Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't we just go back to the old rules

1. #1 Default can't we just go back to the old rules 
    attacker runs through knocks ball past defender and defender takes him out. your not gonna let someone score in your goal, especially someone with a fancy haircut like ronaldo. just take him out. also remove the lightweight ball and introduce a proper football so when ronaldo hits a freekick the keeper just saves it instead of being conned by a lightweight ball moving everywhere. that doesn't make him a good player. we're just fooling ourselves. and offside is offside, if he goes too early he's off. so a defence who keeps a flat line is celebrated like the arsenal back line was. i prefer that game.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Preach

aylesbyred is offline Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoagain View Post
    attacker runs through knocks ball past defender and defender takes him out. your not gonna let someone score in your goal, especially someone with a fancy haircut like ronaldo. just take him out. also remove the lightweight ball and introduce a proper football so when ronaldo hits a freekick the keeper just saves it instead of being conned by a lightweight ball moving everywhere. that doesn't make him a good player. we're just fooling ourselves. and offside is offside, if he goes too early he's off. so a defence who keeps a flat line is celebrated like the arsenal back line was. i prefer that game.
    Keepers can pick up a back pass

Football boots - proper ones; black or brown with screw ins and no you cannot wear pne black and one brown

Crap pitches and orange balls in the snow

Cool thread

And no gloves!

Quote Originally Posted by photoholic View Post
    And no gloves!

kickthetyres is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Lace-up footballs that arent properly round and feel like they are filled with cement when you head them.

Half time scores at other games announced by hanging numbers by lettered boards where the adverts now are, the letters correspond to the matches shown in your program.

Kickoff at 3pm Saturday only

Never ending FA cup replays

Only league champions enter European Cup. ....... oh wait, scratch tbat one.

Quote Originally Posted by kickthetyres View Post
    Lace-up footballs that arent properly round and feel like they are filled with cement when you head them.

Half time scores at other games announced by hanging numbers by lettered boards where the adverts now are, the letters correspond to the matches shown in your program.

The last one under the old rules is ok because under the old rules we used to win the league a lot

Liverdinner is online now Posts With His Faace
    I'd bring in a five match ban for players who deliberately hack someone down who is through on goal.

Did Ronaldo steal your missus OP?

FistofRage is online now First team regular
    I like these ideas - especially the return to the heavier ball.

I believe we should go back to the brown leather casey complete with laces and a bladder.

One that absorbs water like a sponge thus adding to the enjoyment of heading it or getting it wellied into your stonks

Quote Originally Posted by Liverdinner View Post
    I'd bring in a five match ban for players who deliberately hack someone down who is through on goal.
    With the punishment you'd need a decent judge - see Kompany on Vardy earlier this season - the whole universe called it red, yet the dope ref gave a yellow.

I forgot about the shape of the casey - good point

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Keepers can pick up a back pass

Football boots - proper ones; black or brown with screw ins and no you cannot wear pne black and one brown

Crap pitches and orange balls in the snow

Cool thread
    Good call about the boots - I'd enforce that one with immediate effect.

What about a bit of terrace violence as well

Quote Originally Posted by hysen View Post
    What about a bit of terrace violence as well
    Er no. I'll leave that out of my pick-n-mix of things i want back from the past

Er no. I'll leave that out of my pick-n-mix of things i want back from the past
    True, at 49 I canít run away as fast as I used to

True, at 49 I can’t run away as fast as I used to
    Trying to remember the worst fans I came up against. Burnley had some evil swines, as did Sheff Utd. Funnily enough despite their old rep and the way they still big themselves up, Man U never scared me, kind of pansy-ish

Trying to remember the worst fans I came up against. Burnley had some evil swines, as did Sheff Utd. Funnily enough despite their old rep and the way they still big themselves up, Man U never scared me, kind of pansy-ish
    United and Chelsea, West Ham were horrible, Birmingham was scary

True, at 49 I can’t run away as fast as I used to
    I remember back in the 70s a small group of us coming face to face with a group of West Ham fans after an away game. We legged it but got split up, after 10 mins of turning this way and that through the streets of east London I had no idea where I was. No phone with satnav then. I had to go to a newsagent and buy a paper, some sweeties....oh and a local map if youve got one.
    No thanks, not again.

I remember back in the 70s a small group of us coming face to face with a group of West Ham fans after an away game. We legged it but got split up, after 10 mins of turning this way and that through the streets of east London I had no idea where I was. No phone with satnav then. I had to go to a newsagent and buy a paper, some sweeties....oh and a local map if youve got one.
    No thanks, not again.
    Got chased through some alleys when City used to play at Maine Road, in the delightful area of Moss Side.

Got chased through some alleys when City used to play at Maine Road, in the delightful area of Moss Side.
    Funnily 96 Maine Road Oasis, only time I ever went; wandered off looking for a place to get some tinnies, Jesus it was frightening

Liverdinner is online now Posts With His Faace
    Quote Originally Posted by FistofRage View Post
    With the punishment you'd need a decent judge - see Kompany on Vardy earlier this season - the whole universe called it red, yet the dope ref gave a yellow.
    We need to get rid of this retrospective ******** where punishments can't be upgraded

Quote Originally Posted by Liverdinner View Post
    We need to get rid of this retrospective ******** where punishments can't be upgraded
    Good one. Just because a ref sees an incident doesnt mean they saw exactly what happened.

Seriously? You want to go back to the snorefest of the 80s? Did you even watch the Italia 90 final?

Seriously, you don't want to go back to those days where serie A football played at a snail's pace with defensive formations squeezing the life out of both the opposition attackers and the watching public ruled the roost.

There were plenty of awful football fans. Millwall, Luton town, birmingham, Leeds united. The 80s in particular was a nasty time. I'm pretty glad those days are in the past.

Tight shorts, baggy shirts, mullets and moustaches?

Massive mud pits in the goalkeeper's area?

As long as there are no more silly rule changes that make defending impossible.

Defending properly is a part of the game, and I hope it stays that way !

What about red cards for those deliberate half-way line fouls to stop counter attacks? It seems odd that you get a red for deliberately bringing down someone who would otherwise get a goalscoring opportunity, but only a yellow for stopping a 4 on 2 break that would usually result in the ball being walked into the net.

I realise that this is the opposite of what the thread is suggesting.

i agree with you in a sensible sense here. Every weekend we hear about referee mistakes, linesman mistakes, another interpretation of the rules - even with VAR there is still debate. It's good for TV pundits, but its bad for the game. If referees cannot officiate the game with the current rule set then simplify them - for example offside rule, make it as simple as positions when ball is kicked - if linesman is in doubt they can use VAR.
    Penalties are a joke. if the VVD challenge v Spurs was somewhere else on the pitch then the attacker wont go down. that's simple. But the conning by attackers is a farce - such a grey area trying to guess if they've gone down intentionally or not. points, seasons and titles are being decided by poor refereeing decisions and cheating in the box because the rules allow it.
    I think if its a one on one, and they are cleaned out by goalkeeper then a penalty is a just reward. But to stop cheating in the box when there is no clear cut chance of scoring i think they should stop awarding penalties - instead judge it by a harsher punishment for a foul. Example a red card for a dive, or a red card for fouling the attacker. Then i don't think it would be worth either the attacker or the defender deliberately fouling..
    Would be a big change but its frustrating seeing so many games decided by big decisions. You will never be able to say with consistency if somebody dived or not, so they should make some change where it doesn't give the attacker a massive advantage to try to go down in the box.

NY Mike is online now First team regular
    Penalty areas like mud baths by early October.