Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My first recollection of being a Liverpool F.C. Supporter

belfast_kopite is offline Armchair supporter
    I remember getting a Liverpool top with Owen 10 on the back must have been about 6 or 7 at the time soon after my uncle took me to me first game I got my face painted half red half white with fowlers name on one cheek and Heskeys on the other we lost 2-0 at home to Leicester but still that's the year I fell in love with Liverpool.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

2-0 at home to leicester i cant recall that ? was that maybe 2002-03 season? my first memories were the green and white checkered adidas away kit fowlers died blonde hair, also the cream top we got a few years after i grew up with robbie as my hero along with collymore n macca. i vaguely remember teh 95 cup win but first time i truly took in a liverpool trophy win was the famous treble year!!

Not the first, but the earliest that affected me, being 7.

Being on holiday in Abersoch when it was announced on the radio that Kevin Keegan had moved to somewhere else....

Was upset for a couple of days,

however his replacement was quiet good.

Thanks for the chance to relive memories Enrico.

I'd love someone to confirm there was a toilet at the back of the Kop where kids would crawl on their knees, 10 foot up on a brick wide wall to escape the atrocities of the boy's pen.
    Climbing over the wire mesh to get into the Kop was great if you could avoid the copper guarding it - never managed it myself - I was more likely to be standing near him for protection. Can't remember my first game in the Kop but I used to go behind the goal a couple of sections up and when the crowd did Clap-clap, clap-clap-clap, clap-clap-clap ST JOHN, from where I was, it was like a 21 gun salute with 22,000 guns. Awesome!
    The singing used to start at at 10 to 2 and there was an order to the songs. Up to a couple of years ago I could have told you the order (I still know the words) but most of them are still sung now.
    My dad took me to my first game in the Kop. Walking up Everton Valley for a night match with a bit of mist or rain the sounds of the Kop would roll down the hill to beckon you on. I remember the first Inter Milan game where we were cheated by the officials (since jailed) singing "We'll hang the referee from the Kop - BY HIS BALLS!" with my dad behind be, hopefully smiling, or maybe even joining in.

Possibly my proudest moment was when Shankly retired and stood in the Kop for a game. At the end he came tumbling down the terrace with the weight of fans and I like to think I threw myself in front of the barrier to stop him going into it.

Robinredshanks -thanks for the memory of Leeds winning the title at Anfield and us chanting CHAMPIONS, CHAMPIONS at them. We would also have been chanting "We all hate Leeds and Leeds, and Leeds, Leeds and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds. We all Fn hate Leeds" (Dambusters tune).
    It probably wouldn't have happened with a fancy Dan London team - but we've celebrated individual London-based players like Zola and Klinsmann. We celebrate class because WE are class!

What El Draco said in Message 58 is spot on. "the game started and to be honest I remember little of it, the singing and shouting, the ooooo’s, referee’s a whatsit and all the rest. The travelling Kop left a mark on me that day and the pride I felt in seeing them, in hearing them, in being one of them, not being a 14 year old kid but being a Liverpool supporter, cannot be explained by me."

... is all so true and so important. We can affect the game; we are one with the players; we can make their defenders panic and make mistakes; we can make the officials give US the decisions; we can make our players go the extra yard (or we can do the opposite and have a go at them).

One other lovely memory I have is, from the days of the standing Kop, a bald headed bloke walking down an alley down to the right of the Kop being hit by a hot pie, launched from I reckon, 50 foot, landing on the top of his head to a mighty roar - and I've no idea why we all looking that way at the time.

What a fantastic read Enrico thank you.

I started in the early 1970's. reading these posts brings back so many memories. Couple of mine.

Vs Barcelona Uefa Cup semi final 1976 final. I fell off my stool in the paddock and split my leg. Hauled out onto the cinder track and was taken to the medical centre, which at the time was in the corner between the Main Stand and Anfield road end. I would have been 7 years old, but i can remember vividly standing up at pitch side and hobbling down the cinder track, whilst watching Cruyff, Neeskins and all the LFC players who were playing right beside, and the linesman shooing myself and the ambulance lady out of the way.

leads me onto one of my favourite matches at Anfield, which is often overlooked, and that was the 1976 Uefa final vs Bruges 1st leg. 0-2 down and recovered to win 3-2. I always feel that game is overlooked a bit because of what followed in 1977. For some reason i always remember thinking how cool Ray Clemence looked that night with a bright yellow Jersey against red shorts and red socks. funny what sticks in your mind.

Scotland vs Wales anybody 1978....wow.....

My first memory was watching Steve McManaman tear up a Southampton side!
    http://www.footyaways.com/bpl-stadiums/liverpool-fc-anfield/

My first recollection was that stunning goal from Rush against manu . Loking back at it now it was some goal.Another great recollection from my childhood was Ray Houghton's goal for Ireland against Italy in the 1994 World cup.

Socratease is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by enrico View Post
    Thanks for your replies, but not many of you are sharing your recollections of becoming a Liverpool supporter. It doesn't have to be twenty or thirty years ago, it could be as recent as this year. How you became one is of interest to me.....
    Hi, enrico, I am now on another operating system but I now have the original email address connection restored - please contact me on it, if you wish to.

YNWA

Last edited by Socratease; 30-9-14 at 00:30.
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates.

finebobo is offline Armchair supporter
    I'm very happy to be a liverpool fan
    when we win im happy but when we loose I'm quite sorrowful but I believe this season is ours. Please Mr manager lets focuss on winning alone a d nothing less . let us begin to start reforming to be the winner. Amiable players please try to be moltivated. I believe lfc have the right coach and the best players.

maf1910 is offline Armchair supporter
    1974 Cup final v Newcastle . Watched it on Black & White TV we totally played them off the park. I was fan way before this but this game always sticks in my heads, shanks waving hands on then bench and the track suits the where wearing.

horse01 is offline Armchair supporter
    When I started going to see Liverpool in 1974 there is one thing stands out in my mind that is the singing. The KOP was almost full by 14:30 and the singing was in full swing. I attended up until the mid eighties when the family came along. I started to attend again a few years ago I thought I went to the wrong ground there was barely any singing up to about 14:50 as the ground was only filling up by that stage. I would love to go back to the old way and have standing again and get the noise going.

it was on the 26th of march 1988
    i went to my first game at home to Wimbledon in the paddock which is now the centenary

and i went to my first away game on the 5th of may at Highfield Road Coventry city .

I was born and brought up in London but my father was a Scouser and an exiled Koppite raised in Toxteth. Hebrought me up 'in the faith' and I've remained a devoted fanatic ever since. My first memory is a bitter one, I was about 7. It was a Division 2 game in the 50's at Charlton. We got whupped 5-1. It was Gerry Byrne's debut and he scored an own goal! Many great memories have followed though, including the first Cup win and all the League, Cup and Euro triumphs since. Thanks Dad.

tweepie is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    Bump.

I love reading these stories.
    YNWA

My first recollection was those white suits when I was 5yrs old.

Been traumatised ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by enrico View Post
    The first I can actually remember of realizing I was indeed a Liverpool supporter was the day my father (God Bless him, and he was an Evertonian) walked through the door one saturday evening in May 1950 proudly wearing a Liverpool rosette and scarf and a heavy wooden rattle decorated in red and white ribbons.

We had just been beaten to Arsenal 2-0 in the F.A. Cup Final and Dad had been to the game, I remember well his voice was hoarse, although he was an Everton fan he wanted Liverpool to win because he knew that I had become a Liverpool fan (although the date that happened I will never know). He gave me his souveniers and I proudly kept them for many years.

I did not start going to games for some years later because I had no money (in them days I got threepence pocket money).

Later, in 1953 my father got two tickets for the sixth round of the F.A. Cup Everton v Liverpool in an endeavour to convert me to becoming an Everton fan, we beat them (was it 4-0 or 5-0? I forget now in my old age), anyway, we stood in the paddock at Goodison Park, and to say the least I was "over the moon", Dad and his friends were quietly embarrassed by my behaviour and tried to quieten me down.

After the game we travelled by tram to my Aunt Mary's who lived in Everton Valley. On the tram I was still very excited and Dad again tried to quieten me but I would not give up my rattle (those elder supporters will remember that a rattle was a wooden device that we twirled around and it made an awful lot of noise) but the tram conducter came along and ordered me to maintain the peace !!! (he must have been an Everton fan also).

The days following were a wonderful memory of Liverpool F.C. and the glory days which were to follow. Yes, we spent many years in the second division and I used to go into the boys pen, then it was just 9p and we would climb over the railings into the kop.

In them days we would get as many as 35,000 for a second division game, such was the support for Liverpool. I was at the last game we played in the second division at Plymouth Argyle, at the invitation of Ronnie Yeates and met Bill Shankly for the first time. It took a little time for us to achieve success (attention you Rafa haters) but Shanks eventually got us there.

Went to the 1965 Cup Final, took dear old Dad and we had a great time (well remember sitting in the guards van on the train home (Dad was on the railroad and knew the guard) I sat on a case of beer and cried with joy all the way home, later gave the case of beer to the guard and ten shilling to the train driver for getting us back to Lime Street before the pubs closed. We were welcomed back to Liverpool by thousands and had a great time, went to my local the Broadgreen Abbey (built in 1848 and closed in the late 60's for the M62 motorway flyover). Later remember going to a club when Everton played in the Cup Final and was overjoyed when Sheffield Wednesday scored against Everton, then I remember my dear father and started to cheer for Everton, they went on to win, good old Dad, God Bless him.

Yes, I have many many memories of Liverpool F.C. but I also have many memories of football as it was in those days, there was no bigotry, yes we did boo the blues but at the end of the day we still went home together. I met Shanks a couple of times later and the last time he signed my left arm, was going to get it tattooed over but my girlfriend said No. Shanks was to me my hero, and today I feel that Rafa is ready to follow in his footsteps, watched Bob Paisley, Billy Liddel, Allan Acourt, Joe Fagan Albert Sidlow and all the rest. Yes, although I have now lived in Canada for the past 34 years I am as big a Liverpool fan as I was back in those dark days of the 50's

. My recreation room is decorated in red and white and I have pictures on the wall of myself with Shanks, Ian St John, and others on the wall along with trophies of our cup successes. I wear Liverpool shirts when I play golf and often get ribbed by our club pro who is a Man U fan (but I am slowly converting him), on the golf course people often ask me about my shirts (they are the Euro final of 2005 and one bears the five stars of our Euro glories and I proudly tell them of my team. I have a ball marker (for the golf initiated) which bears the Liverpool insignia, also have Liverpool F.C. golf balls which I refuse to use but are proudly displayed on my golf bag. Yes, even although I am now in my late 60's I am so very proud to be a Liverpool fan. I hope I have not bored you youngsters with my ramblings, but maybe when you are as old as me you to will have such wonderful memories to pass along, alas I will not be around to hear them...YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE (by-the-way, I remember the day that was first sung on the kop
    Excellent post, my grandfather and dad turned me to the red half from about 6 years old and between them took me to the games in the 70s . Still love dad telling about Inter Milan , lost grandad a good while ago but he was all ways talking about Liddelpool. And in the early 90s when I had a permit for the park grandad would always go up to Billy who also parked there with his family and say hello. I got a picture with all 3 of us with Billy and treasure it. Still remember a mini bus dropping a load off they saw us getting the photo taken and heard one saying who's the old fella with them 3!

benyvfifa is offline Armchair supporter
    I am a Turkish man who supports Besiktas domestically and Liverpool continentally. The time I became a LFC fan is when that long range and last minute goal from Steven Gerrard came in FA cup final in 2006. One player can make a supporter this way.

Quote Originally Posted by benyvfifa View Post
    I am a Turkish man who supports Besiktas domestically and Liverpool continentally. The time I became a LFC fan is when that long range and last minute goal from Steven Gerrard came in FA cup final in 2006. One player can make a supporter this way.
    Welcome to the forums, benyvfifa. Like you, I fell for LFC after an FA Cup final, in my case, the final in 1965 (couple of glory-hunters, aren't we? ) although, to be fair, I had started watching them the year before. So, I have been a fan for more than 50 years now.

Keep the faith in the Redmen

Quote Originally Posted by KOPGIRL1971 View Post
    Welcome to the forums, benyvfifa. Like you, I fell for LFC after an FA Cup final, in my case, the final in 1965 (couple of glory-hunters, aren't we? ) although, to be fair, I had started watching them the year before. So, I have been a fan for more than 50 years now.

Keep the faith in the Redmen
    Me too .. FA Cup final 1971. We lost, which makes me the antithesis of a glory hunter

Welcome to the boards benyvfifa if you are still around .. LOVE your country .. have been to Istanbul many times, and Antalya once. Beautiful place.