Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 207

Thread: Virgil Van Dijk

  1. #121  
    SuperSpeedy is offline Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,579
    Terry was a lot better than Carra, not a negative for Carra but just how good Terry was consistently over a number of years.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #122  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    29,519
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSpeedy View Post
    Terry was a lot better than Carra, not a negative for Carra but just how good Terry was consistently over a number of years.
    I just don’t see that at all. I think plenty of people are not giving Carra enough credit. I get why people might say Terry had the edge over Carra, but to say Terry was a lot better just isn’t correct imo.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #123  
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    19,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    I just don’t see that at all. I think plenty of people are not giving Carra enough credit. I get why people might say Terry had the edge over Carra, but to say Terry was a lot better just isn’t correct imo.
    He just was. Better header, better tackler, better leader, better goal scorer. He was also quicker.

    Without trying to disparage our legends Terry was Chelsea's Gerrard he could influence games from CB. Carra could never do that.

    Horrible guy though.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #124  
    SuperSpeedy is offline Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespian View Post
    He just was. Better header, better tackler, better leader, better goal scorer. He was also quicker.

    Without trying to disparage our legends Terry was Chelsea's Gerrard he could influence games from CB. Carra could never do that.

    Horrible guy though.
    Forgot about the goals. 40+ league goals for a CB is phenomenal.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #125  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    29,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespian View Post
    He just was. Better header, better tackler, better leader, better goal scorer. He was also quicker.

    Without trying to disparage our legends Terry was Chelsea's Gerrard he could influence games from the CB. Carra could never do that.
    As defenders, there’s not much between them. I disagree on the leadership thing as well. Goal scorer? I guess I can’t argue with that.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #126  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    29,519
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSpeedy View Post
    Forgot about the goals. 40+ league goals for a CB is phenomenal.
    I don’t really get the goal scorer thing. That’s just a bonus. That’s like saying Ian Hart was a better left back than Patrice Evra.
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #127  
    SuperSpeedy is offline Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    I don’t really get the goal scorer thing. That’s just a bonus. That’s like saying Ian Hart was a better left back than Patrice Evra.
    Okay
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #128  
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    29,519
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSpeedy View Post
    Okay
    Fair enough. I get Terry was a fantastic CB. I think Carra was as well

    Anyway...VVD...
    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #129  
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    19,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    I don’t really get the goal scorer thing. That’s just a bonus. That’s like saying Ian Hart was a better left back than Patrice Evra.
    It was the type of goals.

    He scored a number of important ones for Chelsea.
    When they were struggling he'd pop up with a header from a set piece
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #130  
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,166
    Rolls-Royce is a good description for me. So calm, so cool but an absolute beast underneath the surface. His timing to step forward to head the ball is excellent and his positional awareness is spot on as well. I feel more at ease when watching us so I hope itís not just psychological, heís a big lad as well so that always helps
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #131  
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    He really wasn’t. If Terry was better it would only be minimal.
    Terry ***** all over Carra and I love Carra.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #132  
    kloppogarcia is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    11,666
    Back to VVD. I really like the lad, can see him as captain in future.
    Last edited by kloppogarcia; 13-2-18 at 23:16.
    Sangria FTW.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #133  
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer-LFC View Post
    We definitely need another CB.


    Matip started off well here but has been very poor for quite a while now.

    Lovren has used up his chances.

    Gomez? Maybe. But think next year might be too early to he a first choice LFC CB.

    We won't sign a DM or a forward player.
    Matip is class. His ball to Salah, and the one two with Firmino is Kloppís LFC right there.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #134  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    24,700
    As much as I hate Celtic players bettering themselves in England , Forster , Wanyama and VVD were missed by us . Tierney is next , heís miles better than the improving Robertson and the best British player developing in that position since Bale . Heís dripping of world class potential and too good for the Scottish league . Can play anywhere in defence / midfield . Liverpool must sign this lad
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #135  
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    27,836
    Quote Originally Posted by redhoops View Post
    As much as I hate Celtic players bettering themselves in England , Forster , Wanyama and VVD were missed by us . Tierney is next , he’s miles better than the improving Robertson and the best British player developing in that position since Bale . He’s dripping of world class potential and too good for the Scottish league . Can play anywhere in defence / midfield . Liverpool must sign this lad
    I like him a lot.

    I'm definitely up for us signing him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #136  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    24,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    I like him a lot.

    I'm definitely up for us signing him.
    He’s the most exciting young player I’ve seen up here since McStay and Nicholas . He’s going all the way, see him playing in Italy or Germany if he chooses , would love him here .
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #137  
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,632
    Quote Originally Posted by aGothAndaJock View Post
    Matip is class. His ball to Salah, and the one two with Firmino is Klopp’s LFC right there.
    Unfortunately that moment where he inexplicably chose to let the ball bounce and was bailed out by the flag is also Klopps LFC.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #138  
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer-LFC View Post
    Unfortunately that moment where he inexplicably chose to let the ball bounce and was bailed out by the flag is also Klopps LFC.
    Iím loving every second of it. Anyone on here who isnít is a fool.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #139  
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    622
    Carra needed a lot of time and space to shift the ball. Apart from that he was proper. Imagine if we had him and Hyypia at their peak in defence now?!

    VVD is a star. Heís our Pogba. Instantly heís the main man and leader in the dressing room.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #140  
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,930
    Quote Originally Posted by aGothAndaJock View Post
    Carra needed a lot of time and space to shift the ball. Apart from that he was proper. Imagine if we had him and Hyypia at their peak in defence now?!

    VVD is a star. Heís our Pogba. Instantly heís the main man and leader in the dressing room.
    but virgil is good?
    Eagle Face Moron
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #141  
    lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    72,812
    Quote Originally Posted by aGothAndaJock View Post
    Carra needed a lot of time and space to shift the ball. Apart from that he was proper. Imagine if we had him and Hyypia at their peak in defence now?!

    VVD is a star. He’s our Pogba. Instantly he’s the main man and leader in the dressing room.
    i flippin well hope not
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #142  
    kas74 is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    39,359
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyMc9 View Post
    but virgil is good?
    And taller,better value pound for pound.
    Last edited by kas74; 14-2-18 at 10:32.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #143  
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    395
    I actually wanted him at LFC when I saw him at Celtic. Was gobsmacked and frustrated that we didn't go in for him.

    He did what he had to do... what you'd expect any good CB to do.
    We just haven't been used to seeing a top quality CB since the days of Carragher and Hyppia.

    A stroll against a less than formidable Southampton side is not the game to judge VVD.

    There will be stiffer tests.

    Take the Tottenham game. After having an excellent game, he sees Lamela too late resulting in him taking the player out. That's where he needed to let Lamela have the ball and just usher him out.
    In short, he did a Lovren.

    Maybe, I'm being harsh. Hopefully, that was a one-off. We'll see.

    But, the signs are promising.
    Last edited by OnlyRedWillDo; 14-2-18 at 11:49.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #144  
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,930
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyRedWillDo View Post
    I actually wanted him at LFC when I saw him at Celtic. Was gobsmacked and frustrated that we didn't go in for him.

    He did what he had to do... what you'd expect any good CB to do.
    We just haven't been used to seeing a top quality CB since the days of Carragher and Hyppia.

    A stroll against a less than formidable Southampton side is not the game to judge VVD.

    There will be stiffer tests.

    Take the Tottenham game. After having an excellent game, he panics and takes Lamela out. That's where he needed to be composed, let Lamela have the ball and just usher him out.
    In short, he did a Lovren.


    Maybe, I'm being harsh. Hopefully, that was a one-off. We'll see.

    But, the signs are promising.
    i completely disagree with that and here's why, the way you are suggesting that he seen lamela before hand ( who is offside btw), he does realise but its to late, its hardly panicking, he was juts unfortunate, sometimes things happen in football where its juts no ones fault , it happens move on, no need to cast blame for every negative moment on a football park.
    Eagle Face Moron
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #145  
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    395
    I know I'm being harsh; but, if Lamela wasn't there, it would probably have been a wild slash at the ball which could have gone anywhere. He did the same thing in the Swansea game and it led to the corner from which they scored. In the Tottenham game we had been doing hurried clearances for a while in the game which is always risky. Lovren did it for the first penalty. It's the small details that are killing us these days.
    I just hope we haven't got another Lovren who on his day looks like a world beater; but, is capable of terrible lapses. We would be back to square one!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #146  
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,930
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyRedWillDo View Post
    I know I'm being harsh; but, if Lamela wasn't there, it would probably have been a wild slash at the ball which could have gone anywhere. He did the same thing in the Swansea game and it led to the corner from which they scored. In the Tottenham game we had been doing hurried clearances for a while in the game which is always risky. Lovren did it for the first penalty. It's the small details that are killing us these days.
    I just hope we haven't got another Lovren who on his day looks like a world beater; but, is capable of terrible lapses. We would be back to square one!
    i think you are worrying too much and look into too many things
    Eagle Face Moron
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #147  
    TheKnucklesOfAgger is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,218
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyRedWillDo View Post
    I know I'm being harsh; but, if Lamela wasn't there, it would probably have been a wild slash at the ball which could have gone anywhere. He did the same thing in the Swansea game and it led to the corner from which they scored. In the Tottenham game we had been doing hurried clearances for a while in the game which is always risky. Lovren did it for the first penalty. It's the small details that are killing us these days.
    I just hope we haven't got another Lovren who on his day looks like a world beater; but, is capable of terrible lapses. We would be back to square one!
    In what *********** universe has Lovren ever looked like a world beater
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #148  
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKnucklesOfAgger View Post
    In what *********** universe has Lovren ever looked like a world beater
    okay. you got me!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #149  
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyMc9 View Post
    i think you are worrying too much and look into too many things
    Maybe, I should have been a manager!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #150  
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,930
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyRedWillDo View Post
    Maybe, I should have been a manager!
    you'd probably have died by now with the stress your putting yourself under
    Eagle Face Moron
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •