Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remembering Heysel

*Wolfy* is online now The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    rip

ynwa
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

There seems to be a worryingly high number of peopler who seek to justify Hillsborough on the basis of Heysel. Even amongst the Juventus fans themselves, when we presented the friendship banner to them, there was apparently a Juve banner being held up in their end with the date of Hillsborough on it saying something like 'God does exist'. How can they detest us for that with such a banner of display. Either human life is precious or it isn't (my 2 cents on that one).

The point though is that we have been punished and we accepted it. We have accepted our responsibililty (albeit very late in an official sense) and our offer of a banner to the Juventus fans is a damn site more than anything we have received in the 20+ years since Hillsborough.

What I'm trying to get across is that, short of publicly flogging ourselves in the street, or offering to even things up by lining up 39 of our fans to be executed by Juventus supporters, what more are we supposed to do? I'd like to see a little more made of the date EVERY year in official channels, maybe a ceremony or prayers offered, but how far must we go? Yes, Heysel should be an occasion for apologies. In fact I see it as a symbol of the occasions when all humans have to look at themselves, reflect, and then admit their failings - but what is the point in any of this we don't use this to improve ourselves as people.

All clubs have some 'fans' who will use any excuse to just hate supporters of another club and that will never change; but amongst those of us living in the civilised world I'd hope we can still bring the fans of both clubs closer together.

*Wolfy* is online now The boy that cried sniperwolf!
    Quote Originally Posted by thefearfulsilence View Post
    There seems to be a worryingly high number of peopler who seek to justify Hillsborough on the basis of Heysel. Even amongst the Juventus fans themselves, when we presented the friendship banner to them, there was apparently a Juve banner being held up in their end with the date of Hillsborough on it saying something like 'God does exist'. How can they detest us for that with such a banner of display. Either human life is precious or it isn't (my 2 cents on that one).

The point though is that we have been punished and we accepted it. We have accepted our responsibililty (albeit very late in an official sense) and our offer of a banner to the Juventus fans is a damn site more than anything we have received in the 20+ years since Hillsborough.

What I'm trying to get across is that, short of publicly flogging ourselves in the street, or offering to even things up by lining up 39 of our fans to be executed by Juventus supporters, what more are we supposed to do? I'd like to see a little more made of the date EVERY year in official channels, maybe a ceremony or prayers offered, but how far must we go? Yes, Heysel should be an occasion for apologies. In fact I see it as a symbol of the occasions when all humans have to look at themselves, reflect, and then admit their failings - but what is the point in any of this we don't use this to improve ourselves as people.

All clubs have some 'fans' who will use any excuse to just hate supporters of another club and that will never change; but amongst those of us living in the civilised world I'd hope we can still bring the fans of both clubs closer together.
    Good post

wolli75 is offline Armchair supporter
    Hi there,

I hope I do not offend anyone now that I contribute to this thread but I strongly feel it should be remembered what happened tomorrow, 30 years ago.

I , for my part , would like to pay my respect to those who died or were injured or were affected by the horrible event 30 years ago.

As mentioned before a lot of things happened that terrible day. A lot of factors have to be taken in to account and the blame, as ever so often, does not lie on one side.
    But what I would like to express is that nobody should go to a football match and die !

Rest in peace 39 supporters.
    Last edited by wolli75; 28-5-15 at 19:57.

Quote Originally Posted by wolli75 View Post
    Hi there,

I hope I do not offend anyone now that I contribute to this thread but I strongly feel it should be remembered what happened tomorrow, 30 years ago.

I , for my part , would like to pay my respect to those who died or were injured or were affected by the horrible event 30 years ago.

As mentioned before a lot of things happened that terrible day. A lot of factors have to be taken in to account and the blame, as ever so often, does not lie on one side.
    But what I would like to express is that nobody should go to a football match and die !

Rest in peace 39 supporters.
    Well said my friend. My sympathy and thoughts go for both cases, Heysel and Hillsborough victims. Since my school days I have been supporting Liverpool in England and Juventus in Italy. I chose to study for my degree in England and of course at Liverpool so that I could watch some home games (during the glorious period of mid- 70's). My son did exactly the same thing 30 years after.
    So yes, these days our thoughts must turn towards all those innocent souls whether they were LFC or Juve supporters. Hope and pray their souls are resting in peace.

Hi all,

As you all know, it has come up to 30 years since Heysel, the 'forgotten tragedy', and I believe it deserves to have more acknowledgement. I am doing a thesis on it, and just to be clear I am not looking to assign blame to anyone. The purpose is simply to investigate how the disaster affected the city of Liverpool. If anyone has a personal account of the tragedy and remembers the mood of the city afterwards, and wants to share their experience, please do reply to this message.

YWNA

Quote Originally Posted by thefearfulsilence View Post

you weren't around in 85 were you?
    sad to say but our club and many of our fans didn't really do their best regarding heysel at the time.

times have now changed and we all admit our responsibility in that disaster....but many people choose to remember our excuses at the time