Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first recollection of being a Liverpool F.C. Supporter

Welcome leonkopite.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Cullenator View Post
    Welcome leonkopite.
    Hello ive my internet back on!!!! i aint been ere for a good while its good to be back!!!!!

Great read Enrico, and wonderful times. I'm not too far behind in age, and well remember standing on the Gwladys Street with my mates, and they stood on the Kop with me. Loads of banter, but all in good spirits.

Also, before and after matches we had a few pints.

I went to Wembley in 1984 with an Evertonian - I actually got the tickets through a referee friend. We were stood with the Watford fans, and had a great day. He came to Wembley with me in 1987 when we played Arsenal in the league cup final.

Thanks for your replies, but not many of you are sharing your recollections of becoming a Liverpool supporter. It doesn't have to be twenty or thirty years ago, it could be as recent as this year. How you became one is of interest to me.....

Enrico,
    Matt-CM is also going to ensure that these stories are kept and never deleted.
    You talk of a time in our Club's history of years gone by, and here we are again
    in 2008 making more history. Matt is aware of safe-guarding memories.

YNWA GO YOU REDS

Quote Originally Posted by enrico View Post
    So !!!, what are your memories, please share them if you have any
    enrico, he only has memories from May 2005 when we won number 5...

he hates Liverpool supporters over the age of 15 because they have an actual IQ more than him and his mates, and knowledge of the real reds, and he hates it when real fans like us, 1935red, bilsland, socratease talk about the Liverpool way, sadly being an OOT and a cockerney sparra like, he has no idea what it was like just getting to and into a match in the good old days..

Cockney Craig never has anything positive to say about anything, sad init......!!!

great post enrico...

Lemmo...

Once again this thread was about my recollections not about my education
    enrico mate, they say ignorance is bliss, these immature so called fans are from down the east lancs road...

they really love manure...

don't you craig!!

Lemmo...

Cool

Great post enrico thanks for sharing that with us.Posts like yours are what makes it a pleasure to read on this forum.

Just ignore that prat Craig he has no class or respect for anything,he knows full well that 1935 Red is gravely ill yet he makes a tasteless jest about at least he will be around to see the Reds for many years to come.

Enrico Y.N.W.A........

partlydave is offline First team regular
    Thanks for your replies, but not many of you are sharing your recollections of becoming a Liverpool supporter. It doesn't have to be twenty or thirty years ago, it could be as recent as this year. How you became one is of interest to me.....
    Enrico, mine is another old one. This is my 40th year, like Kopgirl. As a lad I moved around a few times as my dad was a prison officer. I was more of a football supporter rather than supporting one particular club.I had a favourite player rather than team and that was Jimmy Greaves. My home town is Northampton and thats where my first ever game was when I was about 8 or 9 taken by my grandad.
    We moved from Nothants to Shrewsbury in 1963 and I watched them while Ilived there. Then we moved to Lancashire in 1967 and the day that changed my football life was in September 1968 against Leicester City.
    I caught the bus to Liverpool, and what I saw really took my breath away. I'd never seen anything like it before having watched lower league football before this day. When Liverpool were playing away I used to watch Wigan Athletic play in the Northern Premier league or Wigan Rugby League as I wasn't allowed to venture far from home as a lad.
    Needless to say Liverpool was well and truly under my skin from that day on until today where I'm really happy to say that I'm in a position to attend more games than I have been for the last few years.

YNWA
    Last edited by partlydave; 4-10-08 at 14:33.

Excellent post Enrico.

tweepie is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Thought this great op deserved a little bump back to the first page.

I was first taken to Anfield in August 1959 Liverpool played Bristol City and Phil Taylor was still the manager.Liverpool won 4-2 with goals from Billy Liddel (2) A penalty by Jimmy Melia and Alan A'Court.It was a old 2ed Division game.I don't remember much about it as I was only 5 years old.I was also taken to the 1st game that Bill Shankly was in charge of at Anfield a 4-0 defeat to Cardiff City.I was taken to a few more 2ed division games over the years the highlight of the early years promotion to the 1st Division.Winning the 1st Division,Winning the FA Cup,playing in the European cup and being at Anfield in the paddock for Inter Milan.From around 1970 I started attending games on my own and also started travelling to the away games.Good old days

The reason i have always supported liverpool for 40 yrs is simple ,bill shankly nuff said, ynwa

Enrico, I liked reading your story and it minded me to share again my first experience at Anfield.

My first game was 1960 - it was against Leyton Orient, a 1960 FA Cup game, result a 2-1 win and we were still in the old 2nd division. I was only around 8 years of age and my dad took me into the Kop via a kindly gatemen who didn’t charge for me. “Me” dad placed me on a narrow ledge at the back of the KOP up where the girders rested on said ledge of few inches width. A lot of kids seemed to be placed on this high ledge, all of us hanging on the nearest metal work to prevent falling off. Needless to say could only get a good view of the Kop side of the pitch but I can still remember the sheer awe of watching so many people crowded in the KOP moving on-mass backwards and forwards whilst keeping a keen eye on ensuring not losing sight of “me” dad – I was only young. Does any other older fans remember being placed in said ledge at back of kop.

The next game was a 1964 QF FA Cup surprise loss to Swansea and my memory tells me that Ronnie Moran blasting over sky high from a penalty. Plus I am sure I remember us getting an indirect free kick in the area and the whole Swansea team stood on the goal line. We missed. Guess I have been lucky in that from 1964 onwards I attended almost all home games plus many away games until early ninety’s when I moved from Liverpool because of work.

My first ever recollection of supporting Liverpool was when i was 10 years old, I had a report to do on English Football and the history of LFC stunned me! Amazing!! Great History! Since then! I am a RED MAN FOR LIFE!

I was born with YNWA tattooed on my forehead, have a natural hatred for mancs, I was saying things like ''I will conquer this ruddy potty'' in a Scottish accent when I was coming out of nappies, wiped my a*se with the sun newspaper when I had mastered the toilet and my first pet was a Liver bird.

When I grew up I tried supporting Bradford but it just didnt quite feel right.

Quote Originally Posted by tweepie View Post
    Thought this great op deserved a little bump back to the first page.
    I'm glad you did that tweepie, I missed the o/p and I'd just like to thank Enrico for a damn fine read.

As for my becoming a Liverpool supporter, well I've posted this before, but I couldn't find it to 'lift and copy' but here is my story.

The year was 1965, I was eight years old, due to Pops work, we were living in London, a short bus ride from Wembely stadium.

My parents were Irish, so the extended family stretched from Dublin to Belfast, (Harland Wolf shipyard workers) to 'uncles' (second cousins) working in the Liverpool docks.

Because we were so close to the stadium, the 'uncles' from Belfast and Liverpool, came down to stay for a few days, to see the sights of London etc, before going to the final.

The morning of the game, it was announced that due to a problem, two people could not get to London, so there were two spare tickets, one for my Father and the other for one of three brothers. We played a game of pontoon for the ticket, I beat my two elder brothers.

I was TOLD I had to support Liverpool, and I was not about to argue with a big Irish/Liverpudlian docker. Besides, I liked the red and white scarf.

Well, as you will know, we beat Leeds 2-1 and the crowd went crazy. That was it, I was a Red. And I truly thank my late uncle for leading me on the correct path.

Leeds were one of our biggest rivals in the 60s/70s, with the great Don Revie as their manager, (not certain if he was rhe manager for that final),

My first visit to Anfield and the Kop, also happened to be a Leeds utd game, March 74, top of the table clash, we won with a last ditch goal. The Kop went wild, that was some initiation.

It was also the season the mancs got relagated.

I still have the match programme, When I look at the names of the players that day, there were 22 legends on the pitch. And whilst it was war on the field of play, they all had respect for each other, even if there were the occasional spat.

Do you remember Kevin Keegan and Billy Bremner getting red carded in the Charity shield. Passion was the order of the day between those two great teams.

Don Revie paid tribute to the Liverpool supporters in the 74 programme. He said it was his favorite place to play, (after Elland rd of course), because of the supporters, but he couldn't remember ever winning there.

Leeds had previously secured the 1st div title with a final game at Anfield, I think it was a draw. But the point was, when Bremner and the team, had applauded the Leeds fans, they were about to enter the tunnel, Revie ordered them to go to the Kop end, when they reached the Kop, the Liverpool supporters applauded and chanted 'champions'.

Great respect from players and supporters alike, dispite the bitter rivalry.

I was about 5 years old, and my older 1st cousins all supported LFC. They handed me a book to write in and at the front were the words 'Liverpool', which I was told if the team I will be supporting. I'd watch a few of the matches but the biggest game for me as a kid was the 1986 F.A Cup Final v Everton, the pull in my heart for LFC was stronger than I knew and that cemented my love for the club, as no other football team even came anywhere near the feeling I had watching LFC play.

It was the fact we were the best and that's why I followed, it was the whole family feeling with LFC owned by the Moore's, Rush/Dalglish/Hansen/Molby/Bruce.G etc.... the colour of our tops, the logo, the stadium .............. everything was just right.

I can't explain what LFC means to me, but it's a huge part of my life and also my kids life now too. Their bedroom, bed, walls, door is LFC covered............ it's awesome.

Liverpool 4 - 2 Bristol City
    Game date: 26.08.1959 Stadium: Anfield
    Competition: 2nd Division Attendance: 33,071
    Referee: Crawford E
    Starting line-up
    1 Bert Slater
    2 John Molyneux
    3 Ronnie Moran
    4 Barry Wilkinson
    5 **** White
    6 Geoff Twentyman
    7 Fred Morris
    8 Jimmy Melia
    9 Billy Liddell
    10 James Harrower
    11 Alan A' Court
    Goals
    Billy Liddell 4'
    Billy Liddell 30'
    Jimmy Melia 53' pen
    Alan A' Court 65'

This was the first game I was taken to
    Pity I don't remember anything about it
    I was only 5 at the time.

Wow some great stories here of peoples first games.

I can't remember my first game. All I know is that I was 4 when my dad finally took me (I used to cry at the window when he got picked up by his mate to go the game) so it was the 93/94 season. Don't know who we played or what happened but I remember walking across a muddy Stanley park on a foggy day. about 75 minutes into the game I told my dad I wanted to leave and go to mcdonalds.... Something he still brings up to this day and winds me up over.

tweepie is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Bump.
    YNWA

My first trip to Anfield was a special experience that I will never forget, well most of it anyway.

I was able to get into the kop as well.

Came over from the Emmerald Isle with a group of buddy's to grab my first Anfield experience. It wasn't my first game that I was privileged to see our great team play on the field, I was a student in Brum in the early nineties and I was able to see some games at Villa Park.

Boarded the bus at 7 a.m on the 12 Oct 2001, destination Cork Airport. Enjoyed a couple of early morning refreshments to set the banter off for the weekend.

Arrived into Liverpool mid afternoon and booked into the Aldelphy, checked in and went off to sample some of the cities watering holes.
    I must add there are many.

The morning of the match we were up early as tickets now became our main focus, that and a cure.
    It was Leeds and they were in good form but so were we. The kick off was at 12 so we had to scurry. Arrived at the ground and the place was buzzing, the colour was magnificent and everybody was in good spirits.

We grouped off into pairs to see about some tickets, we were haunted. Met a lovely chap with two tickets who could not attend the game so we bartered for awhile and secured 2 tickets. Looked at them and could not believe our eyes when we realised they were 2 tickets for the Kop, Brilliant.

Took our seats and started to lap up the atmosphere. The Kop would sing songs about different players and they in return would run down around the goal and clap up at the Kop. Magical.

The Anfield anthem was in full voice when both teams emerged back out of the tunnel for the kick off. The game started and the Craic was mighty, the banter coming from the Kop was very humorous and I was enjoying every minute of it.

At half time news started to filter through the old stand about Houllier being taken to hospital.

The game ended 1-1 and I got to see god link up with Murphy for our goal. Left feeling a bit upset with the news of the manager but I totally enjoyed the game and the experience of sitting in a place steeped in tradition and history.

Checked in with the rest of the group and we headed into the city for a few bevy's.

Everyone totally thrilled with the place and raring to come back soon.

Over ten years later and I have made it a tradition of my own to return every year to support the team.

Heading back over in January for the Norwich game and I can't wait. The place is like a drug but a good drug habit to have.

YNWA.

Socratease is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    Pure classic, enrico, top notch and ruddy brilliant to read mate!

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Well here I am amongst manymany fellow supporters I'm most jealous to be amongst I'm afraid.
    Being an aussie I have never had the pleasure of being in Kop singing with you all but I have from afar enjoyed listening to the chants/songs and my the manymany wins though bare compared to it once was.
    Naturally being a young footballer in my early teens playing Rep the highlight every season was an outing to the coachs/gaffas house for a bbq and importantly watch the FA Cup final which was on in the middle of the night - tuff for a young kid who after a days game, drinking good aussie beer you were struggling to keep awake by KOFF ! but come the 57th minute when Keegan scored the first of his brace I was wide awake !! Heighway,Toschack, Clemence I was RED forever on !
    Loved it even more when Craig Johnston was signed up in 81 - GO the ROO finally an aussie had broken the shackles from his ankles and got to be in the best club in the world my adopted club woohoo
    The highs that followed on were immense as we all know through the 80's and when he scored in the FACup final '86 I jumped up like a ******* madmen spilling my beer over everyone in utter delight he scored in a big one v's our neighbours !
    Many highs - Rushy - Kenny Robbie, I went to watch every game here in Sydney during his time here, sad at the end of his time but a Legend to us here none the less he still made a mockery of the defense and scored a cracker v's my local team and I was jumping again for joy though didn't spill my beer !

Walking up the stairs of my house where my kids sleep my wife framed for me the famous "This is Anfield" poster we bought a while ago at a auction proudly on the wall.

So its been near on 40yrs being an aussie Redman and I'm bitching to finally get to Anfield to live and breath the real thing !
    Planning an OS holiday for family to see my wife's relatives in Portugal and my 2 boys know Anfield will be on the schedule no doubt about it !!

Thankyou - YNWA !

My days of supporting Liverpool came in 1997 when as a 12 year old I was selected to play for my state.
    Met some guy from a few age groups older than me that congratulated me on my efforts of making the squad and asked who I went for in the Premier League. I just shrugged and said I dont know. He then told me that I needed to support someone if I was playing for my state and probably gave me the best advice Ive ever received in my life. He said "Anyone that knows nothing about football supports Manchester United" then proceeded to tell me I was now a Leeds fan. Well I was having none of that. I decided I was going to do a bit of research before choosing a team to support. Bought a few Shoot magazines from the UK and got reading them every week. Found that Liverpool had the biggest hatred of Man U so went with that as my selection. Also at the time a young Michael Owen was making a name for himself and decided I liked him (Not Anymore).
    So from there started the watching the highlights shows on Monday nights as that was all that was broadcast on TV in Australia. Then when we got the net a year or so later I was sneaking up at ridiculous hours just to read match updates as they came in. I think the first full match I was able to watch live was the 2001 FA Cup final with Owen scoring a late double to win it.
    Fortunately now Im able to watch every game live and have even got a great boss that allows me to start work later if my work starting time clashes with a Liverpool match!
    My dream is definately to watch a match from the Kop! May have my chance next year. Been planning for awhile now but may have the chance through the most unlikely circumstances. Next year Ill be getting married and my soon to be Sister in Law is moving to the UK. As Im in charge of the Honeymoon I suggested seeing her sister for a few days whilst in Europe and we now have a comprimise of going to a Liverpool game (or 2) and I have to put up with her sister on the Honeymoon for a few days (Well worth it to see my other true Love)
    YNWA

TheSoundLady is offline Optimistic Poster of the Season 2013-14
    My first vivid memory, sadly, is watching Liverpool 0 Arsenal 2, the last game of 1989. What a horrible earliest Liverpool memory. I know I'd been watching them with parents since I was 2 or 3, probably younger, but that''s the one that sticks out. What a horrible, horrible night after a horrible, horrible, horrible few months

Please indulge me this memory id like to share of my first game. Fittingly enough against County who we have just drawn in the cup...
    Mod's if ive posted in the wrong section could you move where appropriate?

20th Nov, 1982.

I was a fresh faced 14 year old boy, 3 days shy of my 15th birthday, when I boarded the Nottingham bound 141 bus.
    Clutched tightly in my hand was a ticket, not just any ticket but a ticket to see Notts County V Liverpool Fc, this young red was going to watch Liverpool Fc, my team, for the very first time.
    Quite possibly the best ever birthday present I could have had.

The hour long bus ride, my first trip to Nottingham without my parents, wandered through Robin Hood country but it was a blur.
    Mile upon mile flowed by as the excitement built up in my friend and I ……we were seeing the Reds.

We walked from Victoria Bus station, through the milling crowds up towards London Road and then we could see the end of our quest, Meadow Lane.
    Even to this day I do not recall walking inside the ground but once inside, I felt a weird sensation that I have never been able to explain.. The noise from the crowd was fantastic, insane, terrifying and everything in-between.
    How long we stood there, I could not say , voices on the loud speaker blurred into a babble of chatter that we paid no attention to, well, I’ll amend, that is until Grobbelaar “roar” Thompson “roar” Hansen “roar” Lawrenson… the cheers were deafening… Neal, Kennedy, Lee, Souness, Johnston, Dalglish and Rush… I was gobsmacked, unable to speak and just stood staring with eyes filled with tears until a man stood next to me, looked down and said “ Son, those there are heroes, cheer them on” I just went nuts jumping, shouting, cheering.. that memory will never ever leave me..

The game started and to be honest I remember little of it, the singing and shouting, the ooooo’s, referee’s a whatsit and all the rest. The travelling Kop left a mark on me that day and the pride I felt in seeing them, in hearing them, in being one of them, not being a 14 year old kid but being a Liverpool supporter, cannot be explained by me.

Second half had started and the Reds were kicking towards us. Stood behind the goal, I don’t know when I felt it but something was different. It was almost like the supporters were willing us to score… I understood what the 12th man was at that moment… the ball went to Craig Johnston then it was in the net… The travelling kop erupted, the noise, cheers, clapping, it was endless and besides all of that I felt a pride that we helped score that goal, I cant explain it any better, I felt pride.

I was already ecstatic as Johnston had scored and he was probably my favourite player at the time, bombing down the wing with his curly locks and seemingly endless energy but little did I know what was about to happen just two minutes later… ball was being passed about, pass and move, pass and move, Rushie to Kenny, to Lee, Souness in on the act, next moment the ball found King Kenny, who buried it….. I was stunned at the noise… Dalglish clap clap clap Dalglish… we were in awe… the living legend had scored.. King Kenny hugged his team mates and just before running back to the half way line, came down in front of us and waved with his cheeky grin then winked.. I like to think that it was for us and in a way it was….

I remember none of the rest of the game or of the journey home but I always have and will remember seeing my heroes and King Kenny play, and could he play. YNWA

thanks to the mod who moved this
    not my first memory of the Reds but will have to do
    Last edited by El Draco; 10-8-13 at 01:07.

Thank you for that, the reason for my post was that of remembering the past, unfortunately there are some who tend to reprimand us elders for our grammar and not recognise our history. One day we will be gone and all you will have to remind you is books and photographs. I like what you say about sitting next to that Evertonian.

Yes, now here I go into paragraphs whether needed or not, the days when Liverpool fans and Everton fans got together after the game seem to have long gone. My father taught me to respect others and that I still do, sadly that does not happen so much these days. I wonder whether men (or boys) still give up the seat on the bus these days and I still get annoyed when I see men walking inside to the lady on the pavement, something which I was teached to respect
    Yes, a pity the good humour between reds and blues has largely gone, it seems. Back in the sixties, me and my mate (an evertonian) would go to Anfield one week, and Goodison the nextů between girls/music/playing in a band (well, it was the sixties!). Odd being a 'neutral' one week, and then a supporter the next!

One of the first games I remember was watching Everton play Burnley on New Year's Day.in 1960??? The reason I remember it was it was Evertons biggest ever crowd 73000+
    I had been to quite a few Liverpool games before then. Saw my dad's hero Billy Liddell who I still consider Liverpools greatest ever player because he turned down riches to stay at Anfield when he could have named his own price or gone overseas and made a fortune. I used to go in the boys pen and I remember a guy used to stand at the back of the Kop with his mate who was blind . He would narrate detail by detail how the game was going and the blind guy would lap it up and jump up and down when Liverpool scored. Peter Thompson was my favourite from that 60s team . I used to feel sorry for the opposition right backs who week after week would be tied in knots by Peter. Cecil Irwin of Sunderland must have wished that he was injured when they played Liverpool as thommo would tie him in knots. The Saint was a player way ahead of his time , a great footballer and for someone so small a great header of the ball. The best header of a ball that I have ever seen was the late Tony Hateley. Came off his head like a shot and he was as brave as the come , diving in to head the ball amongst flying boots. I could go on and on. I have worked all over the world for the last 30+ years and I am still as keen as I was when I saw my first game with Billy Liddell. Can't imagine a life with Liverpool FC it wouldn't, be the same.