Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The greatest of all time

Depends how you classify greatest. For me Suarez is the best to ever play for us, genuinely the best player in the world 13/14. Alonso is the finest passer of the ball and the most underrated player we've had. Main reason Spain dominated when he was a regular. Gerrard is the most complete player and struck the ball better than anyone. Gerrard could make average players look good.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Could be argued Souness as the greatest all round British player, ever.
    YNWA

Gerrard, Barnes, Suarez in that order, from the players I have seen.

Has a team in the PL years ever had to replace a bigger 'icon' than we did with Stevie? He wasnt at his peak obviously but what other 'big' club has had to replace what could be argued to be their best EVER player. Henry and Arsenal, Lampard/Terry at Chelsea but they probably weren't as reliant on that one player as we were at his peak.

The best all round player I have seen in my lifetime. As in, "could play in any position, defence or attack, and be brilliant" all-rounder.

Moreno.

Gerrard, SuŠrez, Hyypiš in no particular order. I'll revisit players before my time when I have finished watching all our games.

I feel like a top ten list the majority would agree on , but a top 3 is hard and itís interesting to see the debate on who people choose

If you wanna do your Mount Rushmore and add a fourth Iím game , Iíll still stick to players Iv seen in my time and add alonso to my list , he controlled a game and his passing and vision was second to none

3 is impossible.

Dalglish is number one.

Souness, Barnes, Rush, Gerrard

but what about all the rest ?

So many names I could name 3 teams of legends and probably 7 or 8 pairs of strikers.

In my time based on talent alone:
    Suarez
    Gerrard
    Torres

Taking into account all other factors, Stevie G is number one by a country mile.

I can't remember much prior to the turn of the century (6 years old then) but my Dad constantly assures me that Dalglish, Barnes, Rush, and Souness were Demi-Gods

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza74 View Post
    Numero uno is without doubt King Kenny for me, no one comes close in my eyes.

After him i'd say Johnny Barnes and Stevie Gerrard would make up my 3 from those i've seen live.

I could name so many others too, either those i've seen live, or from our history, that could be in anyones top 3 and not out of place at all.
    Those would be my Top 3 as well.

Both for their supreme abilities as players and their deep-rooted connection with the club.

We've had so many great players but the overall impacts from these three separate & elevate them from the rest.

Hard to do really with different eraís and teams, quality of squads they played in, etc

But in my time watching LFC the 3 players Iíve enjoyed watching the most would be Suarez, Fowler and Torres.

Quote Originally Posted by brummiered01 View Post
    Hard to do really with different era’s and teams, quality of squads they played in, etc

But in my time watching LFC the 3 players I’ve enjoyed watching the most would be Suarez, Fowler and Torres.
    That's a good take on things . Who've you've enjoyed watching the most for us .

I wish Danny Murphy had played over 30 games for us against United .

And we'd signed Jari years before we did

Quote Originally Posted by redhoops View Post

Good point in Jari. Always thought the same of Gary McAllister

1.Dalglish
    2.Souness
    3.Gerrard

Always my top 3....

I often have a difficult time deciding who is in 2nd or 3rd spot. So far Souness wins 2nd as he did have a spell as manager here and he did win us an FA cup.... If Stevie has a chance to manage here he could move up the list to second but I don't think he will ever pass the King..... unless he can do a Shanks and make us great again.

Quote Originally Posted by redhoops View Post

I just figure with a lot of the greats before my time Iím relying on videos of them, and you canít recreate the tension and passion that would have been involved in those games at the time.

Agree entirely with Litmanen, such a talented footballer. A real shame we never seen the best of him here.

Steve McMahon was a very underrated footballer. Not saying he was the best, but he was the engine room of that great, late Ď80ís team.
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    Steve McMahon was a very underrated footballer. Not saying he was the best, but he was the engine room of that great, late Ď80ís team.
    Yeah he was top quality, had that presence about him. Tough guy that scared some opponents but technically top player too who could control midfield & chipped in with goals too.

I bought a pair of McMahon Hi-Tech football boots as a kid, they made me no better

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Yeah he was top quality, had that presence about him. Tough guy that scared some opponents but technically top player too who could control midfield & chipped in with goals too.

I bought a pair of McMahon Hi-Tech football boots as a kid, they made me no better
    I remember a game where he closelined Gazza. Quality.
    YNWA

Dalglish
    Souness
    Hansen

Aye, I'm Scottish.

I remember a game where he closelined Gazza. Quality.
    Was that the one when he bloodied Gazza's nose...then gave a wink at the camera? The Match ITV.

We won 3-1 at their gaff, Rush got a couple if that's the one

Was that the one when he bloodied Gazza's nose...then gave a wink at the camera? The Match ITV.

Yeah. Around October or November of 1990.
    YNWA

Just to add...I think that was the game where Kenny left Houghton and Beardsley on the bench and played Molby as a sweeper. Kenny would do things like that from time to time.
    YNWA

Gazza74 is offline LFC Hall of Fame Resident
    Just to add...I think that was the game where Kenny left Houghton and Beardsley on the bench and played Molby as a sweeper. Kenny would do things like that from time to time.
    Pre match threads from Kenny's 1st time as manager would have been a sight to behold at times when the teams came out .

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza74 View Post
    Pre match threads from Kenny's 1st time as manager would have been a sight to behold at times when the teams came out .
    Yeah. Think he started with Burrows as a wing back. Molby sweeper and Barnes and Rush up top.
    YNWA

Steve McMahon was a very underrated footballer. Not saying he was the best, but he was the engine room of that great, late ‘80’s team.
    McMahon, Whelan & Molby was some midfield 3. All different but all equally effective.

Dalglish, Barnes, Gerrard.

Suarez was right up there at his best, but only for a couple of seasons. If we're picking 4 it'd be Rush next.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMrMustard View Post
    McMahon, Whelan & Molby was some midfield 3. All different but all equally effective.
    You’ve just named 3 players who are often forgotten when this topic is brought up. Ronnie especially, an amazing player .