Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 149 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Confidence

Socratease is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    Liverpool 2 - 1 Manchester United

It is marvellous what a bit of confidence and belief can do, isn' it?!

Well done to the tricky Reds!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Good thing about CONFIDENCE is it can grow..... great result today.
    GO YOU REDS.

YNWA

@Greenscouse!

YNWA

ForkHandles is offline Boot Room insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Socratease View Post
    @Greenscouse!

YNWA
    back to normal

@ForkHandles (I have always loved that sketch!) have you ever heard Sir Marcus Browning MP:

... Let's knuckle down shall we.
    Purpose is what we need.
    We must not be purposeless.
    We must not exhibit purposelessness.
    We must be purposelessnessless.

To the point, I think that today's events are a precursor of what is to come, as confidence is always the mitigating factor within any competition/contest - or would someone wish to contest this assertion?

ceredred is offline Welsh dolphin-whisperer
    @ForkHandles (I have always loved that sketch!) have you ever heard Sir Marcus Browning MP:

To the point, I think that today's events are a precursor of what is to come, as confidence is always the mitigating factor within any competition/contest - or would someone wish to contest this assertion?

Well I have heard that somethings arrive in three's,or you can grab a brace,but I have never seen the bad before the good so I believe the good will always follow the bad,and we happen to be in good times at the moment.

Should we wait for the three to happen,or be greedy and grab the brace?

I'll stick with the good for now as it is confidence and it is keeping the bad at bay.
    Last edited by ceredred; 13-9-08 at 21:42. Reason: spelling,not drunk your honour honest.

Calm and confidence is restored.

In Rafa We Trust!!
    I Always Have!!
    Ynwa!!!

hello fellow confidantes.
    well i must say, that was sweet, i think the word i would be looking for is 'retribution'
    i got back from the match just a little over an hour ago, and boy am i one 'happy-chappy'.
    i went into the ground today about tweny minutes before kickoff and i noticed benayoun and aurelio where in the eleven warming up, i thought, rafa, you're being too cautious again, and 2 minutes in when they took the lead i thought we were gonna get hammered.
    but boy, what character the team showed, that one thing that we've all begged rafa for over the past few years, width, it was in abundance today with riera, aurelio and then babel, i know we scrapped and harried them, but we also played some nice football too, we should have won buy more, much more.
    i recorded it today on sky, even though i'm shattered now, i'm still gonna go and watch the game now on tv.
    that was a major psychological boost for the whole team, rafa got that particular monkey off his back, i am confident now that we can mount a serious challenge for the title this season, believe me i am not being blase with that statement

To all who are confident, The world is your oyester.

confident ?

ynwa

...that was a major psychological boost for the whole team, rafa got that particular monkey off his back, i am confident now that we can mount a serious challenge for the title this season, believe me i am not being blase with that statement
    NOW, that is confidence! Well said, Shafty!

Socratease.. I got confident after the Derby home game last year and got my heart broken in two with our starting 11 in the following game but I am trying to hold back on the same thing happening me again but I am gonna give it a try.

Lets hope we can stay ahead of the *****

Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by RafaOUT View Post
    Socratease.. I got confident after the Derby home game last year and got my heart broken in two with our starting 11 in the following game but I am trying to hold back on the same thing happening me again but I am gonna give it a try.

Fingers crossed.
    Didnt we get two draws from Arsenal following the derbys last year

Quote Originally Posted by cookpassbabtridge View Post
    Didnt we get two draws from Arsenal following the derbys last year
    Nope. Capital D for Derby.

Nope. Capital D for Derby.
    Oh right

Quote Originally Posted by cookpassbabtridge View Post
    Oh right

Fingers crossed.
    Is that because Torres didn't play against Derby? (depite coming back from an injury).

Just like yesterday, he wasn't risked. The only difference is we won yesterday, but not last season. Therefore people will praise Benitez for not risking Torres. But had we lost they would be criticising him for not taking a risk and playing him. He can't win.

We're top and have played some tough games. The next three games are all very much winnable and this should bring some momentum.

Good posts. Great result. Still don't think we're in top gear -though confident that we will be in the coming matches. Loved our pace, WIDTH and commitment. Our midfield had a stranglehold and we harried them into a load of mistakes. Liked the look of Riera a lot.
    So onto Marseille. Vive les rouges!

bilsland is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    Well I lost a lot of sleep yesterday. Woke up at 12.45 and thought, just kicking off, went back to sleep. woke up again at 2.45 and thought wonder how we've done. Spent the next hour tossing and turning and in the end had to get up to find out.Well there was no going back to bed for me!
    Fantastic result, took the game to them despite the horror of their early goal, Can't remember the last time we came back from going behind against them...was it when Molby scored those two goals?...anyway had sky+ the game and other half hadn't watched it and only knew that we had won so we watched enthralled.
    Like Lark, thought the new guy showed promise and Aurelio played well with him.
    Midfield was superb, The Mancs obviously had a brief to wind up Mascher judging by the number of times they clattered him , but he wasn't having any of it. Kuyt and Keane ran their legs off and Keane might have scored if Vidic hadn't blatantly brought him down(should have gone for that alone).

I went off to work last night, ecstatic but knackered, Just as well it turned into the night from hell and I didn't have time to think about how tired I was, I swear to god they were dragging kids in off the street , got no Time to eat, had half a glass of water to drink all night ,nobody had a break and I was an hour late going off-duty this morning!!..Hope for better tonight.

Well done Red Men...set up nicely now for Marseilles...

ONDEFENCE is online now First team regular
    Liverpool 2 - 1 Manchester United

It is marvellous what a bit of confidence and belief can do, isn' it?!

Well done to the tricky Reds!
    here , here

For this game we got the little piece of luck that was missing in most of our other recent encounters against Utd.It wasn't just about luck though, as we had a well balanced team who all worked hard for each other.There may be some truth in the conjecture that we have too much reliance on Torres and Gerrard as without them each and every other player knew they had to put in a committed performance in order to get a result.
    A good debut for Riera. Simple things done well but confident enough to try the clever things too. He linked up well with Aurelio, who had a very good game too and for the first time in a long time I was happy with the Left side of our game.
    The partnership of Alonso and Mascherano worked perfectly. Despite the opposition's plan to rile him Mascherano worked tirelessly and both players gave them no room to maneuver.
    Kuyt and Keane failed to get on the score sheet but were instrumental in getting us the chances we had and but for a terrible foul by Vidic you have to have expected Keane to have put away his chance.
    The tempo was high and I feel that this is the team and the attitude that Benitez has wanted since he arrived(with the addition of Torres and Gerrard of course).It has given me much confidence and belief that we can improve on our previous challenges against the top two teams.

Confidence and belief are two wonderful attributes to have and having watched the Redmen on Saturday it was obvious that the 11 men on the pitch had both attributes in abundance.

I said on here prior to the game that no matter which 11 Rafa sent out if they went for it they could do it,and especially in that second half they certainly went at the mancs.

I am certainly confident that the Reds will have got a big boost from that performance and i believe we have the squad to march on now with their heads held high.

Y.N.W.A.......

Stevie G's wonder goal aside, it was a horrible game to watch...

It was a game of two halves.
    Despite going a goal down I never felt we wouldn't score. Luckily didn't have long to wait to prove that point. A fabulous goal from our Captain Followed by a twice taken penalty, just to test the nerves after a clear foul on Babel in the box...see what happens Ryan when you take the player on instead of coming inside all the time ..
    The second half we ran out of steam. To be fair Marseilles have some very nippy players and they were on a mission of revenge but the exertions, both mental and physical, of taking on Man utd at the weekend plus returning to fitness of other players told the story of the second half.
    We missed Aurelio at LB, Carra was doing two jobs, his own and Dossena's, Lucas tried but was ineffective and Mascherano had too much to do and also ran out of steam.
    We didn't play our own game and it showed. Pepé was superb, but thats what he gets paid for, Riera continues to show more than a little promise
    Rotation or not...some people need resting for the Stoke Game Thats for sure.

However a Good result from what was always going to be a tricky fixture so I'm pleased enough and we will improve.

I shall be at the home game V Athletico Madrid so hope for normal service to be resumed!

What gives confidence? What produces or for that matter procures it?

Belief in one's ability, a confirmation of technical skill by one's peers, a recognition of one's contribution to the Team effort, a recognition that the team works well due to one's intelligent contribution.

Rafael Benitez is an astute technician, but he is also a good man-manager. He knows how to get the best out of his people. Through this he is achieving the prospect of an archetypal strategist, worthy of Augustus. Rafa is an archetypal doyen in the long term use of tactics in achieving the holistically required results of a long term strategy.

This is the confidence for the long term, as well as this newly commenced and immediate season. What do you think?

Are we in it for the long run?!,

Stands back on the use of English language (wow)

Stoke City next, confident?

As i havent posted within here yet i thaught i would give it a shot with my opinion.

Confidence is a funny thing, it comes in waves and can hand around like a hurricane swirl but when it dies down, the true ability or nature of the player/wave comes through and we will see what this team is truly cappable of.

Now in some ways we have, and still are we havent seen a balance of style of play like we did at the end of the season. Possibly the ManU game showed us a look at what this team can produce but it still isnt consistant enough.

Now when this team feels within itself together as a squad and can play at a good level consistantly all the way through the season something like the end of last season we will get the title, i feel we could be getting their.

Now Stoke.

Stoke is for me like ManU is a look into the belief, the hunger and the ability that this team has, people have been saying that this is around the time that we had the draw with portsmouth which in many eyes was a turning point for our season last year but in some ways we are in better possition.

We are showing confidence and fight as well as fitness, we have had a game on tuesday that in some ways represents what stoke can bring, high energy wanting to get the ball and putting us under pressure, just like then we will have to take our chances and build off them and hopefully maul them.

If not then take a 1-0 win, either way we will have to win and take advantage of what ManU and Chelsea will do to each other, at Aston Villa we saw the wrong reaction hopefully it will be different this time around.

Nice post domzalez and welcome to our merry band of men(and women).

Well from what Stevie G is saying in the papers today, the dressing room is full of confidence, so much so that even on legs that had run out of steam on Tuesday night the lads could keep going (with the help of great goal-keeping) and secure the win.We have enough in the team now that if we go behind we still believe we can win, so those two old friends that have been missing in action in the past are good and strong.

Stoke is indeed important. Apart from the fact that I'm going to the game and want to see a good show, it is vital that we take advantage of whatever the result is at Stamford Bridge.
    A draw would be good but failing that I feel I would prefer to be fighting it out with Chelsea at the end of the season than UTD.
    Stoke will be no pushover, they have a player that does throw-ins that are as good as corners and they will fight for a result. If we don't get on top of them from KO it will be very hard, but we have the players now to unlock defences in Keane, Riera and Torres, not to mention a player called Babel who if he is brought on as a substitute can wreak havoc to tired legs.
    I'm not into predictions...I always get them wrong and feel it is a bit like tempting fate, so all I will say is I'm confident we can win.

Who knows we might even see Alonso and Gerrard in midfield if Mascher needs a rest.....

Confidantes we won ugly against Marsielle even though it was obvious in the second half that some of the Reds were starting to tire after their heroics on Saturday.If you can win ugly in those circumstances that is the mark of a squad that "wants" to win.

Am i confident for our next match,you better belive it.

Y.N.W.A......

Hi there, if you are still around Bils please check you email...thanks..Enrico

Hi Enrico, got your message and have replied.