Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Southampton Post Match

dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    I like TAA and Andy Robertson as our left and right-back defenders/wingbacks. They give me confidence in that they are quick. Still a bit raw and liable to have attackers go past them sometimes ... nevertheless, that will happen to the best defenders around. Pretty high standard of players to have in those two positions.

People keep on having a go at the midfield. They are right, but the way they have been organised has been just about right till now. Yeah, the danger is that they will be found out. Klopp has got the whole team to attack and defend as a unit. This is the thing which comes over. Of course, Keita with his attacking drive will add to this. Nevertheless. Xabi Alonso would have been great in our midfield. Different times unfortunately.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    I thought Van Dijk was fantastic. Karius was very good too.

I didn't like our midfield play either in the first or second half. Way too panicky on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKnucklesOfAgger View Post
    Mate that had me squanching myself silly!
    Ha! It was a squanchy moment alright, soon as the ball hit the back of the squanch I was squanching

Quote Originally Posted by Morsy View Post
    We played much better second half but didn't score. Very accomplished and professional performance.
    Yep very pleased with that element, probably more pleasing than the quality of our goals.

As a general rule we’re not very good when it comes to taking the sting out of a game and slowing the pace down when needed.

Hustle and bustle isn’t always going to work so that 2nd half was really refreshing

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post

I didn't like our midfield play either in the first or second half. Way too panicky on the ball.
    Not so much second half, thought the midfield was much smarter with the ball at 2-0... even Milner came on & played rather well with some nifty passes.

Quote Originally Posted by tonylet View Post
    I *********** hate references to that season and Rodgers now. We lost a game that we needed to draw. Gerrard messes up. The amount of people that like to slaughter Rodgers, but somehow give Gerrard a free pass is astounding. **** cohesion, it was pure bad luck.
    It wasn't all on one game though, obviously. That season things fell into place in the game Suarez got the armband and Gerrard was out funny enough with Lucas playing six. I didn't give Gerrard a free pass that season at all, in fact I was constantly saying that this 'quarterback' thing Gerrard wanted to play was a nonsense that made the midfield vulnerable.

We won’t get away with playing like that bs Porto although our passing slightly improved in the second half. One thing for certain is that we’ll always look dangerous on the break. Bar the assist I thought Firmino was very poor. Gave the ball away far too often with needless flicks or underhit lay offs. Needs to improve in that regard. As for the midfield; it is what it is. Ox just isn’t a central midfielder.

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrams View Post
    We won’t get away with playing like that bs Porto although our passing slightly improved in the second half. One thing for certain is that we’ll always look dangerous on the break. Bar the assist I thought Firmino was very poor. Gave the ball away far too often with needless flicks or underhit lay offs. Needs to improve in that regard. As for the midfield; it is what it is. Ox just isn’t a central midfielder.
    Agree. Midfield was poor once again. There was very little pressure on them and they still kept tripping over their own feet. Especially Can.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrams View Post
    yes i think everyone bar Van dijk was sloppy
    Eagle Face Moron

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMc9 View Post
    I also think we didn’t really need to play with any intensity. Could also be a factor. We need to improve the midfield though.
    YNWA

I was not impressed with our display yesterday. The goals were excellent pieces of work, but overall, I thought we were very poor but were lucky in that Southhampton were worse. (How many times did they pass the ball directly into touch?)

Our full backs were poor yesterday, particularly in the first half and I think Klopp alluded to that in his interview, saying that they were left "exposed" to the diagonal ball.

VVD looked impressive but was under no pressure. But I think he works on "looking impressive".

Matip I am not a fan of. Give me Lovren any day.

Karius I'm growing to like but he is a "work-in-progress"; and I don't think it has anything to do with the arrival of VVD.

I feel sorry for AOC; he seems to suffer from a chronic lack of confidence.

Gini I'm a fan of but I think he should be made into our out-and-out defensive midfielder.

Bobby would be my first name on the team sheet; I think the guy is brilliant, but he had a lot of poor touched yesterday.

Mané was very good but can't buy a goal these days.

And Salah ....well....the guy is a goal machine, but misses some excellent opportunities as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanogdearg View Post
    I was not impressed with our display yesterday. The goals were excellent pieces of work, but overall, I thought we were very poor but were lucky in that Southhampton were worse. (How many times did they pass the ball directly into touch?)

Our full backs were poor yesterday, particularly in the first half and I think Klopp alluded to that in his interview, saying that they were left "exposed" to the diagonal ball.

VVD looked impressive but was under no pressure. But I think he works on "looking impressive".

Karius I'm growing to like but he is a "work-in-progress"; and I don't think it has anything to do with the arrival of VVD.

Gini I'm a fan of but I think he should be made into our out-and-out defensive midfielder.

Bobby would be my first name on the team sheet; I think the guy is brilliant, but he had a lot of poor touched yesterday.

And Salah ....well....the guy is a goal machine, but misses some excellent opportunities as well.
    what?
    Eagle Face Moron

aylesbyred is offline Boot Room insider
    what?
    He’s saying our players are great but ****

And that we scored great goals but we were **** too

I think

Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    He’s saying our players are great but ****

And that we scored great goals but we were **** too

I think
    i just mean the bit , he said van dijk works on "looking impressive" as if it's some sort of illusion
    Eagle Face Moron

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleSulk View Post
    It wasn't all on one game though, obviously. That season things fell into place in the game Suarez got the armband and Gerrard was out funny enough with Lucas playing six. I didn't give Gerrard a free pass that season at all, in fact I was constantly saying that this 'quarterback' thing Gerrard wanted to play was a nonsense that made the midfield vulnerable.
    Sterling yards onside in the game against City. Or Mannone dropping an absolute howler against City in stoppage time to gift them a crucial point. Or Kolo gifting WBA a goal.

All individual incidents that had bigger bearing than our 'cohesion'. Just like Gerrard's slip.

In the first half we weren't great between the goals, but only one team in it 2nd half.

We had about 3-4 glorious chances to score. Southampton had 1 shot at goal, from a set piece. Complete control.

Everyone saying we were crap probably means that 20-25 minute period when Southamoton were on top. Thankfully the game is 90 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by tonylet View Post
    In the first half we weren't great between the goals, but only one team in it 2nd half.

We had about 3-4 glorious chances to score. Southampton had 1 shot at goal, from a set piece. Complete control.

Everyone saying we were crap probably means that 20-25 minute period when Southamoton were on top. Thankfully the game is 90 minutes.
    i'm actually quite happy with yestersay , i just think our passing was very sloppy at times if we'd have been on form it would have been 5/6 easy
    Eagle Face Moron

i'm actually quite happy with yestersay , i just think our passing was very sloppy at times if we'd have been on form it would have been 5/6 easy
    Probably, but I still don't see the passing being that big of a problem with some of Salah or Mane's chances in the 2nd half.

Or the Salah's side netting when McCarthy made a good save from Firmino.

Hard to assess from highlights. I havent seen the game in full so its tough to really analyse any given performance.

Seemed to be exposed behind the fullbacks more than usual; midfield still not working. But again its possibly just how the 'reel was cut' so to speak.

Karius looked good.

Happy with a win and clean sheet after results around us.

Onward.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanogdearg View Post

Gini would be by far and away the WORST defensive midfielder in the history of the game.

The lad pulls out of tackles that aren't even made for gods sake!

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post

Klopp alluded to this in his post match interview when he said they made some strange decisions with passes.

We could all see it, over hitting balls or putting the receiving player under pressure by passing to him in a tight area, as opposed to seeing the much easier outlet pass.

Our MF are not comfortable on the ball, not one of them treats the ball 'as a friend', it's get it and give it right away, instead of being comfortable holding onto it, bringing it forward and setting up something.

Maybe Lalla coming back can provide that comfort in possession aspect, his cameo yesterday showed how much more relaxed in possession he is compared to what Ox, Can, and to a lesser extent Gini (I thought he was the best of a bad lot in MF yesterday).

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer-LFC View Post
    Correct.

It amazes me how Liverpool fans go on about that slip as the reason we didn't win the title. It was one moment in a 38 game season.

I remember a Kolo Toure howler against West Brom directly costing us two points also but nobody ever mentions That, plus that Hull game, plus losing at home to Southampton etc etc
    Oh yes I forgot about that blunder as well... Gerrard slipping doesn’t move the needle for me... It was the typical Liverpool dropping points all over the place to bums that did cost us