. And Woodburn hardly ever makes the bench, let alone get minutes. He should get a start in the return fixture as it's a mere formality now.
    Last edited by canuck33; 15-2-18 at 13:09.

Defense for the remainder of the season unless we need to rotate.

Karius

Alexander - Lovren - Virgil - Robertson

Kent is the closest we’ve got I think. He’s been decent on loans, but I wonder if we might only see his best when he plays for us. I’d have loved him in the squad this season.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

davevietnam is online now Academy prospect
    The midfield will for sure need strengthening, Keita is a great replacement for Can and I think Lallana could well come back to his old form but for me Hendo is a big problem and I say that as a big fan of Hendo and its all to do with his injuries, even last night when he came off there looked to be a bit of concern on Klopps face, I was thinking he came off due to lack of games recently but I fear he could still be troubled with injury.

Stevie said last night in the build up that he thinks Klopp should buy a colossus of a central DM, have to agree and its easily the biggest piece missing.

Quote Originally Posted by davevietnam View Post
    The midfield will for sure need strengthening, Keita is a great replacement for Can and I think Lallana could well come back to his old form but for me Hendo is a big problem and I say that as a big fan of Hendo and its all to do with his injuries, even last night when he came off there looked to be a bit of concern on Klopps face, I was thinking he came off due to lack of games recently but I fear he could still be troubled with injury.

Stevie said last night in the build up that he thinks Klopp should buy a colossus of a central DM, have to agree and its easily the biggest piece missing.
    I saw that moment with Klopp when Hendo came off, good shout.

I’ve been thinking for a while now that they’ve just decided not to talk about Hendo being injured or any of that stuff with his feet, as it’ll probably never clear up fully- I reckon he just plays with pain all the time and deals with it, and they manage his starts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    Kent is the closest we’ve got I think. He’s been decent on loans, but I wonder if we might only see his best when he plays for us. I’d have loved him in the squad this season.
    What about Woodburn? He got some game time last season and even scored.

Woodburn looks a far better prospect IMO.

Exactly. So why is he not even getting on the bench in most cases? I hope he gets a start in the return fixture v Porto.

Exactly. So why is he not even getting on the bench in most cases? I hope he gets a start in the return fixture v Porto.
    Probably because we have other more experience options available. If, god forbid, we get an injury or suspension to one of our front 3 he might come into the 18. Or like you say he might get a chance in the home leg which is nothing more than a formality now.

canookiewookie is online now Academy prospect
    Why not Ox? With all due respect to him I don’t see him as a midfield player - he has all the attributes we’re looking for - speed, youngish and capable of a goal or two.

I think we’re wasting our time usIng him in the midfield.

I thought the discussion was about pacy wide players?

I'm surprised at how little Klopp has looked to the youngsters - I'd have thought we'd have seen something from one of Ojo, Kent, Wilson and Woodburn.

Our U23's and 18's have actually been producing a lot of players in those positions that are good at that level and doing reasonably well on loan at Championship level - but the gulf to our first team seems a bit too big atm. That's in addition to Sterling and then Ibe, who came through before them.

think another pacey wide player is needed in the summer personally I like the look of justn kluivert although he's still young I think he has the ability to make it here and might not be too over priced at the moment what's your thoughts on him ?