Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 149 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Confidence

1. #1 Confidence 
    Socratease is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    I remember, it wasn't that long ago, that when Houllier left I watched, with some trepidation, his fairwell conference. It was emotive, but dignified. I knew deep down, that the man who let the Reds out, could not get them back in. It was the one last gasp of the race!

The BIG question. Who is going to take on the mantle of THE Manager of Liverpool FC? We had O'Neill and Curbishley bandied around, amongst others. The vast majority of candidates debated and discussed on these boards where UK based. I watched with great interest these to-ings and fro-ings in the discussions with fascination.(It was a few of months of reading and watching before I made my first post as I ventured onto the internet for the first time in June 2004 last year. I still mess up with a lot of the Techy stuff! Heh,heh!)

I thought about, and I am sure many of us did, who can get us back on track to emulate or re-enact our glorious achievements and wipe the floor with (at that time) Old Toilet! Curious how things change, isn't it? A new challenger was rearing it's many tRoubled head. How do we challenge this?

It was becoming evident that to emulate or re-enact could be problematic as a fail safe strategy. History teaches us that previous exploits were dealt with in a certain way. History also teaches us that your potential adversary has also had access to the same stuff. Therein, lies the challenge.

So, evidently, the man we needed was a man who could think outside of the box. A man who could see all the details that make the tiniest differences, with the Focus on the field of contest, on the Pitch.

A man who knows what it takes to be challenged, a man who knows the potential thoughts, the potential tactics and the overall potential strategy of his adversary. With this one can strike back in many subtle ways.

What happens? WE GOT HIM!

Rafael Benitez.

The man, Rafael Benitez, is here at Liverpool FC for the Challenge! Not the paypacket, but to achieve! By example our players are seeing this, and some of them are having to re-assess what is important in life.

The passion of the heart, or the soliloquy of the mind?

Rafael Benitez has, despite a horrific casualty list to his squadron, adapted, without complaint, and achieved, with late recognition from the national press, a great deal with deprivation, as opposed to previously Maureen O and now Scolari having to deal with great largesse, from their do it or you are gone and we will buy somebody else culture of Roubles rule ok.

It makes you think doesn't it? Who has the best job in Football? I'd say Benitez!

Rafa knows what is needed to achieve. He gets closer every match as to what is needed on the field of contest. He isn't going to tell everyone.

We will see it on the Pitch soon enough!

Rafa Resolute.

It is good to see Rafael Benitez at the helm. He is definately exuding confidence, that is what we all want to see! The signings that Rafa has aquired are nothing to be sniffed at, though I am sure that many of our contesting opposition will.

So what is the future, what is to come? The possibilities are wide open to speculation.

The signings that we have achieved are encouraging. As Rafa alluded, these players will acclimatize sooner rather than later. He has picked them for their natural disposition and apptitude.

What we need to see is a Liverpool Team that soon gels on the pitch.

It is through confidence and belief, in releasing natural talent to enhance our Team on the field of competition, that Liverpool will advance - one game at a time.

Confidence is not wishful thinking, that is anticipation's job.

Confidence is the belief in one's capabilities.

Confidence is the belief in challenging all comers, with the belief to win!

It is as basic as that.

A lot of us studious followers need to look back to our younger days, and remember the initial 'angst'.

The next generation are discovering and learning anew, the history of this club is not exclusive but shared - as is the passion, from one generation to the next.

The search for knowledge about Liverpool FC, is here to be found.

The passion for LFC holds no bounds!

Confident?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

I wish you would be honest with yourself. 4 years of failure and you are trying to tell me you 100% believe in Rafa?

Sorry for being rude but wake up will ya.

4 years of failure?
    Last edited by cravenz; 21-5-12 at 18:04.

foreverred-1973 is online now 100% Concentrated
    Quote Originally Posted by RafaOUT View Post
    4 years of failure

bla bla bla

I wish you would be honest with yourself. 4 years of failure and you are trying to tell me you 100% believe in Rafa?

Thank you for the negative rep, RO, I hoped I could have expected better from you, young fella.

What gives confidence? What produces or for that matter procures it?

Belief in one's ability, a confirmation of technical skill by one's peers, a recognition of one's contribution to the Team effort, a recognition that the team works well due to one's intelligent contribution.

Rafael Benitez is an astute technician, but he is also a good man-manager. He knows how to get the best out of his people. Through this he is achieving the prospect of an archetypal strategist, worthy of Augustus. Rafa is an archetypal doyen in the long term use of tactics in achieving the holistically required results of a long term strategy.

This is the confidence for the long term, as well as this newly commenced and immediate season. What do you think?

Are we in it for the long run?!

Last edited by Socratease; 6-9-08 at 22:31. Reason: Spelling

Liverdinner is online now Posts With His Faace
    Quote Originally Posted by Socratease View Post
    What gives confidence? What produces r for that matter procures it?

Belief in one's ability, a confirmation of technical skill by one's peers, a recognition of one's contribution to the Team effort, a recognition that the team works well due to one's intelligent contribution.

Rafael Benitez is an astute technician, but he is also a good man-manager. He knows how to get the best out of his people. Through this he is achieving the prospect of an archetypal strategist, worthy of Augustus. Rafa is an archetypal doyen in the long term use of tactics in achieving the holistically required results of a long term strategy.

This is the confidence for the long term, as well as this newly commenced and immediate season. What do you think?

aka bump

i agree with your post rafa inspires confidence in some ways as carra said about istanbul but then again his lack of in your face arrogance/confidence that fergie and mourinho had doesnt inspire

oh well
    Last edited by Echos; 6-9-08 at 22:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Socratease View Post
    What gives confidence? What produces r for that matter procures it?

Socs therein lies the problem with some of our fans these days,i choose the word fans deliberately as supporter would be the wrong word to describe some of these guys on here.These fans have no patience and are part of the microwave generation who do not have the patience to prepare and cook a satisfying meal,they only ever want the chicken"ding" solution.

People like RafaOut are entitled to their opinions even if they are wrong,i however am "CONFIDENT" that Rafael Benitez is the man to get us that no.19.

Y.N.W.A........

It is good to see our confidence levels rising at last!

foreverred-1973 is online now 100% Concentrated
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave00 View Post
    Socs therein lies the problem with some of our fans these days,i choose the word fans deliberately as supporter would be the wrong word to describe some of these guys on here.These fans have no patience and are part of the microwave generation who do not have the patience to prepare and cook a satisfying meal,they only ever want the chicken"ding" solution.

People like RafaOut are entitled to their opinions even if they are wrong,i however am "CONFIDENT" that Rafael Benitez is the man to get us that no.19.

Y.N.W.A........

Spot on Dave00!!! I like the expression "microwave generation" they aren't aware for example that it took slurgie 7 seasons to win the league and 11 (!!!!) years to win the CL and they don't know how much patience you need to prepare and cook a satisfying meal for sure.

COME ON YOU REDS

bilsland is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Good to see this thread up and running again and despite the solitary blip I hope that it can continue to be a haven for footy talk, match discussion and a place where those of us who believe, can express our 'confidence' in our Team, our Club and our Manager in an environment where respect is the byword of the day.

I see Martin finally headed into the net from a corner last night!
    Hopefully once we learn to provide just the right kind of in swinging ball he will be doing the same for us!..Nice one Martin.
    Robbie Keane didn't score yesterday but was still influential, and I see that in certain elements of the press Rafa Benitez is being blamed for England's poor showing by allowing Gerrard to alleviate his pain at a time that suits Liverpool rather than England...well excuse me but I think we have sacrificed enough to the Club England as injuries to Barnes and Redknapp will attest., and after Gerrard was taken off last time after being the best player on the pitch, why should we bother.

Next we have Man Utd. Never an easy fixture and we have the prospect of both our best players out(even tho' I think at least one of them will play!). Due to it's early KO I shall miss this one as I'll be in bed but no doubt when I get up to the loo ...as I always do at some point... I'll be risking insomnia by sneaking a look at the PC ...Too early to predict teams but we have as good a chance as any with meeting them this early as although we are not yet in our stride, neither are they.

I will have confidence as always but no doubt the collywobbles will still be there.

Socs Hope the family are improving I know just how much it will be draining you. Lets hope the team can lift your spirits.

good post socs.
    rafa is not perfect, we know, villa were there for the taking last week, he was still too cautious, but, with the introduction of a wide player (albert riera) i'm sure from this moment on we will see liverpool stretch the play more, thus, giving keane and torres more space to play with, i shall be at anfield myself when we take on 'the evil spawn of satans seed', it's always a mental thing when we play that shower, on paper we are just as good as them, we've got to back our eleven on the pitch, give them the confidence to win, give them the belief, it starts with us, now.

Quote Originally Posted by bilsland View Post

I will have confidence as always but no doubt the collywobbles will still be there.

Socs Hope the family are improving I know just how much it will be draining you. Lets hope the team can lift your spirits.
    True words there. Well said.

I wrote this some time ago but my positivity and confidence towards the manager hasn't altered so I have no qualms about reproducing it for in here.

I really believe, given The pedigree in coaching terms, of our Manager, that we have the best Man for the job.
    His personal qualities are exceptional. He has class, humour, a certain humility that shines through despite an obvious belief in his ability to do the job.Importantly(for our Club)He has a respect for tradition but that is coupled with an innovative approach to coaching that has showed results when we expected none.

As for His tactical bravery, His knowledge of the game and his meticulous planning, we can see that the only element missing is His ability to match the top two in terms of hard cash(hardly his fault) and that can never be a stick to beat him with.In fact He may be the first Manager in some time that has an uncanny ability to just about balance the books.

I have heard some say that He is not the sort to put his arm around the players if needed, but I'm not entirely certain I agree with this. He has shown a depth of knowledge and sympathy when needed of players problems and when they are shown to be real He has responded with just the right depth of feeling. Certainly He doesn't suffer fools gladly and expects a degree of respect and commitment to the cause that he himself shows, but as we are dealing with grown Men and very well paid ones at that, then I agree with him on that one.

We all know what the state of play was when he arrived.Yes He took us to one of the greatest nights of our lives with a Team largely made up of players signed by his predecessor, but up until then we were a team going backwards and UEFA Cup standard.(Everton anyone). We had passengers in the squad who had been touted as ' the next best thing ' who were virtually unsellable and an ambition that meant no-one in the best teams in Europe, or beyond, would even think about coming here for.

Benitez has lifted our profile abroad,significantly. Our places in 2 European Finals plus the recent semi-final, have placed us once again to the fore-front of great European teams. There will always be those players like Eto'o, and half the Chelsea team who will be drawn to the bright lights of London in preference to our lovely City, but I would say to them that they would not be the Players to fit in with our philosophy in that case and would not be right for us. We have gone back to the old system where not only the skills are important but the players mentality has to be too.

We all know about the terrible circumstances going on behind the scenes at this Club. They have touched on farce at times and dragged this Club through the mire of back-page headlines that we could well do without. Throughout it all Rafa has been faultless . He could so easily have walked and not be blamed if he had. I think we have to say Thank God he didn't.
    We now can only hope He has sensible and sufficient financial backing this summer to at least make a fist of things.
    Even with our on-going struggles He has brought us nearer to that elusive Title. He has already shown that He can take on the Big Boys and win against all the odds, Lets give him the time to do it here.

Bils that is a great post,though i fear that the "microwavers" will not get it or indeed have even an inkling of the passion that you have for our great club that inspired you to write such a well thought out and passionate piece on our manager and the old values which some of us still cherish.

If someone comes into this thread and disagrees then that is their entitlement but it would be nice if it is done respectfully for a change.

As for the Mancs next week i agree the colly woobles will set in on Saturday morning but i am "confident" that we have a chance against them. I also believe that whoever the 11 Reds are that take to the hallowed turf that day they will be up for it.If i did'nt believe that then there would be no point in getting out of bed.

Top notch post, Bils!

Personally, after reading Stevie's statement on the home page http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drill...80907-1441.htm , I think that confidence will be the mitigating factor for us as supporters, and Liverpool FC!

Mmmm having asked for it back, I can't leave this on page 6!

Still looking forward to meeting the Mancs,
    Still confident we can match them.
    Still liable for the collywobbles tho'

ceredred is offline Welsh dolphin-whisperer
    Brilliant post Socratease and nice to see it back.

Am I Confident 'Yes'.

I am blessed in a way that I became aware of Liverpool fc aged eight during the summer of 1977,the year that we won our first European cup and thanks to my Mum's passionate following of Liverpool fc that was passed on to her from her father who stood in the Kop for more than fourty years.

As a supporter of a football club I have been spoilt with success more than any other club supporter still to this day,and will take the so called bad times with grace 'As you cannot be a winner all of the time',losing out is hard in a challenge but losing is what makes you stronger in the long run,just look at Shankly's first result in charge of Liverpool we lost 4-0 to Cardiff City what must the supporters thought back then!

In total the Lines at the start of our anthem speaks volumes;

'When you walk,through a storm'
    'Hold your head up high'

I wouldn't go as far to say we are walking in a storm,but we can always hold our heads high as we are Liverpool fc supporters and we have been blessed with more success than failure in the last fourty years.

Confident!

Well our trophy cabinet probably backs up the word,and what a trophy cabinet we have.

Glad to see this thread again Socs. Confident, as always.

Liked the first few lines: "I remember, it wasn't that long ago, that when Houllier left I watched, with some trepidation, his fairwell conference. It was emotive, but dignified."

The way we parted company with GH summed up LFC for me - dignified. Most clubs have very public sackings, or managers walking out (last week). Liverpool do it "nicely", not a "nice" thing sacking someone but the way it was done made me proud to be a fan of this great club.

Rafa is leading us now to something really special. Houllier started it off with changing things around, took us as far as he could, Rafa has come in and built upon the very good work under the previous regime.

The best signing for me this summer was bringing back Sammy Lee

Once we get over this rather slow start watch us fly. The irony is that last season we started off really well, the international break came after the Derby match and we weren't the same after (for quite some while). This season we haven't got out of 2nd gear, yet we are joint top, and, this time, the international break has come at a good time, especially with Gerrard and Torres resting and (hopefully) recovering from their injuries.

Even is they're not fit for Saturday I share Rafa's belief we have enough quality in our squad to beat ManU.

Glad to see this thread re established, good posts nearly one and all.
    I can only shake my head in disbelief at the suggestion that winning the CL & FA cup is failure . There's many a club that can only dream of that kind of 'failure'. Ask Chelski.
    I am confident that we haven't got started yet - after all we're currently only sharing top spot. But when we do...
    Getting the collywobbles is part and parcel of being a true Red. If we didn't care then the ups and downs wouldn't really matter, oh but they do and how
    Walk on..

There are many illuminating posts/responses to this thread already that are informed and considered - long may it continue!

Again, thanks for caring,Socrateses. Still the best bottom line:
    LFC is OURS. That means the manager, the squad and we all have a duty as
    supporters to have CONFIDENCE.
    GO YOU REDS
    YNWA

There is a storm, actually, because there are those who can not 'grasp' that
    being united will lead this club onwards with CONFIDENCE

Nicely said Greenscouse

Well its that time again..back on nights tonight(but only doing 4 as I have some annual leave to take). I shall miss the UTD game but will at least be able to watch the whole of the Marseilles fixture.I can't bring myself to think about that one yet tho' as the focus is all on Saturday.
    I hope we don't risk Torres or Gerrard if there is a chance they are not fully fit but will have to bow to the Gaffer's inside knowledge. Whichever Team he puts out should have enough to make a fist of it My personal choice would be Aurelio at LB rather than Dossena only because I'm not sure of The Italians defensive qualities against UTD's strengths and coupled with Riera's newness it might mean a new player too far.
    I don't expect to sleep well and will have to force myself not to look at the matchcast updates on the computer if I find myself trotting to the loo as an adverse scoreline will put me off my sleep.
    Hopefully all our international players will have returned without injury and be ready to go.

I hope that the players have found their belief in themselves and have confidence that they CAN beat this team of braggarts.Respect them by all means but do not fear them.WE can win.

Confidence at all times
    YNWA

4 years of failure is simply a ridiculous statement from the "only if we win the league" fraction.

3 Champions League Semi Finals
    2 Finals
    1 win.

4 consecutive qualifications for the Champions League. (add in also FA Cup, a season where we got over 80 points, a super cup, an apperance in the World Club Final which we were cheated out of...)

I have a lot of beef with Rafa, but it seems that many here have lost perspective. The start to the season has been absolutely woeful on performance, but much the same as it was last year when we topped the league after demolishing Derby.

Hamstrung by the vastly bigger wallets of Chelsea and United, further hamstrung when the owners turned us into a sell-to-buy club the expectations here mirror that of the England team...wildly over the top.

Confidence in the squad NOW is the issue. And I can only go on what I have seen this season which is not good enough. THIS we can start to worry about, since 5 games without ONE single decent performance is a dismal start.

I don't think we will beat United on Saturday, although I hope and dream. A draw would be decent given our form and missing super-stars. Defeat and...well...

Am I confident we will score against the mancs?? Not really. ONE O.G. in EIGHT league games says so much about the managers approach.

Confident? No ******* way.

Am I confident we will score against the mancs?? Not really. ONE O.G. in EIGHT league games says so much about the managers approach.

Confident? No ******* way.
    Am I confident we will score against the mancs?? Yes. Top scorers in all competitions (ahead of Arsenal, Manure and Chelsea) last season says so much about the managers approach.

Confident? Hell yes!!

Once again I see another claim to be fan has began spreading his filth in a thread dedicated to true and proper fans.. One thing I will say is this, no matter who is the manager, owner, player, this is still Liverpool Football Club.. you either support the family cause or you don't. It is that simple. We should all be so lucky to be members of this great family of tradition, class and triumph. Okay so we don't every single match and every single trophy, that is the goal yes, but that is not everything. This club stands for much more than just winning, it is about pride and love for your club. Love for the city of Liverpool and everything that encompasses being a Liverpool supporter. We are custodians of this great club and with that repsonsilbility we should do everything in our power to will our club to victory. If you truly support the club you back the club 130%. This utter garbage going back n forth about our manager and state of our club reminds me of American politics, complete joke. Get your heads round and back the club!

With that said I am truly confident as I always have been when supporting our Reds. This is not being a sunshiner, it is about being a realists.. With Liverpool anything is possible.. or shall I say... Impossible is nothing. Come on you Reds, let's take the match to the scum and show them that last year was last year and this season is ours! Confident? Oh yes!

You'll Never Walk Alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazyside View Post
    Once again I see another claim to be fan has began spreading his filth in a thread dedicated to true and proper fans.. One thing I will say is this, no matter who is the manager, owner, player, this is still Liverpool Football Club.. you either support the family cause or you don't. It is that simple. We should all be so lucky to be members of this great family of tradition, class and triumph. Okay so we don't every single match and every single trophy, that is the goal yes, but that is not everything. This club stands for much more than just winning, it is about pride and love for your club. Love for the city of Liverpool and everything that encompasses being a Liverpool supporter. We are custodians of this great club and with that repsonsilbility we should do everything in our power to will our club to victory. If you truly support the club you back the club 130%. This utter garbage going back n forth about our manager and state of our club reminds me of American politics, complete joke. Get your heads round and back the club!

With that said I am truly confident as I always have been when supporting our Reds. This is not being a sunshiner, it is about being a realists.. With Liverpool anything is possible.. or shall I say... Impossible is nothing. Come on you Reds, let's take the match to the scum and show them that last year was last year and this season is ours! Confident? Oh yes!

You'll Never Walk Alone!

Superb, Hazy!

Do we believe in the potential possibilities of achievement?

Do we hold our hands up and throw in the towel because of all of a sudden because we are about to contest/play against the Mancs in the next match?

FFS, this is Anfield!!!

Do the journalists believe the hype of Manure so much?!

That's a surprize!

We have beaten the Mancs many times over the decades - and we will again!

Last edited by Socratease; 12-9-08 at 23:02.

Come On You Red Men!!!