Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: Alternative table if a score draw = 2 points

1. #1 Default Alternative table if a score draw = 2 points 
    I have reshuffled the league table giving 2 points for a score draw and it's pretty interesting reading, to me anyway. As this suggestion has been mooted several times down the years to try and promote the notion that it will encourage teams to attack.

Table if 2 points awarded after this weekends results, position, points and GD
    1. MCI 74 +59 no move - points gain 2
    2. LIV 61 +30 up 1 - points gain 7
    3. UTD 59 +32 down 1 - points gain 3
    4. TOT 58 +24 up 1 - points gain 6
    5. CHE 55 +30 down 1 - points gain 2
    6. ARS 49 +15 no move - points gain 4
    7. BUR 42 -3 no move - points gain 6
    8. LEI 41 -1 no move - points gain 6
    9. EVE 39 -14 no move - points gain 5
    10. WHU 37 -12 up 2 - points gain 7
    11. BOU 36 -10 down 1 - points gain 5
    12. WAT 34 -10 down 1 - points gain 4
    13. NEW 34 -11 no move - points gain 6
    14. SOU 34 -12 up 4 - points gain 8
    15. BRI 34 -14 down 1 - points gain 6
    16. CRY 33 -17 down 1 - points gain 6
    17. STO 31 -26 up 2 - points gain 6
    18. SWA 30 -17 down 2 - points gain 3
    19. HUD 30 -24 down 2 - points gain 3
    20. WBA 27 -19 no move - points gain 7
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Pride In Battle View Post
    I have reshuffled the league table giving 2 points for a score draw and it's pretty interesting reading, to me anyway. As this suggestion has been mooted several times down the years to try and promote the notion that it will encourage teams to attack.

Table if 2 points awarded after this weekends results, position, points and GD
    1. MCI 74 +59 no move - points gain 2
    2. LIV 61 +30 up 1 - points gain 7
    3. UTD 59 +32 down 1 - points gain 3
    4. TOT 58 +24 up 1 - points gain 6
    5. CHE 55 +30 down 1 - points gain 2
    6. ARS 49 +15 no move - points gain 4
    7. BUR 42 -3 no move - points gain 6
    8. LEI 41 -1 no move - points gain 6
    9. EVE 39 -14 no move - points gain 5
    10. WHU 37 -12 up 2 - points gain 7
    11. BOU 36 -10 down 1 - points gain 5
    12. WAT 34 -10 down 1 - points gain 4
    13. NEW 34 -11 no move - points gain 6
    14. SOU 34 -12 up 4 - points gain 8
    15. BRI 34 -14 down 1 - points gain 6
    16. CRY 33 -17 down 1 - points gain 6
    17. STO 31 -26 up 2 - points gain 6
    18. SWA 30 -17 down 2 - points gain 3
    19. HUD 30 -24 down 2 - points gain 3
    20. WBA 27 -19 no move - points gain 7
    Posted a link somewhere else a few weeks ago, they did a study and found the 2 to 3 point switch made little difference, might have said in one season the champions wouldn't have been champions and that may have been Blackburn's title season. Think it may have been in the park the bus thread, or whatever it was called.
    People will believe what they want to believe

Interesting table, nice one!

I like that itís not dramatically different too, but slightly rewards teams scoring goals than not. Itís surprising that Spurs would gain so much too, I wouldnít have expected that as solid as they tend to look.
    'Okey doke, we'll leave it there so'

Goes to show that Contes initial defensive football could cost a champions league place if this was the scoring mechanism. Also the relegation places swap around and WBA are much closer to avoiding the drop.

Goes to show that Contes initial defensive football could cost a champions league place if this was the scoring mechanism. Also the relegation places swap around and WBA are much closer to avoiding the drop.
    Yeah, good point. It’s nice to see Southampton rewarded for how they go about doing things too. Tbh, I’d never thought of looking at that alternate table, it really is cool. Makes you wonder, seeing as tv is so important to decision making, if they consider it. And not just the pl, but on a worldwide scale. It’s hard to think of the downsides off the top of my head, though no doubt there are some.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHed2 View Post
    Yeah, good point. Itís nice to see Southampton rewarded for how they go about doing things too. Tbh, Iíd never thought of looking at that alternate table, it really is cool. Makes you wonder, seeing as tv is so important to decision making, if they consider it. And not just the pl, but on a worldwide scale. Itís hard to think of the downsides off the top of my head, though no doubt there are some.
    I'd not be in favour.

I think a win and a goalless draw should be better than two score draws. And 2 wins and a loss should be better rewarded than 3 score draws.

The flipside of Southampton in this instance - they've only won 5 games and yet they're moved well above teams that have won 7. Shouldn't the team that wins more games, but also loses more, be rewarded for that approach?

Quote Originally Posted by ***Stuzzza*** View Post
    I'd not be in favour.

I think a win and a goalless draw should be better than two score draws. And 2 wins and a loss should be better rewarded than 3 score draws.

The flipside of Southampton in this instance - they've only won 5 games and yet they're moved well above teams that have won 7. Shouldn't the team that wins more games, but also loses more, be rewarded for that approach?
    Nice one, they are some serious downsides for sure. Winning more should always be rewarded.

steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    I'd not be in favour.

4 points for a win would solve that issue I guess? Not that I'd be in favour of any of this actually being implemented either.

Some good points raised about winning being rewarded more. I think the 2 point idea was brought about for the fans who want to see goals, therefore the entertainment factor is increased by rewarding teams who don't have the park the bus mentality.

Some good points raised about winning being rewarded more. I think the 2 point idea was brought about for the fans who want to see goals, therefore the entertainment factor is increased by rewarding teams who don't have the park the bus mentality.
    I don't get the problem personally.

If some teams feel their best chances of getting a result in certain games is to play with a lot of men behind the ball and hope to create chances on the counter and from set pieces - that's a perfectly legitimate tactic imo. Defend well, and make your opponent have to attack well to get anything from you. There are two sides to the game, it's not all about attacking.

I wouldn't want to watch my team playing like that, and certainly not often, but I don't really have an issue with opponents choosing to.

If the fans of those teams that do play like that regularly are not happy with the entertainment provided by their team, it's on them to let their displeasure be known.
    Last edited by ***Stuzzza***; 14-2-18 at 11:40.

MacFoley'1975 is online now First team regular
    Interesting.
    Last edited by MacFoley'1975; 14-2-18 at 12:14.
    The Normal One (Emlyn is in the house) - Est 1975

TattooedByAgger is online now Academy prospect
    I'd not be in favour.

Great way to put it in perspective.