Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 51 of 51

Thread: Winter Olympics 2018

  1. #31  
    geralion is online now Or a tiger they're almost as good
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    15,744
    Well done Isabel Atkins! GB slopestyle skier wins a bronze!
    Last edited by geralion; 18-2-18 at 07:11.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #32  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,951
    BBC reporting a doping case is to be initiated against Alexander Krushelnitsky who was the bronze medalist in the mixed pairs curling.

    He is suspected of using meldonium which was the same drug that was in Sharapova's body when she was banned in 2016.

    If proven would mean Norway will get the bronze as he and his wife would be disqualified.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #33  
    grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14,352
    I'm Norwegian and the winter olympics is probably the closest I will ever get to feeling patriotic. Crushing it so far.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #34  
    MoMoMoMoMoMoMo is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    12,752
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    BBC reporting a doping case is to be initiated against Alexander Krushelnitsky who was the bronze medalist in the mixed pairs curling.

    He is suspected of using meldonium which was the same drug that was in Sharapova's body when she was banned in 2016.

    If proven would mean Norway will get the bronze as he and his wife would be disqualified.
    You would think if there's one sport you wouldn't need some performance enhancing products then Curling would be top of the list.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #35  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,687
    Quote Originally Posted by grevsmoker View Post
    I'm Norwegian and the winter olympics is probably the closest I will ever get to feeling patriotic. Crushing it so far.
    You've been dining off that England World Cup qualifier win for way too long (EDIT - wow, 1981).
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #36  
    grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    You've been dining off that England World Cup qualifier win for way too long (EDIT - wow, 1981).
    Beating Brazil was the highlight. No one cares about beating England

    But the winter olympics is a different beast altogether.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #37  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,951
    Quote Originally Posted by MoMoMoMoMoMoMo View Post
    You would think if there's one sport you wouldn't need some performance enhancing products then Curling would be top of the list.
    Don't forget the sweepers they would require a high level of fitness. Along with the need to calm the heart fairly quickly. Although not as quickly as the biathlon.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #38  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,687
    Quote Originally Posted by grevsmoker View Post
    Beating Brazil was the highlight. No one cares about beating England

    But the winter olympics is a different beast altogether.
    Including most people in England as it happens.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #39  
    grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Including most people in England as it happens.
    International football is losing it's shine anyway.

    Today is the mixed biathlon relay. Can't wait!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #40  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,687
    Quote Originally Posted by grevsmoker View Post
    International football is losing it's shine anyway.

    Today is the mixed biathlon relay. Can't wait!
    Is it us that have changed or the game? I don't know whether I'm turning into a grumpy old man or not.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #41  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    44,956
    Christie out of her final medal chance. crashed at start of 1000, restarted and came from behind to qualify in second but was given a very dodgy yellow. she didn't help herself going gung ho at the start but it looked like they wanted her out, especially as a skater who impeded her got away with nothing and in fact took her place I think.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #42  
    grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Is it us that have changed or the game? I don't know whether I'm turning into a grumpy old man or not.
    You probably are. At 27-28 I turned into a grumpy old man and that's what I'll be until I am embraced by the sweet release of death.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #43  
    Liverpoolforme is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    30,950
    Never known someone with more bad luck than Christie, she must be pretty low right now.

    Hope she can get her head up and continue to fight for another Olympics.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #44  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,951
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    BBC reporting a doping case is to be initiated against Alexander Krushelnitsky who was the bronze medalist in the mixed pairs curling.

    He is suspected of using meldonium which was the same drug that was in Sharapova's body when she was banned in 2016.

    If proven would mean Norway will get the bronze as he and his wife would be disqualified.
    It is reported that the B Sample has also failed the anti doping regulations. The two athletes in question have voluntarily handed back their medals before leaving S. Korea.

    He has stated that he has never knowingly doped to gain a sporting advantage but accepts that there has been a technical violation of current WADA laws so has dropped his appeal with the Court for Arbitration in Sport.

    Gutted for him if he wasn't aware. However, all athletes know that it is their responsibility to monitor everything that they consume.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #45  
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    It is reported that the B Sample has also failed the anti doping regulations. The two athletes in question have voluntarily handed back their medals before leaving S. Korea.

    He has stated that he has never knowingly doped to gain a sporting advantage but accepts that there has been a technical violation of current WADA laws so has dropped his appeal with the Court for Arbitration in Sport.

    Gutted for him if he wasn't aware. However, all athletes know that it is their responsibility to monitor everything that they consume.
    Sending the brit Olympic official home without concluding investigations was a bit weird too - seeing the members still there.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #46  
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    4,255
    Pleased Mr T is tweeting about curling. Feel for the mens team.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #47  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,160
    Quote Originally Posted by grevsmoker View Post
    I'm Norwegian and the winter olympics is probably the closest I will ever get to feeling patriotic. Crushing it so far.
    Your cross-country skiing girl Bjoergen is a beast! I believe she's from Trondheim, which is one of my favorite places.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #48  
    grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortigen View Post
    Your cross-country skiing girl Bjoergen is a beast! I believe she's from Trondheim, which is one of my favorite places.
    She's ridiculous. 7 olympic gold medals, 14 olympic medals in total. But we're a strange country. 37 medals so far, by far the most and there is still a small sense of disapointment.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #49  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,160
    Quote Originally Posted by grevsmoker View Post
    She's ridiculous. 7 olympic gold medals, 14 olympic medals in total. But we're a strange country. 37 medals so far, by far the most and there is still a small sense of disapointment.
    Haha that's human nature for you.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #50  
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    29,331
    Quote Originally Posted by grevsmoker View Post
    She's ridiculous. 7 olympic gold medals, 14 olympic medals in total. But we're a strange country. 37 medals so far, by far the most and there is still a small sense of disapointment.
    well you do have entire tv channels dedicated to burning logs on a fire.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #51  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,951
    Billy Morgan wins Bronze in the Big Air Mens Snowboard.

    This means the UK team have met their minimum target in number of medals and the team is the most successful British team to attend a Winter Olympics.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •