Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Philosophy Of One Of Many Reds

Socratease is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    A wonderful post, Ceredred, and a joy to read! Top notch mate!

Tell us your story.....
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

great post!
    I really enjoyed it

What is your story, khirano!

Give us your story.....

Throughly enjoyed your post Soca (did you not post it before, about a year or so ago?). I started a thread similar about ten days ago looking for input as to how, and how long users on here had supported our great team. Back to your story story, it is great to read something which contains great history and also such courage. Being an ex submariner it was of special interest to me. Submarines today have what is called a "Thetis Clip" on the inner door of all torpedo tubes. It seems what was a main cause of the tragedy was that the bow torpedo doors were open and the tubes flooded when someone attempted to open the inner doors. Usualy there is a drain on the inner door and before opening the doors one would check the drain and if water came out it was a signal that the tubes were flooded. It seems someone had carelessly allowed paint to get inside these drains when the submarine was being built and this caused the drain to become blocked and appear to be dry. Consequently when the doors were opened the submarines torpedo chambers immediately flooded and there was no chance for submariners and workers stuck inside. The crew managed to seal off one part of the submarine but that only led to a longer period before they all perished. Today, like I say, they have this "Thetis Clip" on the inner torpedo door and it is impossible to open door when outer torpedo door is open. Your grandfather must have endured much stress having being so long trying to find a way into the submarine. Back to your becoming a Liverpool fan, great story also. A shame there has not been so much feedback, did not get too much on my original thread. Great are the memories and it is also great to share them. I have been a red now for over 58 years although I do not remember the day I actually became a red, just my first real recollection that day in May 1950. By the way Soca, spoke with 1935RED's wife yesterday, there is still no change but you will be pleased to hear that Rons grandson (age 15yrs) raised the Liverpool flag in Rons backyard before the game yesterday. I am sure the flag blew proudly in honour of our beloved Reds but also our beloved Ron as well....

Enrico the fact that 1935's flag was raised yesterday says it all mate,i was wondering prior to the last couple of games was anyone doing that.

Y.N.W.A.......

Quote Originally Posted by Dave00 View Post
    Enrico the fact that 1935's flag was raised yesterday says it all mate,i was wondering prior to the last couple of games was anyone doing that.

Y.N.W.A.......

Thought about 1935's flag as well. Pleased to be told that.
    Enrico, seems things have changed. I was taught respect. Shrugs. Still, there
    are good Reds here. Just have to keep reminding others about respect.

YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by enrico View Post
    By the way Soca, spoke with 1935RED's wife yesterday, there is still no change but you will be pleased to hear that Rons grandson (age 15yrs) raised the Liverpool flag in Rons backyard before the game yesterday. I am sure the flag blew proudly in honour of our beloved Reds but also our beloved Ron as well....
    Superb, enrico!

I did post this thread a year and a half ago - nail on the head mate!

I think of '35 quite often, and my wishes are for the best of health to Ron.

For those who are new to the e s t forums, 1935RED took us through the 1930s as a kid, the 1940s during the war, the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s as well as this present decade - each day raising the flag for each and every match day!

Now his grandson raises the flag for him due to the chemotherapy he has to endure.

This ol' soldier, and friend, has a lot more life in him yet - of which I am sure the long haired one (his affectionate psuedonym for his long suffering wife ) continually reminds him!

I wish you well, Ron!

When you consider your experiences of life in supporting Liverpool FC, they are unique, though surprizingly shared in another sense{!}, but they are so very important - just as '35's are - as well as yours!

Your individual experience in supporting the tricky Reds is the most important aspect here. It does not matter what country or continent that you live in - never the mind the geographical city!

What matters is what is your story........

When you consider your experiences of life in supporting Liverpool FC, they are unique, though surprizingly shared in another sense{!}, but they are so very important - just as '35's are - as well as yours!

Your individual experience in supporting the tricky Reds is the most important aspect here. It does not matter what country or continent that you live in - never the mind the geographical city!

What matters is what is your story........

As Socs says what matters is your story guys and gals so come on don't be shy let's here it.

Give us your story!

Quote Originally Posted by Socratease View Post
    Give us your story!
    okay then...

whilst we all await news on the health of 1935red Ron, a true and honourable red fan who indeed is the very epicentre of what we are as Liverpool supporters who support the mighty reds the Liverpool way...

sadly today's generation are running hot & cold on the mighty reds, going balistic when we win or come close, and slamming the team, players & manager and even us, our own fans, when we lose or draw or don't win every game 5-0...

the sad truth of today's game is that money rules...

The mancs and te chavs have shown that if they throw money, more money, and even more money at the game then it will bring results.

Whilst this is true in the short term, we at Liverpool FC tend to take the more long-term and philosophical view that is we are the best and we only want players who play the Liverpool way to play for us. Robbie Fowler was the epithomy of this ideal... Slumming it at Man Citeh, scoring goals and getting 100,000 quid a week, you would think that his career was almost over and he was just going through the motions... Most ex-Liverpool players know that when they move on from Liverpool it is only one way from LFC... down...

So, when Robbie got the chance to come back to the mighty reds, he was as excited as you & I were, he was thrilled to be a part of his dream and he showed us just how dedicated he was by the passion he showed when he pulled on that red shirt. Sadly, age, injury and Rafa's passion for only top class and fit players saw Robbie move on, but we will always remember the sheer joy and passion Robbie Fowler showed when playing for Liverpool.

Robbie is just one example of the type of player and supporter we want at Anfield...

The owners saga moves on & on and the new stadium is still up in cyberspace, so we look forward to this team doing the business on the field so that we can continue our role of being the best that we can be, megga-bucks notwithstanding...

So, to my story, I dedicate my role in being a number one Liverpool supporter to my dad, a very similar person to 1935red in many ways. My dad took me to my first match in the early 60's.

THe match is only a blurr now, but I do remember sitting on my dad's shoulders and cheering and jumping up & down in the paddock near the players tunnel and this tall man in a large raincoat shouting and growling all the time...
    (it was Shanks of course...)

We won that game and were crowned League champions and the mighty reds had grabbed my heart... I liked this feeling...

and so to the Boys Pen and the trials and tribulations of a young man brought up in the Pen and graduating to the Spion Kop through many avenues, considering they used to open one of the Kop's gates just after half time (to allow the early-doors mob to go home to their missus...).

Sometimes it was under the turnstile, up the pipes outside the Kop or up the back wall and over through the toilets that used to be in front of the Kop next to the shop on the corner, just next to The Albert...

most kids didn't have the money to get in so we either bunked in or scammed a few bob and lined up with all the "under 15's" in the queue for the Boys Pen... I swear that most of them in there were over 15 by the amount of moustaches on show... and that was just the girls...

We soon learned to either climb out of the BoysPen or to keep a very low profile to avoid paying "protection money..." and actually get to watch the match... It was all worth it though, because at 3 o'clock, all time stood still for You'll Never Walk Alone and the appearance of the mighty reds and the love affair still continues...

Ahhhh...

Saturday aftrernoon at 3 o'clock...

Lemmo...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmo View Post

most kids didn't have the money to get in so we either bunked in or scammed a few bob and lined up with all the "under 15's" in the queue for the Boys Pen... I swear that most of them in there were over 15 by the amount of moustaches on show... and that was just the girls...

We soon learned to either climb out of the BoysPen or to keep a very low profile to avoid paying "protection money..." and actually get to watch the match... It was all worth it though, because at 3 o'clock, all time stood still for You'll Never Walk Alone and the appearance of the mighty reds and the love affair still continues...
    Great read, jl!

Quote Originally Posted by Socratease View Post
    Great read, jl!
    Thanks Socs... I am still waiting for news of our mate 1935red...

I hope he is at peace and happy with his family...

keep the red flag flying...

Lemmo...

Endorsed, Lemmo!

What is your story in following the tricky Reds?

What is your story in following Liverpool FC?

Give us your story!
    Last edited by Socratease; 30-10-08 at 23:12.

What's your story?

As Iíve been lucky enough to have supported Liverpool FC for more than 50 years
    And the true fact that todayís events are tomorrowís history, for what itís worth this is my story of 50 YEARS A RED.
    I was born in Wavertree the youngest of ten children, at that time Liverpool were a mid table 2nd division team Everton riding high in the first, this brings me to my belief that you donít pick a team, a team picks YOU, you will understand when I tell you my Dad and three elder brothers were BLUE, but try as they did I never once even thought of being anything other than a Red.
    Long before I was able to go to Anfield I would stand at the local bus stop to get the latest score, in them days the bus drivers were that days internet.
    When I was 7 me mam forced my eldest brother to take me to Anfield, he showed me the entrance to the boyís pen told me to find my own way home and left with the words ďtell me mam and Iíll kill yeĒ
    So that was it I looked at the inside of Anfield and the green grass for the first time
    [No television then] canít remember anything about the game, I did manage to find my way home only because I seen a bloke from our street and walked with him. Once home I could not stop going on and on about what a day Iíd had and how fantastic Anfield is, my Dad said something like ď Itís all your fault to me mamĒ and then went out, Itís only now that I understand every word I said must have been like a knife in his heart.
    No going back now Liverpool had chosen me,
    Now more than 50 years later my heart still beats faster on match dayís and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when the whistle blows, Memories? Iíve got thousands mostly good some bad, maybe someone with a better command of the English language than me will write a book one day, but for now I would like to record some of my memories here

1: On one of many mornings spent at Melwood Shanks gave me a ball and said come with me son, we walked to an open space with a player called Jimmy Melia, Shanks told me to kick the ball as high and as far as I could, Jimmy ran after it then kick it back to me, Shanks then kicked his ball 20 or 30 yards wide of Jimmy, Jimmy ran for it and kicked it back to Shanks at the same time I kicked my ball up into the air again, this went on for some time with Jimmy running all the time, that night at home my dad was reading the Echo and I was telling me mam all about what Iíd done, my Dad read a piece out of the Echo saying Jimmy Melia had under gone a fitness test and that he would be playing tomorrow. For a split second I think my dad was proud of his traitor son

2: Our first EVER FA Cup, I can still see St John flying like superman to head the winning goal, on the Sunday I went to the Pier Head to see the EGGS!!!
    Some will know what Iím on about, most of you wonít

3: Inter Milan, sorry Lads but this truly was the greatest ever night at Anfield [to date]
    A few dayís after winning the FA Cup we were about to play without doubt the best club side in the World. The gates were closed 2 hours before the game and the party began, the cup was paraded around Anfield then the game started, they never new what hit them both on and off the pitch, that game told Europe we had arrived.

4: Leicester City in the early sixties Leicester where an unbelievable bogey team for Liverpool we seemed to draw them all the time in the cup always the same we would camp in their area for the whole game and lose 1-0 time and again till one night at Anfield I think after a 0-0 at Filbert Street, I was in the Kop only a few minutes left still 0-0 after another Liverpool near miss and a huge sway in the crowd I was trapped against a barrier very winded I was lifted over head and passed down to the pitch [ a common thing in them dayís] as I was being put on a stretcher right behind the Kop goal the net bulge towards me Roger Hunt had done it !! 1-0 game over, bogey over.

5: The next 20 years was a fantastic ride for all Reds, pretty much the same every year, Final, great game, we win, if we lost no worries we will be back next year!!

6: A semi bad memory, I found myself isolated in a Paris back street with a dozen or so riot police running at me after the Real Final, When I started getting hit I thought thatís it for me but they either got bored or they got called away so no lasting damage done.

7: This one is as much of a football memory as a Liverpool one, on the night Spain played Germany in the euro final me and a few friends where in a non- tourist part of Spain, we found a Spanish sports bar to watch the game, I had my Liverpool Torres shirt on and we were treated like kings! We all had our faces painted in Spanish colours even though one mate had his Everton shirt on; I think the Spanish thought it was Liverpoolís away shirt!! Before the game the Spanish were singing Torres, Torres, Torres in the second half most of them were singing Fernando Torres Liverpoolís number nine, Wonderful. After the game in the town square the Liverpool Torres song was every where, we in turn done for them the words and actions of the Dam Busters song [they had just beaten Germany after all]

8: Istanbul: A million words have been written about the night of nights, but for me it could have been all the more special, On that day our eldest Daughter was due to give birth to twins! Our first grand children, although she was on strict orders to wait a few dayís me and the wife watched the game at home waiting for the call.
    That night I think I could have won two world titles, one for being the most depressed man on earth the second title less than 10 minutes later for being the happiest man on earth!! When it was all over I rang our daughter and said
    HAVE THEM NOW, TODAY
    But it was not to be, a boy and a girl joined us a few dayís later

9: The Sunday after Istanbul I went to Allerton Cemetery to tell me mam all about the game, when I walked through the gates I was knocked back by what I saw, grave stones as far as you could see where draped with Liverpool scarves
    It was then that I understood for the first time what Shanks meant when he said
    NO, ITíS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT

10: Heysel / Hillsborough

i know both County Armagh and Cork very well, I'm from County Down myself but have recently become a citizen of Merseyside

thought provoking as always socra

ARCHIE, what a story. Tears in my eyes now.Thank you. rep for that

YNWA

Archie.

Thanks for sharing that with us mate stories like that are exactly why Socs started this thread and why i visit it from time to time to catch up on any new stories.

The part about your visit to the cemetery says it all to me about how being a RED affects people so deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHIEROGERS View Post
    As Iíve been lucky enough to have supported Liverpool FC for more than 50 years
    And the true fact that todayís events are tomorrowís history, for what itís worth this is my story of 50 YEARS A RED.
    I was born in Wavertree the youngest of ten children, at that time Liverpool were a mid table 2nd division team Everton riding high in the first, this brings me to my belief that you donít pick a team, a team picks YOU, you will understand when I tell you my Dad and three elder brothers were BLUE, but try as they did I never once even thought of being anything other than a Red.
    Long before I was able to go to Anfield I would stand at the local bus stop to get the latest score, in them days the bus drivers were that days internet.
    When I was 7 me mam forced my eldest brother to take me to Anfield, he showed me the entrance to the boyís pen told me to find my own way home and left with the words ďtell me mam and Iíll kill yeĒ
    So that was it I looked at the inside of Anfield and the green grass for the first time
    [No television then] canít remember anything about the game, I did manage to find my way home only because I seen a bloke from our street and walked with him. Once home I could not stop going on and on about what a day Iíd had and how fantastic Anfield is, my Dad said something like ď Itís all your fault to me mamĒ and then went out, Itís only now that I understand every word I said must have been like a knife in his heart.
    No going back now Liverpool had chosen me,
    Now more than 50 years later my heart still beats faster on match dayís and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when the whistle blows, Memories? Iíve got thousands mostly good some bad, maybe someone with a better command of the English language than me will write a book one day, but for now I would like to record some of my memories here

1: On one of many mornings spent at Melwood Shanks gave me a ball and said come with me son, we walked to an open space with a player called Jimmy Melia, Shanks told me to kick the ball as high and as far as I could, Jimmy ran after it then kick it back to me, Shanks then kicked his ball 20 or 30 yards wide of Jimmy, Jimmy ran for it and kicked it back to Shanks at the same time I kicked my ball up into the air again, this went on for some time with Jimmy running all the time, that night at home my dad was reading the Echo and I was telling me mam all about what Iíd done, my Dad read a piece out of the Echo saying Jimmy Melia had under gone a fitness test and that he would be playing tomorrow. For a split second I think my dad was proud of his traitor son

2: Our first EVER FA Cup, I can still see St John flying like superman to head the winning goal, on the Sunday I went to the Pier Head to see the EGGS!!!
    Some will know what Iím on about, most of you wonít

3: Inter Milan, sorry Lads but this truly was the greatest ever night at Anfield [to date]
    A few dayís after winning the FA Cup we were about to play without doubt the best club side in the World. The gates were closed 2 hours before the game and the party began, the cup was paraded around Anfield then the game started, they never new what hit them both on and off the pitch, that game told Europe we had arrived.

4: Leicester City in the early sixties Leicester where an unbelievable bogey team for Liverpool we seemed to draw them all the time in the cup always the same we would camp in their area for the whole game and lose 1-0 time and again till one night at Anfield I think after a 0-0 at Filbert Street, I was in the Kop only a few minutes left still 0-0 after another Liverpool near miss and a huge sway in the crowd I was trapped against a barrier very winded I was lifted over head and passed down to the pitch [ a common thing in them dayís] as I was being put on a stretcher right behind the Kop goal the net bulge towards me Roger Hunt had done it !! 1-0 game over, bogey over.

5: The next 20 years was a fantastic ride for all Reds, pretty much the same every year, Final, great game, we win, if we lost no worries we will be back next year!!

6: A semi bad memory, I found myself isolated in a Paris back street with a dozen or so riot police running at me after the Real Final, When I started getting hit I thought thatís it for me but they either got bored or they got called away so no lasting damage done.

7: This one is as much of a football memory as a Liverpool one, on the night Spain played Germany in the euro final me and a few friends where in a non- tourist part of Spain, we found a Spanish sports bar to watch the game, I had my Liverpool Torres shirt on and we were treated like kings! We all had our faces painted in Spanish colours even though one mate had his Everton shirt on; I think the Spanish thought it was Liverpoolís away shirt!! Before the game the Spanish were singing Torres, Torres, Torres in the second half most of them were singing Fernando Torres Liverpoolís number nine, Wonderful. After the game in the town square the Liverpool Torres song was every where, we in turn done for them the words and actions of the Dam Busters song [they had just beaten Germany after all]

8: Istanbul: A million words have been written about the night of nights, but for me it could have been all the more special, On that day our eldest Daughter was due to give birth to twins! Our first grand children, although she was on strict orders to wait a few dayís me and the wife watched the game at home waiting for the call.
    That night I think I could have won two world titles, one for being the most depressed man on earth the second title less than 10 minutes later for being the happiest man on earth!! When it was all over I rang our daughter and said
    HAVE THEM NOW, TODAY
    But it was not to be, a boy and a girl joined us a few dayís later

9: The Sunday after Istanbul I went to Allerton Cemetery to tell me mam all about the game, when I walked through the gates I was knocked back by what I saw, grave stones as far as you could see where draped with Liverpool scarves
    It was then that I understood for the first time what Shanks meant when he said
    NO, ITíS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT

10: Heysel / Hillsborough

A superb and considered post from the heart, Archie! Thank you for sharing! It is really appreciated, mate!

What is your story?

?
    Last edited by Socratease; 11-11-08 at 23:05.

Give us your story.....

Come on then!

Quote Originally Posted by NickoFTMasc View Post
    i know both County Armagh and Cork very well, I'm from County Down myself but have recently become a citizen of Merseyside

thought provoking as always socra
    Let us hope that fellow readers will divulge their personal experiences, too, NickoFTMasc!

Think about what you you wish to write overnight and post your first experiences of being/becoming a Red when you are ready to do so in this thread.

What is your story in following the tricky Reds?