Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first recollection of being a Liverpool F.C. Supporter

1. #1 Liddell My first recollection of being a Liverpool F.C. Supporter 
    The first I can actually remember of realizing I was indeed a Liverpool supporter was the day my father (God Bless him, and he was an Evertonian) walked through the door one saturday evening in May 1950 proudly wearing a Liverpool rosette and scarf and a heavy wooden rattle decorated in red and white ribbons.

We had just been beaten to Arsenal 2-0 in the F.A. Cup Final and Dad had been to the game, I remember well his voice was hoarse, although he was an Everton fan he wanted Liverpool to win because he knew that I had become a Liverpool fan (although the date that happened I will never know). He gave me his souveniers and I proudly kept them for many years.

I did not start going to games for some years later because I had no money (in them days I got threepence pocket money).

Later, in 1953 my father got two tickets for the sixth round of the F.A. Cup Everton v Liverpool in an endeavour to convert me to becoming an Everton fan, we beat them (was it 4-0 or 5-0? I forget now in my old age), anyway, we stood in the paddock at Goodison Park, and to say the least I was "over the moon", Dad and his friends were quietly embarrassed by my behaviour and tried to quieten me down.

After the game we travelled by tram to my Aunt Mary's who lived in Everton Valley. On the tram I was still very excited and Dad again tried to quieten me but I would not give up my rattle (those elder supporters will remember that a rattle was a wooden device that we twirled around and it made an awful lot of noise) but the tram conducter came along and ordered me to maintain the peace !!! (he must have been an Everton fan also).

The days following were a wonderful memory of Liverpool F.C. and the glory days which were to follow. Yes, we spent many years in the second division and I used to go into the boys pen, then it was just 9p and we would climb over the railings into the kop.

In them days we would get as many as 35,000 for a second division game, such was the support for Liverpool. I was at the last game we played in the second division at Plymouth Argyle, at the invitation of Ronnie Yeates and met Bill Shankly for the first time. It took a little time for us to achieve success (attention you Rafa haters) but Shanks eventually got us there.

Went to the 1965 Cup Final, took dear old Dad and we had a great time (well remember sitting in the guards van on the train home (Dad was on the railroad and knew the guard) I sat on a case of beer and cried with joy all the way home, later gave the case of beer to the guard and ten shilling to the train driver for getting us back to Lime Street before the pubs closed. We were welcomed back to Liverpool by thousands and had a great time, went to my local the Broadgreen Abbey (built in 1848 and closed in the late 60's for the M62 motorway flyover). Later remember going to a club when Everton played in the Cup Final and was overjoyed when Sheffield Wednesday scored against Everton, then I remember my dear father and started to cheer for Everton, they went on to win, good old Dad, God Bless him.

Yes, I have many many memories of Liverpool F.C. but I also have many memories of football as it was in those days, there was no bigotry, yes we did boo the blues but at the end of the day we still went home together. I met Shanks a couple of times later and the last time he signed my left arm, was going to get it tattooed over but my girlfriend said No. Shanks was to me my hero, and today I feel that Rafa is ready to follow in his footsteps, watched Bob Paisley, Billy Liddel, Allan Acourt, Joe Fagan Albert Sidlow and all the rest. Yes, although I have now lived in Canada for the past 34 years I am as big a Liverpool fan as I was back in those dark days of the 50's

. My recreation room is decorated in red and white and I have pictures on the wall of myself with Shanks, Ian St John, and others on the wall along with trophies of our cup successes. I wear Liverpool shirts when I play golf and often get ribbed by our club pro who is a Man U fan (but I am slowly converting him), on the golf course people often ask me about my shirts (they are the Euro final of 2005 and one bears the five stars of our Euro glories and I proudly tell them of my team. I have a ball marker (for the golf initiated) which bears the Liverpool insignia, also have Liverpool F.C. golf balls which I refuse to use but are proudly displayed on my golf bag. Yes, even although I am now in my late 60's I am so very proud to be a Liverpool fan. I hope I have not bored you youngsters with my ramblings, but maybe when you are as old as me you to will have such wonderful memories to pass along, alas I will not be around to hear them...YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE (by-the-way, I remember the day that was first sung on the kop
    Last edited by enrico; 3-10-08 at 13:48.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

I remember I was almost poached for the bitter half of the city by an uncle. Luckily, my dad set me straight soon after.

Good story btw. Repped.

Quote Originally Posted by enrico View Post
    is that better?
    perfect, sound job. Enjoyed the read aswell, would like to hear about the first You'll never walk alone aswell....

koki-Reds17 is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PillBoxHat View Post
    perfect, sound job. Enjoyed the read aswell, would like to hear about the first You'll never walk alone aswell....
    that I do remember

I could only hear the last 30 seconds of YNWA on the tv

and that was good enough for me

IN THAT TIME
    Last edited by koki-Reds17; 4-10-08 at 13:51. Reason: wtf??? :)

foreverred-1973 is online now 100% Concentrated
    I enjoyed reading it Enrico!!

COME ON YOU REDS

Believe it was against Leicester City, they were our bogey club and the song came out of nowhere we were getting beat 1-0 and came back and won 2-1and just built up into an incendo immediately..It was at the time when we used to sing ee-aye-addio ditties which were absolutely marvelous

good stuff i like the way it just burst out like that, nothing pre-meditated just pure connection to the team in that moment.

fa cup final vs manure the whit jacket one and david james falling over and that goal

It had hoped to be my wish to write my recollections along with 1935RED but unfortunately he is so very ill. I had hoped that we would be able to put our recollections together and then meet up and have it printed in the Liverpool programme when we got together, hopefully in the new stadium. Unfortunately that is not going to happen, the new stadium is still a long way away (and I may not be around to see it) and 1935RED will not be around for much longer I am disappointed to say.

Thanks for writing that Enrico. Sharing these memories is one of the best things about forums like this one. Plenty of younger supporters won't have heard of the boys pen or

A few years ago I was on a bus to Anfield and got chatting to an old Evertonian. It was at the time that ourselves and the blues were vying for the final Champions League place and every point was vital.

My fellow passenger told me about watching the blues one week and the reds the next. Even though he was clearly passionate about his team he had no problem in wishing us luck as I prepared to get off. In fact, I was the one who struggled to reciprocate, such has been the polarisation between the two clubs.

Of the 2 approaches I prefer Enrico's dads and that of my companion on the bus. I wonder if we'll ever get there again?

Fantastic post Enrico.

Thank you for that, the reason for my post was that of remembering the past, unfortunately there are some who tend to reprimand us elders for our grammar and not recognise our history. One day we will be gone and all you will have to remind you is books and photographs. I like what you say about sitting next to that Evertonian.

Yes, now here I go into paragraphs whether needed or not, the days when Liverpool fans and Everton fans got together after the game seem to have long gone. My father taught me to respect others and that I still do, sadly that does not happen so much these days. I wonder whether men (or boys) still give up the seat on the bus these days and I still get annoyed when I see men walking inside to the lady on the pavement, something which I was teached to respect

Thank you Enrico, enjoyed that read, much appreciated.
    Certainly the game was purer back then off the field and had a range of players that could probably play in any era from footage I've seen and what my old man tells me.
    Billy Liddell was always his favourite
    I hope when I'm getting on in years I can write or talk so vividly about the team as you do.
    I'll be talking about Gerrard or Torres or Pepe no doubt with the same passion.
    YNWA

enrico, A great post about a great time. Really enjoyable and true. Have some
    rep.

YNWA

at last I am getting recognized not about my grammar but my memories. Love u Bilsland and we will surely spend many more hours recollecting not only my time , and 1935RED times, but your times. These times are precious.

ceredred is offline Welsh dolphin-whisperer
    A truly wonderful post Enrico,it helped me envisage what my Grandad must of experianced way back before Liverpool hit the dizzy heights in the sixties.

Thankyou once again for sharing your memories.

Thanks Enrico,

Great read. I remember the boys pen too mate. You are older than me as i started going to matches when very young in the 70`s. Great read thanks for the post and admire your patience.

Great post enrico, i always love reading the memories of our time served Redmen.

I hope you make it over to see the mighty Reds again soon, but in the meantime, please pass on my sincere best wishes to 1935RED, i hope he can pull through this.

YNWA

Enjoyed reading that enrico, I celebrated the 40th anniversary of going to my first match yesterday, but I'm a good 15 or more years behind you!
    I wish I could have seen the great Billy Liddell in action

So sorry to hear about 1935red, I didn't realise he was so poorly
    Last edited by KOPGIRL1971; 3-10-08 at 22:36.

i have numerous in depth discussions about football, you talk about how much you hate mancs. who posts for no reason?

Last edited by ceredred; 3-10-08 at 18:01. Reason: Because I can,and did so

Good read enrico,

I first realized i was a liverpool fan when we won our second european cup in 1978, the players were parading around the city and everywhere you looked was red as far as the eye could see. I was only about 4 at the time and i was sitting on my dads shoulders to see everything, my family are from stoneycroft and my dad said all of our street was empty as all our street were reds fans. That's my earliest memory and realized i was a fan because my dad was, and i connected by dads happyness with liverpool fc so it's why i love this club so much and always will. When i got married and had my sons my hubby and i got them supporting the reds as early as we could, now the family is one big red family

Nice read do0d.

Chickenliver,due to some poor remarks towards Enrico's thread I assumed you were doing the same.

I am sorry for not seeing the humour in your deleted post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceredred View Post
    Chickenliver,due to some poor remarks towards Enrico's thread I assumed you were doing the same.

I am sorry for not seeing the humour in your deleted post.
    Thats o.k ceredred, it was a really nice post from enrico and just hate when you get some on here mocking things, my view is if you don't like the thread don't reply to it even more so with a negative reply it's just down right rude

Thanks, Enrico. Paragraphs or not, that was a nice read. It's a shame some of the MB 'Elite' think they're important enough to be rude to anyone that's not in their little clique.

Sorry to hear about your friend not having long left!

YNWA

Fantastic post mate, really sums up your generation (in a good way i hasten to add)

YNWA

that was wonderful to read, enrico, thank you

thoughts and the best of wishes to 1935 x

Lovely post mate, it was a nice read.

Craig:

http://www.pc.rhul.ac.uk/staff/j.bal...er%20Brain.jpg

Much enjoyable read Enrico, i do like to listen (or read) about peoples memories from years ago.

My Uncle told me some great stories of Liverpool in the 60's and 70's and i wish i was born then to see the greats like Heighway, Fairclough, Liddell, Emlyn Hughes and many more, but i am really lucky to have seen King Kenny, Rush, Barnes etc, i chat to my son's friends who support Liverpool "Do you remember Kenny Dalglish? Rush? Barnes?" and they say no and im like shaking my head in disbelief that they missed out on watching 3 top top players ever to play for Liverpool.

My first ever recollection of supporting Liverpool was when i was 7 years old, European Cup final against Juventus, i could'nt understand what and why about the events prior to kick off, even though it was a tragic night on and off the pitch Liverpool have always been in my heart, funny thing is in the 1986 World Cup i supported Argentina, i was'nt old enough to understand i have to support England (where i'm from) but the year previous i KNEW i supported the right club.