Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The greatest of all time

1. #1 Default The greatest of all time 
    A comment in the Salah or Suarez post inspired me to post this

Who would you say is your

Top 3 greatest players in history to ever don the Liverpool shirt

Personal favourite

Iíll kick it off and Iíll stick to players Iv seen in my lifetime ( thatís not a rule , pick who you want )

Gerrard
    Fowler
    Suarez

My personal favourite is Stevie , no team has ever had a better captain in my opinion ,he dragged us through time and time again and carried a team well below his level for years and years , in his peak I believe he was one of the top 2 or 3 players in the world if not the best.

Maybe Iím biased but anyway ....

Go for it
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Suarez is the best player Iíve ever seen in a Liverpool shirt. Irrelevant how long he was here, he was hands down the most talented footballer. Gerrard second for reasons that I donít need to explain and John Barnes in third

Gazza74 is online now LFC Hall of Fame Resident
    Numero uno is without doubt King Kenny for me, no one comes close in my eyes.

After him i'd say Johnny Barnes and Stevie Gerrard would make up my 3 from those i've seen live.

I could name so many others too, either those i've seen live, or from our history, that could be in anyones top 3 and not out of place at all.

Yehez is online now Rating revolutionary
    From what I've seen live throughout my lifetime, Gerrard is number one.

Suarez, Fowler, Owen and Torres behind.

Over Liverpool's history, I think in addition to Gerrard, Dalglish and Barnes would be the top 3.

FistofRage is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza74 View Post
    Numero uno is without doubt King Kenny for me, no one comes close in my eyes.

After him i'd say Johnny Barnes and Stevie Gerrard would make up my 3 from those i've seen live.

I could name so many others too, either those i've seen live, or from our history, that could be in anyones top 3 and not out of place at all.
    Spot on Gazza - The King is the greatest player ever to worn the shirt. I saw his goal at Wembley in '78 when we won the European Cup. Just one of many amazing contributions he has made over the years to Liverpool FC.

Johnny Barnes bristling with talent, used to glide past players like they weren't there - incredible talent.

Gerrard - when I saw him play, it was like he was a super human compared to all the other players on the pitch. Faster, stronger, more aggressive, more powerful - everything about him was on a whole different level.

My three top players.

Dalglish but he played in a far better side than Gerrard or Suarez for example, although on the flip side they were far better because he made them better. Barnes would be up there too.

The greatest that I have seen has to be Kenny. However, when ever I speak to people who have seen many previous era's, everyone, bar non, say Billy Liddell was the greatest player LFC ever had.

Played for LFC for his whole career, scored 228 goals in 534 appearances, not always in good teams and he wasn't a forward, he was a winger, which makes his goal ratio even more impressive. He was also the only player to be picked for both of the only two times a GB football team played.

Gerrard, Suarez and Torres for me.

Quote Originally Posted by reallash View Post
    The greatest that I have seen has to be Kenny. However, when ever I speak to people who have seen many previous era's, everyone, bar non, say Billy Liddell was the greatest player LFC ever had.

Played for LFC for his whole career, scored 228 goals in 534 appearances, not always in good teams and he wasn't a forward, he was a winger, which makes his goal ratio even more impressive. He was also the only player to be picked for both of the only two times a GB football team played.
    I would go for Billy Liddell as well. There is one mistake in your post. Stanley Matthews was also picked twice for great britain as well as Billy. I only saw him a couple of times at the end of his career playing for the reserves but my dad and others say he was unstoppable. Left foot right foot and head. After Billy I would put Peter Thompson . He could do anything with a ball
    Lastly would be Stevie and Kenny together Brilliant both of them

Number 1 for me is Gerrard. Played is a mix of average teams yet was the reason we achieved most of what we did during his career.
    Dalglish was brilliant too but, like has been said, played in a much better side so was never tested like Gerrard in terms of onus.
    Louis Suarez could have been among Gerrard and Suarez had he stayed longer, he didn’t but ŗ genius nonetheless.

After that I’d have notable mentions to Ray Clemance, John Barnes and Fernando Torres.

In my time watching us (no order)

Barnes
    Gerrard
    Suarez.
    YNWA

Keegan
    Dalglish
    Suarez

King Kenny Dalglish has to be number one. Simply because he was the main man when we were dominating Europe.

Ian Rush number two. For similar reasons to King Kenny. When we were the best team in Europe he scored the goals. He's also our top goalscorer of all time.

Steven Gerrard is third - Responsible for the best night in the history of our club. Scored in the FA Cup Final, League Cup Final, Champions League Final, UEFA Cup Final, the FIFA World Cup and Euros. Our most capped international footballer. The man who has been picked in the Premier League team of the season more than any other player. Countless last minute goals and without him LFC's 21st Century would be pretty bleak so far. As it is we've won everything apart from the league, even reaching two Champions League Finals and 1 Club World Cup Final - it all came through him.

And just for sport -

............Clemence
    Nichol, Hansen, Hughes, Kennedy
    ........Souness, Alonso
    Gerrard, Dalglish, Barnes,
    ................Rush
    Last edited by aGothAndaJock; 9-2-18 at 12:09.

LordJamieOfCarragher is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    • Dalglish
    • Gerrard
    • Barnes

Wow. Dalglish isnít the best because he played in a great side ?

Jesus Iíve heard it all now.

Kenny Dalglish for those who arenít lucky enough to of seen him play live made you gasp. He literally did things that made you stand open mouthed with a huge grin on your face. The guy was incredible.

aylesbyred is offline Boot Room insider
    can we increase it to ten i feel i'm letting down some greats with a list of kenny, robbie and gerrard
    53757 - declared

Dalglish, Gerrard & Souness.

Phenomenal players. Tough to pick that 3rd spot, but I'll stick with that.

In my lifetime (for total achievement, service, as well as skill):

Dalglish
    Gerrard
    Rush

For pure skill levels only:

Barnes
    Suarez
    Gerrard

As others have said tho, for historic purposes, it's probably guaranteed that Liddell would be in that 3.

Dalglish, Gerrard and Barnes.

Suarez is my number four, mainly due to the longer years of magnificent service by the three I choose.

Quote Originally Posted by aGothAndaJock View Post
    King Kenny Dalglish has to be number one. Simply because he was the main man when we were dominating Europe.

Ian Rush number two. For similar reasons to King Kenny. When we were the best team in Europe he scored the goals. He's also our top goalscorer of all time.

Steven Gerrard is third - Responsible for the best night in the history of our club. Scored in the FA Cup Final, League Cup Final, Champions League Final, UEFA Cup Final, the FIFA World Cup and Euros. Our most capped international footballer. The man who has been picked in the Premier League team of the season more than any other player. Countless last minute goals and without him LFC's 21st Century would be pretty bleak so far. As it is we've won everything apart from the league, even reaching two Champions League Finals and 1 Club World Cup Final - it all came through him.

And just for sport -

............Clemence
    Nichol, Hansen, Hughes, Kennedy
    ........Souness, Alonso
    Gerrard, Dalglish, Barnes,
    ................Rush
    Impressive line up. Tempted to put Lawrenson at left back or Nicol , Not Nichol , and Neal right back.

And Dalglish the greatest of all time .

In my lifetime:
    Barnes
    Rush
    Suarez

Just missed kenny, he was player manager as I remember him and Stevie just misses out. Fowler too

3 is so tough.

Push comes to shove:

Barnes
    Gerrard
    Rush

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    3 is so tough.

Push comes to shove:

Barnes
    Gerrard
    Rush
    Interesting that Dalglish isn't in there.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    Interesting that Dalglish isn't in there.
    He might be if I was asked again in a few weeks!

I was watching at the end of Kenny's playing career, so earliest memories was that double winning season, but as an 8 year old i didn't grasp it fully. Came to appreciate his talent later really

Barnes and Rush though, obsessed with the pair of them

We need a top 10

MiraclesArePossible is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    He might be if I was asked again in a few weeks!

I was watching at the end of Kenny's playing career, so earliest memories was that double winning season, but as an 8 year old i didn't grasp it fully. Came to appreciate his talent later really

Barnes and Rush though, obsessed with the pair of them

We need a top 10
    Yeah fair enough! He was well before my time as well unfortunately, but my old man would never forgive me for not giving him the #1 spot. Gerrard and Suarez complete my list.

Alpha Papa is offline Academy prospect
    Torres, Murphy, Staunton.

Gazza74 is online now LFC Hall of Fame Resident
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddes View Post
    Wow. Dalglish isn’t the best because he played in a great side ?

Jesus I’ve heard it all now.

Kenny Dalglish for those who aren’t lucky enough to of seen him play live made you gasp. He literally did things that made you stand open mouthed with a huge grin on your face. The guy was incredible.
    Yeh, i'd say it was harder for Kenny in those teams, not easier, because he was surrounded by world class players and yet stood out fully as the best of them all, which is much harder to do than if surrounded by average players.

Being in a great side is the clincher for me, not what means he doesn't quite make it to number 1, he will always be number 1 for me as no one so far has come close.

That's what makes him the best for me as he wasn't just another top player in a great side, he stood out above them as the best, that isn't easy and is a big thing that shows his incredible ability.

Alpha Papa is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddes View Post
    Wow. Dalglish isn’t the best because he played in a great side ?

Jesus I’ve heard it all now.

Kenny Dalglish for those who aren’t lucky enough to of seen him play live made you gasp. He literally did things that made you stand open mouthed with a huge grin on your face. The guy was incredible.
    I think you've completely missed the point here to be honest.

Nobody is saying that playing in a great side made him a worse player. I think people are saying that when you have brilliant players around you - Souness covering and winning the ball, Rush running behind the defence, Barnes flying outside you etc - it helps you shine. There are actually balls to play, you get chances made for you etc.

That's all tougher when the side isn't as good. Do you remember how average Coutinho looked when he had Balotelli and Lambert in front of him?

Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesArePossible View Post
    Yeah fair enough! He was well before my time as well unfortunately, but my old man would never forgive me for not giving him the #1 spot. Gerrard and Suarez complete my list.
    It's a worthy list.

Aye no doubt Kenny was the greatest player, then growing up watching his teams as a manager too, they reflected him perfectly.

I loved Beardsley & Whelan too

Letís do what the Americans do, when theyíre asked to give their ĎMount Rushmore Ď of greatest players, in any particular sport.

For me, with the extra player added, Iíd have to include Ian Rush to my original list.
    YNWA