Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Philosophy Of One Of Many Reds

1. #1 Post A Philosophy Of One Of Many Reds 
    Socratease is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    In the twenties my grand parents, on my mother's side, where in their youth and Liverpool was very attractive to them, they both would talk about Liverpool, she about new life and fine people, he about the best darned footy Team in the world! Nothing like a fella's perspective hey!

My grandmother was a district nurse who would do her rounds on a bicycle in Armagh, my grandfather was a lighthouse keeper who joined the Merchant Navy, from Cork. They eloped to England just before World War Two and arrived in Liverpool.

It was while in Liverpool my grandfather was recruited by the Royal Navy and he qualified as a deep water diver - in those days it was a big metal helmet that had an airline from the surface and huge heavy leaded boots, all sealed in a one piece diving suit! Just after he qualified they married and she gained a nursing post on the Wirral, and they established a home there in Birkenhead (then Cheshire). Within the year my uncle was born, and not much later she was pregnant with my mum.

The pay was (comparatively) good for my grandfather and it allowed my grandmother to concentrate on the young family, when an alert went out that a submarine - HMS Thetis - had left Cammel Laird's ship yard and was having difficulties just outside of Liverpool Bay in the Irish sea. HMS Thetis was undergoing sea trials for the Navy with some of their officers and Cammel Laird engineers & technicians aboard.

It soon became clear that an urgent rescue operation was needed and the Royal Navy mobilized to rescue their troubled virgin new born craft and the men that sailed in her beneath the waves. Many a time my grandfather said to my mum as a youngster, - at the time of the incident she was still in gestation and not born yet - that as they sailed at high speed, he and the rest of his surrounding crew watched the Liverbirds fade into the distance as they rushed to the scene a couple of hours away. There was a determination that they would bring those men back along with the submarine HMS Thetis (Thetis was a Greek sea-goddess, daughter of Nereus and Doris, she wed Peleus and bore Achilles to him).

They did their utmost in retrieving the men once it was obvious, after many strenuous attempts against the sea, that it was not going to be possible to raise HMS Thetis herself. My grandfather was down there in very precarious conditions both to himself and his surface ship - tapping morse code on the hull with a heavy wrench/adjustable spanner in the darkness knowing that their air was running out and hearing the responses become more and more faint as their air supply was running out. At this time with the depth of his dive and the pressure of the depth of the water, he was under extreme duress as those above the waves were struggling with the weather conditions trying to figure an airline to the submarine and/or a possible extraction procedure for the men trapped to escape the depths.

My grandfather had far outstripped the limits for the duration of such a deep dive as he kept signalling 'No' for his time of retrieval. He could no longer hear any more bangings from within the submarine. He said to my mother, when the war was over, that he did not even consider it possible to weep under water.

His commanding officer signalled to him, in the depths, that he MUST come up NOW! He did not give any answer. He said to my mum that he didn't want to answer, and that he was beginning to hallucinate and his emotions were amok! If he was not retrieved when he was, he would have died along with people he was trying to help to rescue. He said to her it was beyond despair, to leave those men lying there in that deep watery grave.

There was a film made about this incident that pre dates the ones of the Kursk (a nuclear submarine, just off Murmansk in Russia) with some famous British actors. It was in black & white due to when it was made and when I watched it for the first time I found it totally overpowering!

My grandad, in a major ceremony, received the George Cross from the King at the time, but he never boasted about it.

Whilst with the Navy in WWII, he got sunk by the German Navy four times by their U-Boats by the end of the war, but he was happy -

'Liverpool Won the Battle of the Atlantic!', he would shout with great pride!

YNWA, grandad.

My old grandad passed away 40 years ago on this year. He was very influential upon me as child, and subsequently as an adult. In fact he was the key factor in pointing out the tricky Reds to me as a child, my father was never a footy fan, and this ticked him off!

Homer (not Simpson) had a point back in 800/850 BC, heroes are borne in the dealing with circumstance and overcoming overwhelming odds. When it comes to facing the challenge, are you confident?

Even if you are not sure of the outcome of your aspirations, you try your darnest to achieve them, after every step of travail - whether it be in daily home life, or work - our mortality is reinforced by our history. In effect, remembering knowledge that what was previously unaccessable due to our placement in time by previous contributors, due to our personal experiences. This is achieved by learning, and enquiry. These experiences/memories are what give us our continuity - our identity from one generation to the next.

I feel so very lucky that fate construed to make me a Red man. Looking back it is'nt surprizing, as every ferry across the Mersey from Woodside gave me the spectacular view of the Liver buildings and the Liver Bird at the pier head. As a young kid, my mother took me up past that amazing water front towards James St. station to go up the hill into Liverpool's city centre - and she stopped. She said, 'Look back, up there!' pointing to the Liver building - it was the other Liver Bird looking towards the city! She said, 'The one at the front looks out to sea, this one looks in to the city.'

'Wow!', I said, 'Grandad said we are going to buy some school shoes for me, will he come with us next time?' Her face, not her voice, went quiet, 'I hope so luv.'. At such a young age I did'nt know what that meant. As we got to the Liverpool city centre it was magical, loads of people in Red & White, scarves swinging in the air and rosettes on their coats, singing and waving huge big wooden rattle noise makers and singing amazing songs - all at once! I was'nt interested in my school shoes in the first place, this was a whopping great funfair and merry-go-round! It was like being on the wurlitzer! One bloke, he was as old as my grandad, came upto me and put a Red & White scarf around my neck and said, 'Liverpool are the greatest, lad!', I said, 'That's what my grandad said!' He winked, and he rejoined the throng. My mother laughed, she was happy to see her young lad so enthralled! I kept that scarf for another one whole year more, until my grandad departed, with my most favourite possession given to him on his passing.

It was later on that I found out that he gave my mother the money for the fare for the ferry, and the money for those school shoes, did he know or forsee that day for me as a child, or my mother as a daughter? Or both?

I still wear those old troublesome new school shoes, from that 'posh shop' (in those days) ‘Clarks’.

New shoes, they always will be, to the next generation, as well as to the previous. They will always feel new, even though previously worn in one guise or another, by a previous generation. There is a natural proclivity to pass the passion on, to sustain the knowledge of this great club for the future up and coming generations.

Never lose sight of the possibilities, and question yourself - always.

I believe that there is and will always be a bootroom at LFC. The bootroom, and the concept of it, is the core of the Liverpool Way.

Any knowledgeable supporter knows this, and this is what we recognize as the soul, not just the fleeting shimmering of a lustre on a shiny trophy, but the recognized achievement in gaining the Trophy through grit, determination and athletic skill for the Club, the Team and Us supporters!

The extacy of the moment in the gaining of a Trophy, that has been hard fought for, gives the generational and familial grasp of the achievement in the long hard slog of a football Marathon of a long and heavily contested season!

Of course there are losses as well as wins, it is due to overcoming the losses that makes the wins, and the Final Win, all the more sweeter! It is because of the lows that the highs are all the more intense - all the way to your soul!

There are many decisions to come,

When you encounter a crossroad, with one road leading to the left and one to the right, you are looking for a destination, which road do you drive down?

Get out of your car, and walk to the high ground and observe.

It is worth it for the view!

In the meantime, my grandchildren need new school shoes, too.....

What is your story?
    Last edited by Socratease; 29-9-08 at 10:27.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

ForkHandles is offline Boot Room insider
    great read

YNWA

Great read

YNWA

i'll text my buddy Nabil El-Zhar this post, it's just that good.

we're really tight. you know...he played for liverpool a few times...and like...we're close.

=]

great read

YAWN

Socratease,
    My father served on HMS Thunderbolt which was the salvaged HMS Thetis. He was sent home on special leave just before HMS Thunderbolt left on her final voyage. Likely my Da may have met your Grand-dad.

A different age, a different time. We were brought up a lot different then. My
    Grand-dad gave us the school shoes and clothes as well.
    Those older Reds were true and loyal to their last breath and always their beloved Club.

RIP YNWA

My father also served in the Royal Navy, around the beginning of the 50's, and told me of a guy who they called Snow White, even though he was of African origin.
    He would tell me how everytime Liverpool lost, he would openly cry, in front of his collegues.
    He would also tell me of his admiration of the great Billy Liddell.
    It was my father who got me into Liverpool FC.
    One day he came home with this Red Silk scarf, with the white Liverpool writing fading slightly, and told me that Bill Shankly gave it to him, ( he had a great way of telling lies).
    As I was just 5 years old and only starting to get to know football (1973), I later noticed in a Shoot Magazine (I think), a picture of Bill Shankly with a Red Scarf around his neck, and thought. " that's my scarf ", so here started my love affair with Liverpool Football Club, with Kevin Keegan, being my first LFC hero.
    Silly story, but thought I should share it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenscouse View Post
    Socratease,
    My father served on HMS Thunderbolt which was the salvaged HMS Thetis. He was sent home on special leave just before HMS Thunderbolt left on her final voyage. Likely my Da may have met your Grand-dad.

A different age, a different time. We were brought up a lot different then. My
    Grand-dad gave us the school shoes and clothes as well.
    Those older Reds were true and loyal to their last breath and always their beloved Club.

RIP YNWA
    Your Da may well have met my grandad, Greenscouse, though will we ever know? I think it is possible! The links of the events that cover Thetis and Thunderbolt are remarkable in the calendar sense, your father was lucky to have not been continually assigned to her final voyage. Thunderbolt was very successful in the Mediterranean, but her demise by Captain Migliorini, was a dreadful contest of war. Thank you for your response, mate, the fact that our relatives survived such a brutal conlict is remarkable, what they devolved and inspired within us is a testament of generational experience!

Today 09:53
    woowoo My father also served in the Royal Navy, around the beginning of the 50's, and told me of a guy who they called Snow White, even though he was of African origin.
    He would tell me how everytime Liverpool lost, he would openly cry, in front of his collegues.
    He would also tell me of his admiration of the great Billy Liddell.
    It was my father who got me into Liverpool FC.
    One day he came home with this Red Silk scarf, with the white Liverpool writing fading slightly, and told me that Bill Shankly gave it to him, ( he had a great way of telling lies).
    As I was just 5 years old and only starting to get to know football (1973), I later noticed in a Shoot Magazine (I think), a picture of Bill Shankly with a Red Scarf around his neck, and thought. " that's my scarf ", so here started my love affair with Liverpool Football Club, with Kevin Keegan, being my first LFC hero.
    Silly story, but thought I should share it.

Silly? No, woowoo! Your post is appreciated, mate! This is what this thread is about, our personal experiences in gaining this ribald fixation of Liverpool FC! It does not matter where in the world geographically you are, or your placement in time, what matters is how you became hooked by the tricky Reds in the first place!

bondred is offline First team regular
    I have nothing as remarkable to tell, my grandfather did fight in the war and was a POW in Nazi Germany, he escaped and fled to blighty, but he didnt say much else about it!

Other then that my family is very unremarkable!

Great read though

Socs - did the other thread get deleted?

Such a shame if it did, there were some great stories on there. Took me forever to type mine out too.

Liverdinner is online now Posts With His Faace
    Quote Originally Posted by Socratease View Post
    Whilst with the Navy in WWII, he got sunk by the German Navy four times by their U-Boats by the end of the war, but he was happy -

What is your story?
    Uncle Albert?

During the war

great read ynwa grandads

Socs i can relate to the maritime part of your story though that does not directly lead me in my case to my love for Liverpool FC.

My maternal grandfather was the skipper of a coaster that was out of Lairds yard.The ship he was commanding on his last fateful voyage was in fact called the Lairdsfield.

The final journey the Lairdsfield embarked upon was to take a consignment of steel plates from Middlesborough to Belfast.

Upon leaving the safety of the Tees my Grandads ship hit unexpected heavy seas and capsized.The Lairdsfield was featured on the news for several days with just the bow visible above the waves. Much talk was made at the time that divers could hear knocking from within the ship,but the fact is that none of the men onboard the Lairdsfield survived, 13 in all i think and none of their bodies were ever found.

The Lairds field was later salvaged and returned to a dock in Middlesborough my uncle now deceased who was a Yorkshireman thought it would be a good idea to take myself and my young brother for a trip round that ship,opening doors and cupboards as we went.That trip round that boat still haunts me to this day i never got to see my Grandad and my Grandma never got to bury him.

Socs i know what i have just written has little to do with my love for Liverpool FC but i think it illustrates that people from a maritime history can relate to the great city that is Liverpool.

Cheers, bondred! Therein lies a gem of a fact about your grandfather, I believe that this is what makes us all the more remarkable, the stories/personal history that we have to tell in the realization of our being gripped by the guts in supporting Liverpool FC - no matter how mundane it might seem, believe me my family is mundane! I find these stories all the more remarkable due to the personal investment involved.

This thread does not mean that an extensive family history is required, as I am attempting to help illustrate/highlight/encourage fellow Reds to divulge their personal experiences - no matter how recent or distant in time they might be - and hopefully for others to examine their own experiences too.

Many Reds have their individual experiences, things that have shaped their lives that help form their personal philosophy of life.

I believe that as a collective, as well as individuals, we have a common philosophy in supporting Liverpool FC due to our outstanding history and our achievements - as well as those to come!

We each are a Red, we each have a philosophy (though we might not describe it as such) as individuals. However we all share a 'tribal' cause.

Herein is the question,

What is your story/experience?

bondred is offline First team regular
    This has nothing to do with LFC at all, but I thought I would share it with you Soc's.

My life has been shaped by a mispent youth, I was a pretty bad kid growing up and didnt see the good in anything, one day a few "mates" (and I use that term lightly) sat down to watch a video that had been banned, it wasnt a feature film, but a documentary. It was awful, it was all about people suffering and dying in the most hideous ways you could imagine.

This made me sit down and evaluate my life and the direction I was heading in, I decided that I would spend my life helping people in extreme need, and not waste my life ******* it down the drain and causing hurt to others.

I bucked my idea's up and became what I am today. and I am glad I watched that film, it really highlighted what horrible things are waiting for us if we keep going in a downward spiral.

Sorry to have skipped your posts while writing!

Annasfield

Such a shame if it did, there were some great stories on there. Took me forever to type mine out too.
    Yes it got pruned, Annasfield, I hope you can rewrite it when you have the time, your post was a great read, mate!

Dave00
    Socs i can relate to the maritime part of your story though that does not directly lead me in my case to my love for Liverpool FC.

My maternal grandfather was the skipper of a coaster that was out of Lairds yard.The ship he was commanding on his last fateful voyage was in fact called the Lairdsfield.

The final journey the Lairdsfield embarked upon was to take a consignment of steel plates from Middlesborough to Belfast.

Upon leaving the safety of the Tees my Grandads ship hit unexpected heavy seas and capsized.The Lairdsfield was featured on the news for several days with just the bow visible above the waves. Much talk was made at the time that divers could hear knocking from within the ship,but the fact is that none of the men onboard the Lairdsfield survived, 13 in all i think and none of their bodies were ever found.

The Lairds field was later salvaged and returned to a dock in Middlesborough my uncle now deceased who was a Yorkshireman thought it would be a good idea to take myself and my young brother for a trip round that ship,opening doors and cupboards as we went.That trip round that boat still haunts me to this day i never got to see my Grandad and my Grandma never got to bury him.

Socs i know what i have just written has little to do with my love for Liverpool FC but i think it illustrates that people from a maritime history can relate to the great city that is Liverpool.
    No worries, Dave, I know the incident quite well, I appreciate your post and I offer my heartfelt sympathies to you and your family, mate. You have a good and valid point about the maritime history, Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by bondred View Post
    This has nothing to do with LFC at all, but I thought I would share it with you Soc's.

My life has been shaped by a mispent youth, I was a pretty bad kid growing up and didnt see the good in anything, one day a few "mates" (and I use that term lightly) sat down to watch a video that had been banned, it wasnt a feature film, but a documentary. It was awful, it was all about people suffering and dying in the most hideous ways you could imagine.

This made me sit down and evaluate my life and the direction I was heading in, I decided that I would spend my life helping people in extreme need, and not waste my life ******* it down the drain and causing hurt to others.

I bucked my idea's up and became what I am today. and I am glad I watched that film, it really highlighted what horrible things are waiting for us if we keep going in a downward spiral.
    An eloquent and thoughtful post, bondred, I truly appreciate what you have written in this post - it is a positive and reinforcing experience in evaluating one's prorities, I have been through it myself too, mate.

Socs my Grandad spent a lot of his maritime career sailing between Liverpool and the other major ports in the British Isles.

Every time i see the Liver birds i always think of him.

I know for a fact that he would be pleased that at least one member of his family still looks up at those "birds" from time to time.
    Last edited by Dave00; 29-9-08 at 22:51. Reason: typo

I know for a fact that he would be pleased that at least one member of his family still looks up at those "birds" from time to time.
    Well said mate!

What is your story?

koki-Reds17 is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Annasfield View Post

tell me about it

@koki!

I hope previous, as well as new, contributors can find the time to tell us their story as to how they came to support the tricky Reds!
    Last edited by Socratease; 30-9-08 at 22:14.

Hey Socs

What happened to the huge thread.

Can the Mods put all the posts in to a word docoument and have it foe all fans to download.

That was one of my favourite threads.

If I write the story again and this thread grows will this thread get pruned again

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxheart View Post
    Hey Socs

What happened to the huge thread.

Can the Mods put all the posts in to a word docoument and have it foe all fans to download.

That was one of my favourite threads.

If I write the story again and this thread grows will this thread get pruned again
    'Can the mods...' - a good question, ajaxheart.

'If I write...' - many threads were all wiped, unfortunately.

The only way around this is if I either personally keep the thread updated in a word file/s personally. Unless the powers that be (dot tv) see it fit to retain it as a sticky. However, my concern is one of storage capacity as a private PC owner.

It goes without saying that I advocate that people ascribe their thoughts and experiences to this reintroduced/reborn thread. It was quite a shock to see a mother lode of publicly annotated personal experiences and interactions go down the pan - without a reference or record of such heartfelt renditions of people's life changing/evolutionary events! The thing is that it is therapeutic to record one's memories and situations. I hope to prevent such a potential future loss by recording these stories in which ever format it takes.

So, ajaxheart, I hope you, as well as the many other posters, consider once more to write your experiences - as others have done once before. Indeed others are posting already. I hope that everyone considers their events in life in relating to Liverpool FC and the mitigating factors that affected their personal experiences that have occured in their life which have reinforced their belief in supporting LFC.

There is nothing like first hand experiences to fire the heart in debate or conversation - this is what gives/provides a fascinating and great read! Even though we are a collective as supporters, the fact that we have so much in common is one thing, however, the details of the individual's experiences make us all the more richer in appreciating the travails that we each and everyone of us go through in one form or another.

This is what forms a personal philosophy, in approaching life through experience. Each and every one of us has a philosophy as one of many Reds.

What is yours?

?
    Last edited by Socratease; 30-9-08 at 22:15.

What is your story?

I fell in love when I was 5 years old...

I am from Belfast, and at the time had little or no concept of football. My dad says "I'm taking you to yer uncle Mervans' house in Ormskirk, and we're goin to watch the match"

I'm sure my initial reaction was happy days i get to go on a plane...

When we arrived, my auntie noreen fussed over me as she always does, all the coco pops i could eat...

I remember my uncle gave me an old red and white cap with a short peak on it, and a liverbird on a shield. I thought wow, and they stiched it at they back to fit my tiny head. I had a pair of old l'pool socks and shorts on, but no top, cuz my dad probably didn't know how i'd take to the footy. I remeber, sitting in the paddock, my uncles season ticket seats. We played spurs, the kop was still all standing. I was told enthusiastically by my dad that this was gazza and linekers' last game for spurs but we'd win...

we won two nil...

I was in love.

My first top was invested in me, the green centenary adidas top. My love grew and grew... I went to countless games flying back and forth throughout my childhood and adolescence.

When i turned 18 and passed my A levels there was only one place i was going. JMU

I lived there for 3 years from 2003-2006.

I was kop end for olympiakos, juve, chelsea the lot...

I miss my club and i can't wait to come over in nov for the fulham game.

I would like to add that i feel lfc has such a deep bond between team and support for many reasons, the strongest being Hillsborough. My uncle hasn't been to an away game since... I believe they were with us in instanbul, how else did dudek save that...?

I love LFC and always will...

i still have that cap, and if im lukcy enough to have a son... it will be his forever.

Justice 96 YNWA
    Last edited by CrockyRoadKopite; 1-10-08 at 09:52.

Mods - Is there anyway the old thread can be resurrected?

CrockyRoad,

Brilliant post. When things are tough, I hope that this thread can be read and read again. It stands as a great reminder of that which Liverpool Football Club.

GO YOU REDS, YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by Greenscouse View Post
    CrockyRoad,

Brilliant post. When things are tough, I hope that this thread can be read and read again. It stands as a great reminder of that which Liverpool Football Club.

GO YOU REDS, YNWA
    Cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by CrockyRoadKopite View Post
    I fell in love when I was 5 years old...

I am from Belfast, and at the time had little or no concept of football. My dad says "I'm taking you to yer uncle Mervans' house in Ormskirk, and we're goin to watch the match"

I'm sure my initial reaction was happy days i get to go on a plane...

When we arrived, my auntie noreen fussed over me as she always does, all the coco pops i could eat...

I remember my uncle gave me an old red and white cap with a short peak on it, and a liverbird on a shield. I thought wow, and they stiched it at they back to fit my tiny head. I had a pair of old l'pool socks and shorts on, but no top, cuz my dad probably didn't know how i'd take to the footy. I remeber, sitting in the paddock, my uncles season ticket seats. We played spurs, the kop was still all standing. I was told enthusiastically by my dad that this was gazza and linekers' last game for spurs but we'd win...

we won two nil...

I was in love.

My first top was invested in me, the green centenary adidas top. My love grew and grew... I went to countless games flying back and forth throughout my childhood and adolescence.

When i turned 18 and passed my A levels there was only one place i was going. JMU

I lived there for 3 years from 2003-2006.

I was kop end for olympiakos, juve, chelsea the lot...

I miss my club and i can't wait to come over in nov for the fulham game.

I would like to add that i feel lfc has such a deep bond between team and support for many reasons, the strongest being Hillsborough. My uncle hasn't been to an away game since... I believe they were with us in instanbul, how else did dudek save that...?

I love LFC and always will...

i still have that cap, and if im lukcy enough to have a son... it will be his forever.

Justice 96 YNWA

A superb post, CrockyRoadKopite! Thank you for taking the time in sharing your experiences with us mate!

Cracking post CrockyRoadKopite,a really entertaining read,i too am from Belfast originally and though i was not clever enough to go to Uni my son is at JMU right now.Like you there was only ever going to be one Uni he was going to attend.

ceredred is offline Welsh dolphin-whisperer
    My love of Liverpool fc began back on a warm may summers evening in 1977,during the day I noticed flags and banners hanging from the balconies of the six heights(blocks of flats,I believe they have since been demolished)that surrounded the masionette where I lived in wellgreen road ,Childwall as a kid.

My Dad was out(no doubt at the coronation pub)and my two younger sisters were in bed and my Mum said I could stay up as there was a football match on the telly and that was the reason for alot of houses aswell as the heights having flags and banners outside them.So there I was 7 years of age with a big glass of alpine pop and some sweets watching a football match on the telly with my Mum,in between the loud shouts of joy and cheering that my Mum made during the match she explained to me that her Dad(my Grandfather)was at the match in Italy and had followed the team since the thirties and all over Europe aswell as home and away games during the sixties and seventies(he was a season ticket holder on the kop)and that's what happened for what seemed like the whole evening Mum talking about Liverpool fc and what it meant to support them.

I will always remember the shouts and cheering late into the summer evening of people who had left their houses and were celebrating what was Liverpool's first European cup win with Mum telling me she would take me to see the trophy.

Well the day of seeing the trophy was an eye opener even for a 7 year old scally,my Mum took me and my sisters upto the top of Childwall hill to what is called the 'five ways',when we got there it was jammed packed with what seemed like millions of people but would no doubt be quite a few thousand.Some people climbed lamp posts,and the round'a'bout was a heap of people shouting and cheering,all the 'five ways'was a sea of red and white.Then for what seemed like an age a big red open topped bus approached and as it drew slowly closer I could see mullet haired men with smiles as big as the mersey tunnel holding a trophy that was bigger than me,that trophy and how it glissend with the summer sun at the top and red at the bottom was a sight I will always remember.

Since that day I have seen the European cup another 3 times from roughly the same spot at the 'five ways' aswell as many other trophies before my Mum and Dad moved my family to Wales but they are memories that will always live with me,they remind me of happy times even when I did not have much material wise but happiness is worth more in my mind,I am also very grateful for my Mum for talking about Liverpool fc(which she still does to this day)and how important it is to understand that it's not just a team that you follow but a way of life for others.