Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remembering Heysel

Quote Originally Posted by Simo429 View Post
    Ive read and heard many first hand accounts about there being plenty of brummies for the game
    Yes lad and quite a lot of David Hockneys as well...........and as i had worked in the `smoke` and knew practically all of the `London branch` of the LFC supporters club at the time i can assure you that we did not have a scooby doo who any of these odd bods were...........when we tried to engage in chat with them they became evasive and shifty.....they were deffo 100% NOT Liverpool regulars, and i doubt if they could have named any of our history or tradition either.......i noticed the same in Paris in 81 as well, but on a smaller scale, there were a gang of Villa fans [ they admitted so, even though they sported brand new LFC gear] that caused agro and robbed stuff in a bar in Montmartre.....this caused a bit of embarassment to some mates of ours that were living in the area and had invited us over [ dead cosmopolitan and bohemian us scousers like] but fortunately the bar manager was worldy wise and accepted our profound apologies for the ********,

Like i said, these morons appeared to attach themselves to LFC when we appeared in `big` matches [ although unsurprisingly they didn`t show when we were in Bucharest for the semi-final in 84......about 500 of us managed to get through the strict hard-line communist border forces at the airport...a lot were returned on the next flights back to Zurich....not because they were known hoolies but because they had American and Canadian visa stamps in their passports....one i bizarrely heard of was refused entry as he had been stamped in the Soviet Union!]

My take on it is that they used us to show their daft xenophobic superior attitude to `Johnny Foreigner`because their normal bandwagon ,Team England, never used to qualify for Tournaments hardly back then never mind never get further than a quarter final......so they would turn up, especially at easy accessible places like Paris, Brussels etc. and act the `big un`,
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by lenniemac View Post
    Thanks Matt CM. Hope it didn't bore you too much.
    Simo.. no arguments on other supporters being at Heysel.. the mate said he saw a few diferent shirts around the ground, but I can't remember which ones now. The only ones I saw where two young lads (younger than me at 22) with Arsenal shirts on..

Yankfield...ok.. I will hold my hands up that there was more trouble than I knew of in Rome...I was relatively lucky in that once in the coach park I overheard some bloke saying to someone "this ones going to the train station" so we jumped on that bus.. 5 minutes max after coming out of the ground, if that.
    And I did seem to know a few walter mittys who claimed they where having mass brawls with Roma fans outside the exit and gave the police a kicking etc... just seemed a bit far fetched.

So a retraction from me of the exageration of the Roma situation, I accept what you say.

Still think that the amount of Liverpool supporters who have passed comment .. even an RIP 39.. is pretty crap... we want the world to give us justice for the 96 but havent respected the 39.
    Off my soapbox now... by the way Yankfield... I did like your accounts of Heysel.. Simo told me to read it.
    Alright lad,
    I can only write what i experienced, and the anger i still feel about these events and the fact that as a club we bore all of the condemnation initially until a lot of facts came to light thanks to Merseyside Police investigations and not only were some arrested in Liverpool and other parts of the UK [Scotland, London and East Anglia i recall] but the stadium officials and top brass from the Belgian FA were stripped of their jobs and even jailed....

Dunno about brawling with the bizzies in 84....suffice to say they were Roma bizzies...in Roma.....and we were the opposing club to Roma.....they were not too chuffed that we had beaten Roma.....nuff said,

Too little, too late.........especially for the victims and families....and also for us Reds that experienced the horrific events,
    Last edited by Yankfield; 2-6-10 at 20:45.

A very sad day indeed. I remember being so knackered with booze i fell asleep on this grass verge near a roundabout. I was with my mate and hundreds of Liverpool fans. All i remember is my mate shaking me and saying look!

I looked and saw a car with about 6 Juventus nutters hanging out the windows one of them had a machette and stuck his tougue out, he then glided the blade about an inch away from his throat from side to side.

I couldn't believe it, and i knew something was not right about the day. I still have my ticket intact, the one with the liver bird pointed to the left (forged tickets had it the other way around) i never even showed it to the man on the crappy turnstile.

What a mess the stadium was, chicken wire and sandy stuff around the perimeter. The place was falling to bits. I was confused as to why my ticket had the Z block erased out. Liverpool had asked for about 27 thousand or more tickets; i think we got about 17 thousand.

Someone told me the Italians were paying up to three times more for theirs as we were. Whether thats true i don't know but it makes you wonder if the authorities were trying to cash in. If we would have had that end alone then i believe those fans would still be alive today.

From where i was i could see loads of Ron atkinson funny flags, but i could also see a lot of intimidation from the fans (especially the Italians) but it was two way. It seemed to me Liverpool fans had had enough and simply charged. The ones at the side and back away from the thin railing seperating the two sets of supporters, came off worst as everyone headed that way.

The building could not take the force and the wall gave way. To hear that was unbelievebly sickening. What happend is history and i don't want to add to the excellent accounts of some posters. To me though if only the powers that be would have listened and not been so greedy then it would have been so different. So who has blood on their hands?

I was so upset, me and my mate decided not to watch the game, hundreds of Liverpool fans left early too. It just seemed pointless to watch a game of football after that. This event in history should never have happend, but it did. It had a profound effect on my life and i stayed away from the game for about five years.

I am so glad there is now a plaque of rememberence for people to see. We should never forget the events of that tragic night. To the 39 families who still grieve, my heartfelt condolences and your loved ones will never be forgotten. Time can heal but nothing can take away precious memories of loved ones we have lost.
    Last edited by Shank'saguddun; 5-6-10 at 11:28.

god bless those who died

YNWA
    NEVER FORGOTTEN BOTH HEYSEL AND HILLSBOROUGH

Just read all the posts here aout their personal experiences with Heysel, very intriguing accounts.

Once again, thanks for all the posts, keeping a thread like this on the front page is very important I believe, Heysel should never be forgotten.

YNWA
    39 & 96

I have read every post here now and to all of you, very well written and for those of us not born when that happend and not knowing all the facts fully i thank you for the good posts.

39 & 96

i know arsenal fans said it wasnt fit for purpose about a month before was it? however aparently if the wall hadnt of collapsed many more could of died,

Once again, I do feel it neccessary to have the Heysel disaster on the first page.
    Btw, this is not a plea to have this as a sticky either. Im in fact, completely against that notion as this is a Hillsborough forum.

But I do believe Heysel deserves recognition.

Here's a couple of interesting points from an article I read http://uefa.theoffside.com/europe/he...kest-hour.html .
    The points I signal out are aspects of the disaster and reasons behind Liverpool's defence of the tragedy.
    Just curious to know peoples thoughts on the 4 ideas of: Rome 84, Cockney Invasion, Hooliganism and UEFA as the main contributers to the death of 39 people at Heysel in '85:

- While UEFA simply laid the entirety of the blame at the feet of Liverpool supporters, the attempts by some Liverpool fans to shift blame for what happened are more varied. Obviously, insisting that the conditions were the main cause is the same approach that UEFA took, with a different conclusion. Many of the other excuses are ‘yes, but’ qualifiers.

- One factor often cited is the previous year’s European Cup Final in Rome. After Liverpool defeated Roma in a penalty shoot out, Liverpool fans were apparently attacked by some of Roma’s ultras upon leaving the stadium. The memory of the previous year’s violence supposedly contributed to some Liverpool fans taking a more ‘guarded’ approach to the entirely different set of Italian fans. I have never understood why this could remotely serve as an excuse when it seems closer to an admission. Unless the exact same individuals that attacked Liverpool fans in Rome were present in Brussels, they were two completely unrelated things. By applying some vague notions of vigilance or vengeance to the Juventus fans, simply because they also happened to be Italian, all this attitude did was make an already confrontational traveling fan culture even more hostile.

- Another popular claim is that the Liverpool supporters were infiltrated by ‘cockneys,’ National Front attached Chelsea, Millwall, and West Ham supporters, and the infiltrators were responsible for the actual violence. I believe this theory is mostly based on the fact that organized hooligan firms, like the Chelsea Headhunters for example, weren’t attached to football in Liverpool. As far as I know, there has never been any serious evidence in support of this theory. It might easily be waved away as desperation, except that it has proved quite a persistent myth, and, as Dave Hill wrote in Out of His Skin, the club itself offered this theory as an explanation of what happened.

- A more plausible qualifier in the Liverpool fan’s defense is that English hooliganism was at its apex during this era, and that any other English club could have just as easily caused this disaster. Nick Hornby, in Fever Pitch, wholly agreed with this sentiment. Given the propensity of other English fans to single Liverpool out, especially in the form of partisan banter, I think this is a fair objection to the treatment of the tragedy. In 1985, the atmosphere surrounding English football was at its most poisonous and violent (the Kenilworth Road riot, which caused Luton Town to completely ban away fans for a number of years, also took place during 84-85), and Liverpool were hardly the first English club to cause trouble on the continent. Just a couple of other notable examples: Leeds were banned from European competition after their fans rioted after their 1975 European Cup Final defeat to Bayern Munich, and during the 70s and 80s Manchester United’s Red Army routinely rampaged through whatever city was unfortunate enough to host them. So yes, the implication that Heysel was a unique set of circumstances caused by Liverpool fans, rather than Heysel was the inevitable consequence of an unchecked culture of violence is an unfair view to take. Of course, this does nothing to alter the fact that Liverpool was the club in Belgium and their fans were responsible for the violence on that particular night.

Any thoughts, feel free to discuss...

YNWA 96 & 39

i wasnt even born when this incident happened, but i can feel the pain, as though i was there, the pain of death. the hurt of the italians. the hurt of the fans. the hurt of their friends. the hurt of their familes. to the 39,
    You'll Never Walk Alone,
    God Bless You.
    Please Forgive Us.

MasterRockyPunk.

We are now in the week of the 26th anniversary of the Heysel Disaster (29 May 1985)....

Heysel is unfortunately apart of our history and despite the shame of it, we should always remember.

Let this week be remembered.

YNWA 39.

IN MEMORIA E AMICIZIA
    IN MEMORY AND FRIENDSHIP

Rocco Acerra
    Bruno Balli
    Alfons Bos
    Giancarlo Bruschera
    Andrea Casula
    Giovanni Casula
    Nino Cerullo
    Willy Chielens
    Guiseppina Conti
    Dirk Daenecky
    Dionisio Fabbro
    Jacques Francois
    Eugenio Gagliano
    Francesco Galli
    Giancarlo Gonnelli
    Alberto Guarini
    Giovacchino Landini
    Roberto Lorentini
    Barbara Lusci
    Franco Martelli
    Loris Messore
    Gianni Mastrolaco
    Sergio Bastino Mazzino
    Luciano Rocco Papaluca
    Luigi Pidone
    Bento Pistolato
    Patrick Radcliffe
    Domenico Ragazzi
    Antonio Ragnanese
    Claude Robert
    Mario Ronchi
    Domenico Russo
    Tarcisio Salvi
    Gianfranco Sarto
    Guiseppe Spalaore
    Mario Spanu
    Tarcisio Venturin
    Jean Michel Walla
    Claude Zavaroni

Rest In Peace
    YNWA

I have found myself getting really rather emotional reading these accounts of the day as i did with the recounting of the Hillsborough disaster by those that were there on these forums.

Sobering words; thankyou all.

YNWA

Simmo05 is offline Armchair supporter
    We will never forget. R. I. P. 39

YNWA
    Last edited by Simmo05; 30-5-11 at 16:26.

R.I.P, never forgotten.

YNWA

R.i.p
    ynwa

To every individual who perished or suffered, including their families and friends; in memory of 39 fellow football fans who sadly never returned home.

You will be forever in our thoughts.

IN MEMORIA E AMICIZIA

YNWA

It is disappointing there are so few posts. I have already had my say.

R.I.P 39

Rest in peace.

aylesbyred is online now Boot Room insider
    Ynwa

Rip

Ynwa

Rest in Peace
    ynwa

changeaname is offline Academy prospect
    Interesting to read first hand accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by changeaname View Post
    Interesting to read first hand accounts.
    and terrifying.

awful.

RIP

As A kid I remmeber watching but not understanding what had happened, and the full extent of the horror. The match should have not gone ahead, as neither team wanted to play, and really didn't play to their ability, due to the circumstances.

My heart go's out to fans from both sides, their families and loved ones, esp those that were lost due to this tragedy.

YNWA

RIP

The logic at the time was if the match was cancelled this would somehow lead to more violence! The authorities thought if the match went ahead it would somehow defuse the situation?

By the time I had got into the ground the disaster had already happened. It was clear there had been a riot but no one around me realised people had died. I assumed the delay was a decoy to keep us in the ground whilst they massed what appeared to be the entire Belgium police and army. Riot police, a cavalry regiment of mounted police and helicopters flying overhead. At one point I thought they were preparing to make a charge.

It still baffles me why Juventus supporters put up with the charade of match when they clearly knew about the deaths.

As the match concluded there was a rush for the exits as the police finally moved forward. WMy coach was one of the last to leave, as everyone bar a couple had got back quickly. People started talking about deaths and we were anxious to get away expecting revenge attacks by Italians or the police finally growing some ****. Eventually the missing couple strolled up without a care in the World, can't believe they had been to game.

When we got to the French border the CRS (French riot police) got on and started throwing the weight around - confiscating duty free.

When we got to Calais more riot police and journalists.

The ferry trip back was awful as we came into contact with general public - nothing was said but the shame was painful.

Dover, a few police but loads of journalsts.

First motorway stop chance to phone- tell parents your ok.

Back home - nowhere to hide- dressed up in red and white- obvious who you were and where you had been. Finally home my World had been turned upside down it was supposed to be a football match - shower and cry!

It is shocking to realise the number of peole who have died in disasters at football stadiums the majority victims of negligence by those in authority!

R.I.P
    Last edited by wotnot2; 26-6-11 at 18:28.

terrible day for us and football.

RIP.

its upsetting that people die following the team they love and every liverpool fan knows what its like for supporters to never return from watching their beloved team i know that every fan of liverpool fc hope the 39 juventus fans who are now sadly no longer with us will rest in peace and we all ask for forgiveness from the darkest hour of european history
    also respect is given to all the friends and family of the 39 plus the 600 who were injured

sometimes life just isn't fair

AMICIZIA(friendship)

Rip ynwa

In memory of all those who lost their lives on this anniversary date at Heysel.... YNWA.

IN MEMORIA E AMICIZIA
    IN MEMORY AND FRIENDSHIP

Rocco Acerra
    Bruno Balli
    Alfons Bos
    Giancarlo Bruschera
    Andrea Casula
    Giovanni Casula
    Nino Cerullo
    Willy Chielens
    Guiseppina Conti