Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where did all the Jonny Evans heat come from?

1. #1 Default Where did all the Jonny Evans heat come from? 
    Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    I must be missing something surely. All I ever read is how this or that major club wants, but cannot afford, Jonny Evans. Why in God's name is his stock so high? He's medicore, 30 years old and plays for WBA. And he flat out wasn't good enough for Man Utd.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Itís slightly baffling. After getting linked to Arsenal a few windows ago he then became flavour of the month for every team who needed a centre back, somehow even City were reportedly (interested). All I can think is that some teams wanted an experienced head that would fill the home grown quota. That the only rational I can think of, either that or lazy journalism

If you wanted a centre half even from West Brom alone I would rather have Hegazi and to some extent Dawson over Evans..... and thatís just players at the same club.

He's like the ugly guy that somehow still gets laid. He's garbage, but you're right you always see links about him to clubs like City even. Mindboggling.

Fowi is online now Hall of Fame Resident and Top Poster Who Shook The Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by tnoony View Post
    It’s slightly baffling. After getting linked to Arsenal a few windows ago he then became flavour of the month for every team who needed a centre back, somehow even City were reportedly (interested). All I can think is that some teams wanted an experienced head that would fill the home grown quota. That the only rational I can think of, either that or lazy journalism

If you wanted a centre half even from West Brom alone I would rather have Hegazi and to some extent Dawson over Evans..... and that’s just players at the same club.
    City were all over him for £25-30mil. A week ago we heard Wenger say he was too expensive for them. I mean, what the hell is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Fowi View Post
    City were all over him for £25-30mil. A week ago we heard Wenger say he was too expensive for them. I mean, what the hell is going on?
    You have to think if a top team really wanted him they would have got him.

Quite liked what city did. Teased their fans thinking they were going for Evans then boom 63m on Laporte. I have no idea what Arsenal were thinking though.

It's bewildering, that's for sure.

He was extremely average at Utd (which is why he was moved on) and West Brom aren't exactly a team which is considered solid at the back.

I could see Wenger buying him, but not Pep.

I think this is all a major bluff from Pep, who has realised that anything he says he wants becomes an incredibly desirable commodity. Allowing him to sign Laporte unchallenged.

Quote Originally Posted by Megali-Idea View Post
    He's like the ugly guy that somehow still gets laid. He's garbage, but you're right you always see links about him to clubs like City even. Mindboggling.
    Home grown rule

There’s no other explanation

CrawleyRed is offline The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    The concoction of 'Used to play for United/Ferguson liked him/Leader of decent West Brom defence under Pulis/Leader of decent Northern Ireland defence at Euros and in WCQ/Homegrown quota' has just all come together, and he probably has a proactive agent as well.

It ignores the fact that week in week out these days, he's largely ineffective in stopping West Brom from conceding goals and is now the leader of a team who are getting cut adrift at the bottom in a league where there's 14 quite poor teams.

I must be missing something surely. All I ever read is how this or that major club wants, but cannot afford, Jonny Evans. Why in God's name is his stock so high? He's medicore, 30 years old and plays for WBA. And he flat out wasn't good enough for Man Utd.
    Yes, i don't get it either, he had a season or two at UTD, must have been 8-9 years ago when he looked okay for them, although it was all overhyped by the English media. He has found his level at West Brom and I am not sure why that would need to change. His agent must be great though.

Mersey Dudek is online now Academy prospect
    It's strange.

Maybe because he's experienced and been there at the highest level with the scum.

Plus he has led his country in some very good defensive performances.

But yeah, he's more of a stop gap than an out and out signing big clubs should be looking to do.

Quote Originally Posted by wavdeep View Post
    I think this is all a major bluff from Pep, who has realised that anything he says he wants becomes an incredibly desirable commodity. Allowing him to sign Laporte unchallenged.
    Laporte had a pretty well known buyout clause so there is nothing to challenge there, the first one paying that up would have got him.

It’s easy to stand out in a bad team. But you are right. Up there with how Carlton Palmer got selected for England.

aylesbyred is offline Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Megali-Idea View Post
    53757 - declared

He's okay but yeah, it's weird how every big club is chasing him. Surely someone like a Lascelles would be a better option if a homegrown player is needed?

he isnít as bad as you guys make out on here..... would certainly improve arsenalís defence IMO.

depends what you are after really. evans would give you a 7/10 performance every game but love em would
    give you an 8 or 9/10 performance during a game and suddenly decide to forgot football in the same game. each to their own

CrawleyRed is offline The Jolly Green Giant's big brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_Pat View Post
    he isn’t as bad as you guys make out on here..... would certainly improve arsenal’s defence IMO.

depends what you are after really. evans would give you a 7/10 performance every game but love em would
    give you an 8 or 9/10 performance during a game and suddenly decide to forgot football in the same game. each to their own
    He's not as good as either Mustafi or Koscielny, so I disagree.

I've seen Evans have some dreadful games for West Brom this season. He certainly wasn't 7/10 last night.

Itís unreal, even we were getting linked to the lad. Some dumb pundits were banging on about how LFC signing Evans is a no brainer... and they were right, it would literally take someone at LFC with no brains to sign Evans.

Is it though just hype and stories as opposed to real heat?

I mean he was supposed to be off to City or Arsenal for big money but did either team end up bidding for him and if they did, more than once?

The talk was all odd, perhaps highlights the shortage of centre backs in football generally, but in reality it seemed nobody really wanted him that badly at all.

It would have been mad when you consider Alderweireld has a release fee of just 25 million!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_Pat View Post
    he isn’t as bad as you guys make out on here..... would certainly improve arsenal’s defence IMO.

Agreed.

There's a shortage of really good CBs out there and Evans has been there and done it with United and has been brilliant for NI over the past couple of years so wouldn't be a bad signing if the price was right.

BearWithMe is offline First team regular
    Evans is a poor mans Carragher, and he wasn't the best! So many CB better than him in the prem for the likes of Chelsea et al to go for. Mawson and Mee both far better.

Quote Originally Posted by BearWithMe View Post
    Evans is a poor mans Carragher, and he wasn't the best! So many CB better than him in the prem for the likes of Chelsea et al to go for. Mawson and Mee both far better.
    Carra was a top defender. Absolutely top class.
    YNWA

I find it remarkable how you have somehow found a way to use a Jonny Evans discussion to have a dig at one of our best ever defenders.

Stupid homegrown rule strikes again... Only thing I can think of

Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    Most know that, Bear will argue till the cows come home with regards to Carragher

One of the very best during his playing career in his peak years, no doubt

Poor mans Carragher? Carra was legendary and Evans isn’t even fit to lace his boots... Maybe you need to go back and watch some Carra tape... He was absolutely one of the best

Quote Originally Posted by Gegenpressing View Post
    He was decent, Henry used to turn him in and out

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2 View Post
    He was decent, Henry used to turn him in and out
    If we were to make of list of defenders Henry never destroyed then it would be very small, if even existent.

Daft comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer-LFC View Post
    If we were to make of list of defenders Henry never destroyed then it would be very small, if even existent.

Daft comment.
    None from the top clubs got flipped as much as Carragher

He's a good defender whose been very solid for WBA (I know people who watch them 20+ games a season said he's possibly their best ever) and has top level experience.

In a market of high risk high cost potential superstars he's a relatively cheap steady performer.