Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Virgil Van Dijk

Rolls.

Royce.

Just the perfect term for this man. Don't see another centre back in world football make it look as easy as this man does. Just on another level.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by -Bodie- View Post
    Rolls.

Royce.

Just the perfect term for this man. Don't see another centre back in world football make it look as easy as this man does. Just on another level.
    A united fan after one game texted me and said 75 million to be more ****. I said 105 mill for Bailly, linderof, rojo, blind and you still play Jones. And they have a good defence

What we are seeing is a problem since Sami we've not replaced and now we have. He is captain and coolness personified

Quote Originally Posted by Eggz View Post
    A united fan after one game texted me and said 75 million to be more ****. I said 105 mill for Bailly, linderof, rojo, blind and you still play Jones. And they have a good defence

What we are seeing is a problem since Sami we've not replaced and now we have. He is captain and coolness personified
    He really is.

World class in every sense of the word. Makes everyone around him better an all. What a man.

Quote Originally Posted by -Bodie- View Post
    He really is.

World class in every sense of the word. Makes everyone around him better an all. What a man.
    It also says. Break transfer record with Mane then salah then Van Dyke. We spent 28 mill on Firmino. These players have an immediate effect and push the team on.

Hopefully the days of squad filling are gone.

Like many others I could not understand why Klopp did not move on from VVD, but even in his half-a-dozen performances I'm now glad he didn't.

The guy has got everything in his locker to transform this backline.

grevsmoker is online now Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe-El View Post
    Ok. All I ever said was the game has changed, its faster / harder. What point were you making?
    The game is significantly faster and has changed to the point of it being almost a different sport compared to 30 years ago. That much is true. The point I am making is if players of the past played today they would also have all the benefits of the modern game. Nutrition, training methods, proffesionalism etc. If you're not granting them that it's apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBarnes79 View Post
    Like many others I could not understand why Klopp did not move on from VVD, but even in his half-a-dozen performances I'm now glad he didn't.

I don't think we'll see him at his consistentl best until next season. But having said that, he's already transformed it.

Quote Originally Posted by grevsmoker View Post
    The game is significantly faster and has changed to the point of it being almost a different sport compared to 30 years ago. That much is true. The point I am making is if players of the past played today they would also have all the benefits of the modern game. Nutrition, training methods, proffesionalism etc. If you're not granting them that it's apples and oranges.
    Apples and oranges... look this whole thing started because I was talking about Hyypia. The game was getting faster around him and as a consequence a great defender like him looked really slow. If hed have played 10 years earlier he would have been one of the greatest of all time. He was about when the likes of Sol Campbell and Japp Stam were demonstrating what a defender could actually be. The game was literally changing around him. And yes he did benefit from modern day nutrition, training methods, proffesionalism etc.

Rio Ferdinand was a colossus at Leeds, his positional play wasnt alway the best but his pace was ferocious and his presence, he was the Predator... it was little wonder when Manure broke a record to sign him. The whole apples and oranges... well, I think people are so hell bent on trying to prove one another wrong that the whole conversation has gotten twisted.

Bottom line, I think VVD looks amazing and for the first time in our EPL history we might possibly have the most outstanding CB in the league. IMHO if Carragher could pass a ball (instead of Hail Mary hoof and banshee scream) and had a touch more pace hed have been as good as Terry. If Hyypia had more pace hed have been as good as anyone.

spider-neil is online now Academy prospect
    Need a brand new partner. I don't think Matip and Lovren are good enough. I Matip is good enough to be a squad player. Loven, I would move on all together.

Absolutely loved Van Dijk apologizing to Karius when he headed a ball Karius shouted he's coming for. Van Dijk using moments like this to make everyone around him feel good. Few minutes earlier Van Dijk made a monstrous block and Karius was congratulating him with hugs. As individuals we might still lack quality at CB and GK, but you can sense they actually work as a unit now. We are far form perfect, but I see a lot of assurance there. Everyone knows his job. And calamity merchants like Mignolet and Moreno are far away from the starting 11.

two points:

A) its like he is playing fifa at times at the back with his movements and talking. he literally points and shouts at all the backs and midfielders and tells them where to pass, they oblige too! its fantastic to watch.

B) lovren has improved even more since his addition. Today proved that lovren deserves to be next to VVD and matip is a far way behind.

Quote Originally Posted by grevsmoker View Post
    I don't think we'll see him at his consistentl best until next season. But having said that, he's already transformed it.
    Yeah, I agree with this.

It is interesting with Klopp and this rotation between Matip and Lovren to partner VVD. I have to say Lovren has been the more impressive of the two, but...

Matip is suitable for sides who play a low block, as he is good on the ball, but Lovren is the better defender overall. If Klopp did go for a CB, I would love Alderweirweld; could we exploit his contract situation there?

Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    Need a brand new partner. I don't think Matip and Lovren are good enough. I Matip is good enough to be a squad player. Loven, I would move on all together.

Lovren now has the right guy next to him and boy you should open your eyes and stop your incessant jibes at Lovren.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-El View Post
    Apples and oranges... look this whole thing started because I was talking about Hyypia. The game was getting faster around him and as a consequence a great defender like him looked really slow. If he’d have played 10 years earlier he would have been one of the greatest of all time. He was about when the likes of Sol Campbell and Japp Stam were demonstrating what a defender could actually be. The game was literally changing around him. And yes he did benefit from modern day nutrition, training methods, proffesionalism etc.

Rio Ferdinand was a colossus at Leeds, his positional play wasn’t alway the best but his pace was ferocious and his presence, he was the Predator... it was little wonder when Manure broke a record to sign him. The whole apples and oranges... well, I think people are so hell bent on trying to prove one another wrong that the whole conversation has gotten twisted.

Bottom line, I think VVD looks amazing and for the first time in our EPL history we might possibly have the most outstanding CB in the league. IMHO if Carragher could pass a ball (instead of Hail Mary hoof and banshee scream) and had a touch more pace he’d have been as good as Terry. If Hyypia had more pace he’d have been as good as anyone.
    I disagree with your whole view on Hyypia. And I completely agree about VVD

Gazza74 is online now LFC Hall of Fame Resident
    Virgil has started to look awesome in the last 2 games, commanding, dominant, unphased, strong, vocal, and cool and calm in everything he is doing. I like how he gets in the ear of our other players and doesn't let them off with anything, we need leadership and he's giving us that.

The last world class defender we had was big Sami, a true prem great, and we've never replaced him, finally it looks like we have and big Virg could be the start of getting players in who add solidity and leadership to our awesome attack this season and next season and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBarnes79 View Post

There's a lesson in this JB79...

He could have moved on from VVD but didn't, he could have moved on from Keita, but didn't...

Hopefully whoever Klopp really wanted to get in January but couldn't for whatever reason fits the same bill...

Immense player and he's settling in nicely.

But wanting perfection from Liverpool, including all of our players, I was shouting at him to close the Porto player down that got that shot off just before HT, I thought VVD could have been a little quicker and more physical in that instance.

Also, in second half a Porto player got by him quite easily but Karius came out and closed him down or blocked the shot, not sure which.

Anyway, I'm just being picky!

He's so calm on the ball and his positioning is excellent. He moved to cut off dangerous balls many times yesterday and always was alert for the run in behind by the oppositions forwards.

He's frighteningly good for his age, wait till he has even more experience!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eggz View Post

I've had this with United fans too. When I tell them they've faced more on target shots than the bottom of the league WBA, they keep quiet. The reason for their defensive record is De Gea, not their CBs. And he doesn't want to sign a new deal. So celebrate while you can, lads. It won't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by tonylet View Post
    I've had this with United fans too. When I tell them they've faced more on target shots than the bottom of the league WBA, they keep quiet. The reason for their defensive record is De Gea, not their CBs. And he doesn't want to sign a new deal. So celebrate while you can, lads. It won't last long.
    The day that DDG leaves will be a great day for us.

He's an amazing GK, saving them over and over again.

Brings back memories of Schmeichel and that's as high a praise as I can give.

God I hated him.

I love him, looks phenomenal. As someone said above 'Rolls Royce'.

Virgil is making Lovern look like the player we bought.

Who would have thought that all he needed was a bit of direction.... I actually think a lot of this comes down to the fact that we could have and perhaps should have invested in a defensive coach, by the same token I also see how a defensive coach could undo the good attacking philosophy that Klopp has instilled in the entire team, so by all accounts Van Dijk may have been exactly what we needed all along maybe that's all Karius needed was faith in his defence.. the mind boggles at how complex this whole situation and it's debates can be.

Mr Klopp, if you believed this was what would pan out from bringing in VVD rather than a defensive coach then you truly are a genius.

Around 2 minutes in....

https://youtu.be/vEAc_JZbHbQ
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMrMustard View Post
    There's a lesson in this JB79...

He could have moved on from VVD but didn't, he could have moved on from Keita, but didn't...

Hopefully whoever Klopp really wanted to get in January but couldn't for whatever reason fits the same bill...
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by tonylet View Post
    So right.

Put DDG behind our CB's and our defensive record would be much, much, better.

Jones & Smalling are poor, Rojo is injury prone and Lindelof has had a bad start. Best CB they have is Bailley, but he's seems to have real issues with his knees that makes him quite unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
    I disagree with that , lovren has looked much better next to big V and Id keep him right where is is , klavan also doesnt really worry me too much and matip is ok imo, I wouldnt be against shipping one of the last two out to bring in another proper cb in case of injuries to Virgil but I think we have bigger problems to solve , particularly in midfield , Im also not sold on karius yet

Lovren stays for me

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-Simon-95 View Post
    I love him, looks phenomenal. As someone said above 'Rolls Royce'.

Agreed he has been everything and more... Some questioned his Southampton performances and asked was he actually good enough, but considering he was present in body only you can’t really slight him for his play there

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    He's just too big and too fast for everybody.