Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Virgil Van Dijk

Out of our current centre backs, I think Lovren would be best suited to play alongside VVD.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Excellent yesterday. Delighted we signed him. Exactly the type of profile and quality we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    That he's playing alongside VVD.
    What?

He played one game with VVD and he was directly at fault for giving away a penalty.

Out of our current centre backs, I think Lovren would be best suited to play alongside VVD.
    Has a brain fart in him, but Lovren's always been better on the right.

Even with Sakho when we had the EL run, they looked decent together.

Quote Originally Posted by tonylet View Post
    Has a brain fart in him, but Lovren's always been better on the right.

Even with Sakho when we had the EL run, they looked decent together.
    Absolutely.
    YNWA

I think you could play Matip, Klavan or Lovren next to VVD until the end of the season and won't see much of a difference. All capable of calamity but have their uses. In the summer though we need to bring a new guy in for me.

Mersey Dudek is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC-Simon-95 View Post
    I think you could play Matip, Klavan or Lovren next to VVD until the end of the season and won't see much of a difference. All capable of calamity but have their uses. In the summer though we need to bring a new guy in for me.
    Me too. I'd sell Lovren and buy another one. Don't think he will though.

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    Still canít believe it when I see him in our shirt. He was superb yesterday.

His partner is a conundrum, Matip likes a forward direct pass, it was his initial ball to Salah, however, he looks shaky defensively. Lovren is more basic and actually has looked pretty solid along side the big man.

Will we realistically sell one of Matip and Lovren to bring in a partner ? Not sure
    i agree with that, thought lovren with him looked quite solid. maybe not being the dominant player suits lovren better. didn't they play together at saints?? can't recall.

i don't think we will sell either of them just yet. matip is a weird one, gave him last season to settle yet he hasn't done much this season, so a bit disappointed. think he will get one more season but if it stays the same i can see klopp moving him on.

MoMoMoMoMoMoMo is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer-LFC View Post
    We definitely need another CB.

Matip started off well here but has been very poor for quite a while now.

Lovren has used up his chances.

Gomez? Maybe. But think next year might be too early to he a first choice LFC CB.

We won't sign a DM or a forward player.
    We will sign a forward player but we wont sign a CB.

Agreed.

Those 3 have shown that they can't do it and I don't see why having VVD alongside them will change that.

What?

He played one game with VVD and he was directly at fault for giving away a penalty.
    Both players gave away penalties .Spurs are a quality side

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2 View Post
    Both players gave away penalties .Spurs are a quality side
    Yeah. I thought we defended ok against spurs.
    YNWA

Agreed.

Those 3 have shown that they can't do it and I don't see why having VVD alongside them will change that.
    Comical how myopic people are when analysing our players, compared to other players at other clubs. VVD has been here just under 2 months and people have already written off any current CB's having a successful partnership with him, ridiculous. United have spent £528m since Ferguson left and they still have Smalling and Jones starting at CB, finding a CB pairing isn't as easy as some people think. The least people can do give players half a season to the see if they can strike up a partnership, to claim someone can or can do something based on a couple of months is pretty ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by bigscouse View Post
    Comical how myopic people are when analysing our players, compared to other players at other clubs. VVD has been here just under 2 months and people have already written off any current CB's having a successful partnership with him, ridiculous. United have spent £528m since Ferguson left and they still have Smalling and Jones starting at CB, finding a CB pairing isn't as easy as some people think. The least people can do give players half a season to the see if they can strike up a partnership, to claim someone can or can do something based on a couple of months is pretty ridiculous.
    Lovren has been here 4 years not a couple of months.

Myopic indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by bigscouse View Post
    So if you have a piece of bread that's been in your cupboard for 3 years and you know is mouldy, you'd still try it with your fancy Christmas soup to see if it goes well? I don't think so, to get the best out of the soup you need a new piece of bread.

So if you have a piece of bread that's been in your cupboard for 3 years and you know is mouldy, you'd still try it with your fancy Christmas soup to see if it goes well? I don't think so, to get the best out of the soup you need a new piece of bread.
    Ok

Lovren has been here 4 years not a couple of months.

Myopic indeed.
    ......Which has zero to do with the point I was making, which proves how myopic you are.

TheKnucklesOfAgger is online now Academy prospect
    An inadequate player can look slightly better with good players around him but by and large will always revert to type.

VVD looked absolutely superb yesterday. Iíve personally been a bit down about how Klopp got rid of Sakho as I honestly thought compared to Matip and Lovren he was the better player even tho he had an oddness to his movement, ball control, passing and running... hell he just looked odd.

VVD looked boss against Southampton so now Iím feeling far happier I canít remember seeing such a dominate CB in red.

There have been many great CBs in the EPL, Adams, Campbell, Pallister, Stam (he was unreal), Terry, Ferdinand, Kompany... I never really felt Hyypia or Carragher were in that category (some will disagree) but Iíve high hopes with VVD.

Like many here Iíve been a massive Lovren critic (he just makes too many mistakes) but Iíve grown a soft spot for him. Heís still better than a lot of CBs out there. Iíd prefer him with VVD but Iím not sure his passing is up to scratch.

Until we get Keita and another CM capable of actually playing the full repotoire in midfield we rely on our CBs passing ability. Thatís probably why Klopp selects Matip. His pass that led up to Salahís goal is a perfect example of that.

Yeah. I thought we defended ok against spurs.
    We did, I thought the introduction of Matip seemed to confuse the other two.We needed another body in the middle not at the back

Quote Originally Posted by TheKnucklesOfAgger View Post
    An inadequate player can look slightly better with good players around him but by and large will always revert to type.
    Arguably a better way of putting it!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-El View Post
    VVD looked absolutely superb yesterday. I’ve personally been a bit down about how Klopp got rid of Sakho as I honestly thought compared to Matip and Lovren he was the better player even tho he had an oddness to his movement, ball control, passing and running... hell he just looked odd.

VVD looked boss against Southampton so now I’m feeling far happier I can’t remember seeing such a dominate CB in red.

There have been many great CBs in the EPL, Adams, Campbell, Pallister, Stam (he was unreal), Terry, Ferdinand, Kompany... I never really felt Hyypia or Carragher were in that category (some will disagree) but I’ve high hopes with VVD.

Like many here I’ve been a massive Lovren critic (he just makes too many mistakes) but I’ve grown a soft spot for him. He’s still better than a lot of CBs out there. I’d prefer him with VVD but I’m not sure his passing is up to scratch.

Until we get Keita and another CM capable of actually playing the full repotoire in midfield we rely on our CBs passing ability. That’s probably why Klopp selects Matip. His pass that led up to Salah’s goal is a perfect example of that.
    Hyypia was superb

Hyypia was superb
    Best center back we've had since Hansen imo.

Gazza74 is online now LFC Hall of Fame Resident
    Hyypia was superb
    Course he was, what an odd statement.

Big Sami is well and truly one of the great centre backs in the prem, was awesome and for a good decade too.

Hyypia and Carra were both great CBs

He's a beautiful centre back.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze31 View Post
    Agreed. Still donít think he was of the same calibre as the likes of Sol Campbell and Japp Stam. Another top draw EPL CB was Marcel Desailly... a converted CM!

Gazza74 is online now LFC Hall of Fame Resident
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe-El View Post
    Agreed. Still don’t think he was of the same calibre as the likes of Sol Campbell and Japp Stam. Another top draw EPL CB was Marcel Desailly... a converted CM!
    Of course he was of the same calibre, big Sami was a world class, wonderful centre half.

TheKnucklesOfAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Hyypia was superb
    Itís embarrassing this even needs to be said. I donít think itís overstating it to say heíd have slotted into pretty much any side.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze31 View Post
    Itís all opinions. Like Robbie Fowler was absolutely amazing, but Alan Shearer, Thierry Henry, Rudd Van Nistlerooy, Didier Drogba, Nando Torres (for a while) and Luis Suarez were another step up.

Jamie Redknapp was a real pass master but he was never in the same bracket as Stevie Gerrard or Xabi Alonso.

Hyypia was top draw but had no pace. Carragher was top draw but couldnít pass to save his life (and had little pace). It was these Ďbutsí thatís stopped them from being in that elusive bracket. I could be wrong tho.