Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 621

Thread: Madrid, CL, Home, 10/3 19:45 - Preview and in game thread

  1. #31  
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    969
    I dont mean Mach can put a cross in like David Beckham, however compared to service we regually get from our flanks (not a Gerrard or Alonso special) he puts in a good effort.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #32  
    fernandothelegend is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42,177
    Quote Originally Posted by FelixDeSouser View Post
    I dont mean Mach can put a cross in like David Beckham, however compared to service we regually get from our flanks (not a Gerrard or Alonso special) he puts in a good effort.
    we can't afford to play masch right back he is inexpierienced and could be up against robben and also we need him in the middle.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #33  
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    46,708
    Reina

    Arbeloa - Carragher - Skrtel - Aurelio

    Alonso - Mascherano

    Kuyt - Gerrard - Babel

    Torres


    Benayoun's injured and Arbeloa/Gerrard/Torres are seemingly back. This is going to be a big game for Babel.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #34  
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,515
    Mr Fagan, I think you have the team spot on with that, I'd surprised if they lined up any different to that.

    As you say Babel has to make some kind of impact on the game or even play a pivotal role at some point this season.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #35  
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    46,708
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenman View Post
    Mr Fagan, I think you have the team spot on with that, I'd surprised if they lined up any different to that.

    As you say Babel has to make some kind of impact on the game or even play a pivotal role at some point this season.
    Weird, isn't it? You could drive yourself crazy picking Benitez's teams in the past but recently it's become almost obvious which team he's going to put out.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #36  
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyfagan View Post
    Weird, isn't it? You could drive yourself crazy picking Benitez's teams in the past but recently it's become almost obvious which team he's going to put out.
    This happened last season too, as time went on he seemed more consistent on team selections and we went on one hell of a run, makes you wonder doesn't it what he thinks during the first half of the season, though this season we did well in the first six months.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #37  
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    46,708
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenman View Post
    This happened last season too, as time went on he seemed more consistent on team selections and we went on one hell of a run, makes you wonder doesn't it what he thinks during the first half of the season, though this season we did well in the first six months.
    I imagine he'd argue that it's his rotation at the start of the season that enables him to pick a settled team in the latter stages. Perhaps Benitez's reversal of tactics has led to our positive start and subsequent downfall on tiring?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #38  
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyfagan View Post
    I imagine he'd argue that it's his rotation at the start of the season that enables him to pick a settled team in the latter stages. Perhaps Benitez's reversal of tactics has led to our positive start and subsequent downfall on tiring?

    Fair point. I'd agree with you in that Rafa probably rotates his squad early in the season so that he can have his big guns firing on all cylinders when it gets to the crucial stage of the season that we're in now. Injuries have played a damning role in this though reall haven't they.

    I really feel for Benayoun. He's playing his best stuff in a Liverpool shirt and is getting some plaudits but will have to miss this game, for which he'd have been a sure starter what with Riera suspended.

    Like others have said, huge game for Babel. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if two of our left backs line up on hte left though. Perhaps Dossena in the advanced role? Either way, Madrid's right is massive - stop that and we'll be doing well. May be too big a stage for Insua but it would be fantastic for him to come in and give a solid performance.

    At the end of the day, if we win it, Rafa won't get the praise from the media that he'll deserve He won it for us in Madrid.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #39  
    fernandothelegend is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42,177
    Quote Originally Posted by langersandmash View Post
    Fair point. I'd agree with you in that Rafa probably rotates his squad early in the season so that he can have his big guns firing on all cylinders when it gets to the crucial stage of the season that we're in now. Injuries have played a damning role in this though reall haven't they.

    I really feel for Benayoun. He's playing his best stuff in a Liverpool shirt and is getting some plaudits but will have to miss this game, for which he'd have been a sure starter what with Riera suspended.

    Like others have said, huge game for Babel. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if two of our left backs line up on hte left though. Perhaps Dossena in the advanced role? Either way, Madrid's right is massive - stop that and we'll be doing well. May be too big a stage for Insua but it would be fantastic for him to come in and give a solid performance.

    i would play babel with aurelio behind him as pace will be the key when madrid open up. We never get credit and were told we baet a poor madrid team the same way we beat poor inter's and barca teams previously. How many teams can say in 3 years they have won at the nou camp,stamford bridge,nou camp and bernabeu.
    At the end of the day, if we win it, Rafa won't get the praise from the media that he'll deserve He won it for us in Madrid.
    i would play babel with aurelio behind him as pace will be the key when madrid open up. We never get credit and were told we baet a poor madrid team the same way we beat poor inter's and barca teams previously. How many teams can say in 3 years they have won at the nou camp,stamford bridge,nou camp and bernabeu.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #40  
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandothelegend View Post
    i would play babel with aurelio behind him as pace will be the key when madrid open up. We never get credit and were told we baet a poor madrid team the same way we beat poor inter's and barca teams previously. How many teams can say in 3 years they have won at the nou camp,stamford bridge,nou camp and bernabeu.
    Yer, I agree that Babel could (on his day) rip them apart which cannot be said for many of our players. A lot depends on whether Rafa wants to take the game to them or not though as Babs is as poor as they come with his defensive duties, especially on his casual form of late. If Torres doens't play, we'll definitely see him though - down the middle as when he came on in Madrid.

    It's a joke isn't it - would love to see United get played off the park at OT.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #41  
    slimman is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    43,163
    Quote Originally Posted by langersandmash View Post
    Fair point. I'd agree with you in that Rafa probably rotates his squad early in the season so that he can have his big guns firing on all cylinders when it gets to the crucial stage of the season that we're in now. Injuries have played a damning role in this though reall haven't they.

    I really feel for Benayoun. He's playing his best stuff in a Liverpool shirt and is getting some plaudits but will have to miss this game, for which he'd have been a sure starter what with Riera suspended.

    Like others have said, huge game for Babel. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if two of our left backs line up on hte left though. Perhaps Dossena in the advanced role? Either way, Madrid's right is massive - stop that and we'll be doing well. May be too big a stage for Insua but it would be fantastic for him to come in and give a solid performance.

    At the end of the day, if we win it, Rafa won't get the praise from the media that he'll deserve He won it for us in Madrid.
    Insua is not in the CL squad so hopefully next year he'll gain that experience in the competition.

    It's going to be a monster game for Babel and i hope he takes his man on and shows us what he can really do.

    Huge that Benayoun isn't playing -- the form he was on was fantastic.

    Come On You Reds
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #42  
    fernandothelegend is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42,177
    Quote Originally Posted by langersandmash View Post
    Yer, I agree that Babel could (on his day) rip them apart which cannot be said for many of our players. A lot depends on whether Rafa wants to take the game to them or not though as Babs is as poor as they come with his defensive duties, especially on his casual form of late. If Torres doens't play, we'll definitely see him though - down the middle as when he came on in Madrid.

    It's a joke isn't it - would love to see United get played off the park at OT.
    i think rafa will snd the lads out a quick tempo like he done when we had the lead against barca when we should of been three up at half time and feel madrid are there to be taken quite comfortably and feel it could be exactly what babel needs.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #43  
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by slimman View Post
    Insua is not in the CL squad so hopefully next year he'll gain that experience in the competition.
    Completely forgot that.

    Good job that Sami's back in. If Arby and Agger both miss out and Rafa plays Carra at RB, Sami will be enormous for us!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #44  
    fernandothelegend is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42,177
    Quote Originally Posted by langersandmash View Post
    Completely forgot that.

    Good job that Sami's back in. If Arby and Agger both miss out and Rafa plays Carra at RB, Sami will be enormous for us!
    with hyppia playing if arbeloa is injured at least we have a threat from set-pieces which we don't have from skrtel who you would think looking at him would be a threat at corners.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #45  
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    176
    Your Team to play Real Madrid

    I was just thinking about this and if none of Torres, Arbeloa or Agger are fit, this added to Benny’s injury and Riera’s suspension means we are in a bit of trouble picking a strong team for tomorrow night. If none of them make it we might see this:

    Reina

    Carra Skrtel Hyypia Dossena

    Alonso Mascherano

    Kuyt Gerrard Aurelio

    Babel

    At least the threat of Robben should be nullified with Carra and Aurelio to get past. Not that I believe it anyway but if Carra did refuse to play RB against Boro he can get ******** if he thinks we’re putting Big Martin back there in a game of this magnitude. Wouldn’t put Masch there again in this one, he is liable to leave the flank exposed and with Robben their main threat this is how they would aim to beat us.

    Lucas could start instead of Dossena in a 4-3-2-1 with Aurelio dropping back into defence.

    Option:

    Reina

    Skrtel Carra Hyypia

    Masch --------------------- Aurelio

    Lucas Alonso

    Gerrard

    Babel

    With 3 CBs we could cope with Masch’s positional indiscipline and he would be willing to get forward in a manner befitting a wing back. Same with Aurelio. Not ideal but we do have 5 key squad members missing.

    If Arbeloa is available then he comes in for Hyypia in the first line up above. Same with Agger in the second. Torres would obviously replace Babel in either.

    Still, don’t really like the look of either of those and can’t think of anything better. We could be in for a bit of a rough ride tomorrow evening.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #46  
    fernandothelegend is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42,177
    the official team will be with benny and riera missing
    reina
    arbeloa skrtel carragher aurelio

    mascherano alonso

    kuyt gerrard(c) babel

    torres
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #47  
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    46,708
    Nice post, but why isn't it in the sticky?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #48  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,595
    really cant be arsed with babel, isnt there anyone else
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #49  
    fernandothelegend is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42,177
    Quote Originally Posted by waittillmay View Post
    really cant be arsed with babel, isnt there anyone else
    as i said mate he has been lazy and a disappointment this season bt feel this could just be the making of ryan babel.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #50  
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    5,745
    Quote Originally Posted by FelixDeSouser View Post
    If Benny is injured then I would not argue with Aurelio and Insua down the left hand side.
    Both do a good job and understand the role.

    Could prove to be a night for Insua to cement his status in Europe.
    Rafa will never start Insua against Madrid, despite his excellent play this year.

    More likely to start Dossena at LB with Aurelio at left mid.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #51  
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,595
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandothelegend View Post
    as i said mate he has been lazy and a disappointment this season bt feel this could just be the making of ryan babel.
    been hearing about this for the past year though, seriously how many chances does he get.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #52  
    fernandothelegend is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42,177
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin2 View Post
    Rafa will never start Insua against Madrid, despite his excellent play this year.

    More likely to start Dossena at LB with Aurelio at left mid.
    he will play babel ahead of aurelio and if he doesn't he will send out a negative signal by playing two left backs. We have better players and have a far better manager so lets go for the kill and cheer the lads to the quarters.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #53  
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    5,745
    Quote Originally Posted by LearphollFC View Post
    Your Team to play Real Madrid

    I was just thinking about this and if none of Torres, Arbeloa or Agger are fit, this added to Benny’s injury and Riera’s suspension means we are in a bit of trouble picking a strong team for tomorrow night. If none of them make it we might see this:

    Reina

    Carra Skrtel Hyypia Dossena

    Alonso Mascherano

    Kuyt Gerrard Aurelio

    Babel

    At least the threat of Robben should be nullified with Carra and Aurelio to get past. Not that I believe it anyway but if Carra did refuse to play RB against Boro he can get ******** if he thinks we’re putting Big Martin back there in a game of this magnitude. Wouldn’t put Masch there again in this one, he is liable to leave the flank exposed and with Robben their main threat this is how they would aim to beat us.

    Lucas could start instead of Dossena in a 4-3-2-1 with Aurelio dropping back into defence.

    Option:

    Reina

    Skrtel Carra Hyypia

    Masch --------------------- Aurelio

    Lucas Alonso

    Gerrard

    Babel

    With 3 CBs we could cope with Masch’s positional indiscipline and he would be willing to get forward in a manner befitting a wing back. Same with Aurelio. Not ideal but we do have 5 key squad members missing.

    If Arbeloa is available then he comes in for Hyypia in the first line up above. Same with Agger in the second. Torres would obviously replace Babel in either.

    Still, don’t really like the look of either of those and can’t think of anything better. We could be in for a bit of a rough ride tomorrow evening.
    OK, Masch filled in when needed at RB and did very well, but I don't think we need to make him into a wing back just yet. Jesus.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #54  
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    5,745
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandothelegend View Post
    he will play babel ahead of aurelio and if he doesn't he will send out a negative signal by playing two left backs. We have better players and have a far better manager so lets go for the kill and cheer the lads to the quarters.
    I agree with you that he SHOULD start Babel (despite Babel being utterly ***** this year, frankly, giving the ball away each and every time he gets it), but Rafa doesn't exactly worry about sending out negative signals...
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #55  
    fernandothelegend is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42,177
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin2 View Post
    I agree with you that he SHOULD start Babel (despite Babel being utterly ***** this year, frankly, giving the ball away each and every time he gets it), but Rafa doesn't exactly worry about sending out negative signals...
    no i know mate but just feel with ramos going all over the place we could have them on the break time and again and babel could be key eventhough he has been dreadful all season. I'm just been positive eventhough i would much rather have riera or benny available.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #56  
    fernandothelegend is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42,177
    Liverpool are waiting on the results of a scan to discover how long they will be without in-form Yossi Benayoun.
    The Israeli star suffered a hamstring injury in training and is doubtful for tomorrow night's clash with Real Madrid at Anfield.

    The Reds will also make late fitness decisions on Fernando Torres, Alvaro Arbeloa and Daniel Agger before manager Rafael Benitez finalises his team selection for the Champions League second leg clash.

    "Yossi has a hamstring problem and we will know more after the scan," Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv today.

    "Fernando is training but not in the full sessions. We are doing special sessions with specific work with some players. Hopefully he can train today and then we will see.

    "It depends on his reaction after the session and then again tomorrow. I think he can be part of the squad and maybe he can play some minutes, but I can't guarantee how much.

    "It's the same for Arbeloa and Agger. We have two more training sessions before we have to decide."

    Liverpool will definitely be without Albert Riera for the tie, with the Spaniard suspended after collecting a yellow card in the Bernabeu two weeks ago.

    "We have known that Riera will be suspended and we have two or three options in that position for this match," added the boss.


    doesn't sound that torres will start or am i just been paranoid and as for us having two or three options for the left side i would like to know who they are.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #57  
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin2 View Post
    OK, Masch filled in when needed at RB and did very well, but I don't think we need to make him into a wing back just yet. Jesus.
    Why not? If Arbeloa isn't fit then it's between Masch and Carra. If we went for the usual 4-2-3-1 then put Carra there and abandon hope of stretching their left side, but if we were to play the three at the back I can't see who else could play the RWB role.

    Masch was pretty good at full back last Tuesday and with three centre backs instead of two to cover him I think the one area he was lacking - staying on the right and getting back in time - would be less of a hindrance to us.

    I can't see what's ridiculous about it.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #58  
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    5,745
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandothelegend View Post
    no i know mate but just feel with ramos going all over the place we could have them on the break time and again and babel could be key eventhough he has been dreadful all season. I'm just been positive eventhough i would much rather have riera or benny available.
    your positivity is commendable

    I can't believe how little ******* depth we have...where is our squad FFS? injuires constantly from training, too - what the **** do we do in training? we know we don't work on either corners or free kicks, so it's not that...
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #59  
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    5,745
    Quote Originally Posted by LearphollFC View Post
    Why not? If Arbeloa isn't fit then it's between Masch and Carra. If we went for the usual 4-2-3-1 then put Carra there and abandon hope of stretching their left side, but if we were to play the three at the back I can't see who else could play the RWB role.

    Masch was pretty good at full back last Tuesday and with three centre backs instead of two to cover him I think the one area he was lacking - staying on the right and getting back in time - would be less of a hindrance to us.

    I can't see what's ridiculous about it.
    You want Robben and Ramos running at the slow Hyypia and overlapping? Then Aurelio is pinned back anyway to save Hyppia's arse, and effectively you've destroyed the whole point of three at the back, because your left WB is pinned.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #60  
    fernandothelegend is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42,177
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin2 View Post
    your positivity is commendable

    I can't believe how little ******* depth we have...where is our squad FFS? injuires constantly from training, too - what the **** do we do in training? we know we don't work on either corners or free kicks, so it's not that...
    that is the problem mate rafa has to buy one and sell one where the mancs buy and buy and that is why we lack the depth and that is what seperates us and the mancs is there bench.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •