Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where did all the Jonny Evans heat come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2 View Post
    None from the top clubs got flipped as much as Carragher
    Vidic got abused by Torres regularly, and he was one of the worlds best at the time.

It happens.

As for Evans, he’s just a steady defender who is also predominantly left footed. Balance etc. I’d rather him than a lot of Premier League defenders to be honest.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoBaggio94 View Post
    Vidic got abused by Torres regularly, and he was one of the worlds best at the time.

It happens.

As for Evans, he’s just a steady defender who is also predominantly left footed. Balance etc. I’d rather him than a lot of Premier League defenders to be honest.
    That is also true

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoBaggio94 View Post

It happens.

Yeah. Also remember Ferdinand saying he got ripped apart by Brazilian Ronaldo. Not matter how good a defender you are, these special players can do that to these top defenders.
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    Yeah. Also remember Ferdinand saying he got ripped apart by Brazilian Ronaldo. Not matter how good a defender you are, these special players can do that to these top defenders.
    That is not the reason I think Carra wasn't top class, he was good partner to have if you covered up his deficiencies

I said this on the match thread yesterday for Chelsea game, he's bang average and his team is well adrift. It's a weird bandwagon that everyone has jumped on, you couldn't turn on Sky Sports or listen to a podcast in January without hearing how great Evans was.

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-Simon-95 View Post
    I said this on the match thread yesterday for Chelsea game, he's bang average and his team is well adrift. It's a weird bandwagon that everyone has jumped on, you couldn't turn on Sky Sports or listen to a podcast in January without hearing how great Evans was.
    Not shocking... People think our bang average boys are great... Typical overrating of British/Irish players

It’s just nostalgia and bandwagoning.

Not many of Fergies ‘darlings’ still playing in the PL outside of UTD.

Someone mentions him - the media start to remember him - it then becomes fashionable to sing his praises.

Mangers who are then asked about him are then obliged to sing his praises also whilst secretly thinking he is too old and a neverwas - hence the ‘too expensive’ comments so as not to embarrass the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Is it though just hype and stories as opposed to real heat?

I mean he was supposed to be off to City or Arsenal for big money but did either team end up bidding for him and if they did, more than once?

The talk was all odd, perhaps highlights the shortage of centre backs in football generally, but in reality it seemed nobody really wanted him that badly at all.

It would have been mad when you consider Alderweireld has a release fee of just 25 million!
    Does Alderweireld really have a £25m release clause?

Quote Originally Posted by hj77 View Post
    Not at the moment. One year left in the summer, but Spurs have an option for another. If they use that option, the release clause comes in to effect.

Quote Originally Posted by hj77 View Post
    Yup, couple of little reports recently, Guardian Football Weekly & Telegraph I think.

They'll be wanting to sort that soon or City will come in I bet

We should snap Evans up before Real come calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    We should snap Evans up before Real come calling.
    If Southampton buy him then we act

Quote Originally Posted by redhoops View Post
    If Southampton buy him then we act
    I wish we'd sent some scouts to watch him before he was signed by West Brom.

Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    I wish we'd sent some scouts to watch him before he was signed by West Brom.
    And they beat us to Jay Rodriguez. Unless Klopp sent Danny there to turn his head ?

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2 View Post
    He was decent, Henry used to turn him in and out
    yeah, because Henry himself was such a crap player...

Snippes is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawleyRed View Post
    The concoction of 'Used to play for United/Ferguson liked him/Leader of decent West Brom defence under Pulis/Leader of decent Northern Ireland defence at Euros and in WCQ/Homegrown quota' has just all come together, and he probably has a proactive agent as well.

It ignores the fact that week in week out these days, he's largely ineffective in stopping West Brom from conceding goals and is now the leader of a team who are getting cut adrift at the bottom in a league where there's 14 quite poor teams.
    United hasn’t had a decent CB since Rio/Vidic so not sure why being an ex Manx even matters anymore. Up until their game against Spurs, people were starting to bigup Phil Jones again when he’s absolute dog crap, just like Smalling.

Jose is at least supposed to know defending...why he spent so much on a CB this summer then persists with these 2 is just bewildering.

I Think there’s a notion that defenders who are busy a lot because they play for crap teams means they are good. Kinda like keepers who fave a lot of shots but can’t hack it for top teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    I must be missing something surely. All I ever read is how this or that major club wants, but cannot afford, Jonny Evans. Why in God's name is his stock so high? He's medicore, 30 years old and plays for WBA. And he flat out wasn't good enough for Man Utd.
    Ex manc that is still highly rated by Fergie.

The only reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Snippes View Post
    United hasn’t had a decent CB since Rio/Vidic so not sure why being an ex Manx even matters anymore. Up until their game against Spurs, people were starting to bigup Phil Jones again when he’s absolute dog crap, just like Smalling.

Jose is at least supposed to know defending...why he spent so much on a CB this summer then persists with these 2 is just bewildering.

I Think there’s a notion that defenders who are busy a lot because they play for crap teams means they are good. Kinda like keepers who fave a lot of shots but can’t hack it for top teams.
    United's CB's can't be that bad, I know De Gea has a big part in it but they've the best defensive record in the League.

Quote Originally Posted by -Monk- View Post
    Ex manc that is still highly rated by Fergie.

The only reason.
    And the fact he's been good for the previous two seasons at West Brom (not so much this), and at international level.

Quote Originally Posted by gedzredz View Post
    United's CB's can't be that bad, I know De Gea has a big part in it but they've the best defensive record in the League.
    It's mostly due to de Gea. According to expected goals, he's conceded something like 13 goals less than he should have.

BearWithMe is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer-LFC View Post
    I find it remarkable how you have somehow found a way to use a Jonny Evans discussion to have a dig at one of our best ever defenders.
    Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    Most know that, Bear will argue till the cows come home with regards to Carragher

One of the very best during his playing career in his peak years, no doubt
    Quote Originally Posted by AngriestRed View Post
    Poor mans Carragher? Carra was legendary and Evans isn’t even fit to lace his boots... Maybe you need to go back and watch some Carra tape... He was absolutely one of the best
    It wasn't a dig? Carr was a great defender. Im saying Evans is in the Carra mould but not as good as Carra. Carra wasn't the strongest, or best in the air, or best with the ball at his feet just like Evans. But he was very good at reading the game, tackling, blocking and putting his body on the line, just like Carra. Carr was no doubt one of our greatest defenders but he was never 'world class' he wasn't as good as Adams, Terry, Rio or Campbell was he.

MoMoMoMoMoMoMo is online now Academy prospect
    Some heat on him now.

Taxi for Jonny.

Euro-77-78-81-84-05 is online now Ask him if the match is on TV
    If it was a bus he nicked, Mourinho would be preparing a £100 million bid.
    YNWA

Gazza74 is online now LFC Hall of Fame Resident
    He'd have done well at Arsenal, he and Iwobi would be best mates.