Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 621

Thread: Madrid, CL, Home, 10/3 19:45 - Preview and in game thread

  1. #1 euro_cup Madrid, CL, Home, 10/3 19:45 - Preview and in game thread 
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,474
    LIVERPOOL V REAL MADRID
    Tuesday 10 March 2009 19:45

    Juande Ramos' side travel to Anfield with it all do after Yossi Benayoun headed home to secure a famous win at the Bernabeu in the first leg.

    Things are still evenly balanced at the halfway stage in this last 16 tie, however, so expect both sides to be going for the jugular in a bid to secure that coveted quarter-final Champions League berth.

    Match pointers

    - Steven Gerrard will join Jamie Carragher in making 100 European appearances for Liverpool if he plays

    - Pepe Reina could also make his 50th Liverpool European game against the Madrid giants, becoming the 18th player and only the second goalkeeper to do so after Ray Clemence

    - In the seven two-legged ties in which Liverpool have faced Spanish opposition they have only lost once on aggregate. While Athletic Bilbao won due to a coin toss in 1968, Celta Vigo beat Liverpool both home and away in 1998/99. Current Real Madrid star Michel Salgado was part of the side that beat Liverpool

    - In his final Madrid derby, Fernando Torres scored what was his first and, so far only, career goal against Real in February 2007

    - Alvaro Arbeloa and Jamie Carragher are the only Liverpool players to have started all nine of their European games this season

    - Out of the last nine two legged-ties against Spanish opposition, Liverpool have lost only once. That defeat came on March 6 2007 when Eidur Gudjohnsen scored late on to secure a victory for Barcelona at Anfield. But a fantastic 2-1 first-leg win in the Camp Nou meant that Liverpool won the tie overall

    - Their last home win against Spanish opponents came in 2001 when a Gary McAllister penalty knocked Barcelona out of the UEFA Cup and sent Liverpool through to the final

    - Liverpool have won 29 first legs away from home in Europe and have progressed to the next round on each of those 29 occasions

    ---

    Even with the away goal this promises to be a tense night, but it should be a wonderful occasion for those lucky enough to be in the ground. Real are true footballing aristocrats and will be desperate to overturn the first leg deficit. They'll have nothing to lose and it will be interesting to see how aggressively they start the match.

    If we play at our level we'll be through and it will be a truly memorable night. Torres to score against his bete noire.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #2  
    hobnobs is offline May contain sarcasm
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,830
    I'm gonna be in Germany for work. Might not be able to even listen to the game. Nooooooooooooo!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #3  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,426
    I'm going to be there, in the Kop end. Can't wait.

    A lot can happen in the next 6 days (especially concerning Fernando Torres's availability) so I won't be guessing at any teams Rafa may pick for this one, but I'd imagine if Torres does play Rafa will play our preferred 4-2-3-1.

    However if that's the case then we assume Alonso and Masch in the middle so with Arbeloa missing (I think he's out for another 2 weeks?) does Carra go RB? Will Agger by available to partner Skrtel? Or would Hyypia do the job? Aurelio will probably get the nod at LB seeing how well he did against Robben in the Bernabeu.

    The middle 3 pick themselves but if Torres does play then you have 2 wide places to be contested by 3 players: Kuyt, Riera and Benayoun. For me Benayoun would have to start but who drops out and where he plays I'm not so sure??

    Over to you Rafa
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #4  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    469
    If Torres don't play, we are left with El Zhar and Ngog against Real Madrid which is a joke really.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #5  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,426
    Quote Originally Posted by YYH View Post
    If Torres don't play, we are left with El Zhar and Ngog against Real Madrid which is a joke really.
    To be fair mate neither Torres nor Steven Gerrard was on the field when we scored the winner against Real Madrid but neither were El Zhar or Ngog. Besides Ngog did well last night didn't he?

    Joke or no joke our players were superb in Madrid and let's hope they can do it again, every single one of them, in the return leg.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #6  
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,196
    Hopefully we can put this team out:

    Pepe
    Carra - Agger or Sami - Skrtel - Aurelio
    Masch - Alonso
    Kuyt - Gerrard - Benayoun
    El Nino

    Bench:

    Cavalierri
    Dossena
    Agger/Sami
    Lucas
    Babel
    Riera
    Ngog

    I'll be there in the kop, should be a great atmosphere...im going to go for a close 1-1 draw...

    Come on you redmen!!!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #7  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,227
    is arbeloa out??
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #8  
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10,323
    Quote Originally Posted by RobAb View Post
    is arbeloa out??
    was said originally he would be out for about 10 days. madrid game is day 12. lets hope he's back.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #9  
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    187
    i put in my time off request so i can leave work and watch the game in the middle of the day, but it hasn't come back approved yet

    it better or eff this place. i WILL watch this game!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #10  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    645
    Royal Gerrards Team

    Reina


    Arbeloa - Carragher - Skrtl - Insua/Aurelio


    Kuyt - Mascherano - Alonso -Yossi

    Gerrard (C)

    Torres

    Subs
    Caveherli
    Agger
    Insua/Aurelio
    Lucas
    Babel/NGog


    What i want to see at the match
    1. No Booing players
    2. 2.Getting Behind the team.
    3. Good Atmosphere
    4. To go through
    5. The announcer to announce Inter have gone through

    Babel/NGog
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #11  
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,883
    If Arbeloa can't make it at right back. I'd happily see Mascherano be put there again.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #12  
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Caslin View Post
    Hopefully we can put this team out:

    Pepe
    Carra - Agger or Sami - Skrtel - Aurelio
    Masch - Alonso
    Kuyt - Gerrard - Benayoun
    El Nino

    I agree. Would like to see that team.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #13  
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    5,745
    I think it will take a miracle for Rafa to start Torres. Rafa will gamble that we are in such a good position that we may not need him, but that is a mistake.

    Also, if Benayoun doesn't start after the way he has played, then Rafa can kiss my arse.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #14  
    fernandothelegend is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42,177
    team for madrid
    reina
    arbeloa carragher skrtel aurelio

    mascherano alonso

    kuyt gerrard(c) benny

    torres

    lets get behind the lads and scare the life out of madrid and we will be okay with a 1-0 wn scored by our man of the moment yossi benayoun.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #15  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    49,704
    In my opinion this game has all the similarities of Barca in that we have secured the away win so get set for a nerve tingling ride at home.

    Don't be surprised if Madrid score first; maybe even a late goal forcing extra time.

    So i'll go for that

    1-1 AET.

    Kuyt
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #16  
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,883
    Quote Originally Posted by aylesbyred View Post
    In my opinion this game has all the similarities of Barca in that we have secured the away win so get set for a nerve tingling ride at home.

    Don't be surprised if Madrid score first; maybe even a late goal forcing extra time.

    So i'll go for that

    1-1 AET.

    Kuyt

    Get your money on it pal. Should have some tidy odds for that.

    Team to beat Madrid though in my opinion should be..

    Reina

    Arbeloa - Skrtel - Carragher - Aurelio

    Mascherano - Alonso

    Kuyt - Gerrard - Benayoun

    Torres

    Although, if certain players are still injured. I'd go for this.

    Reina

    Mascherano - Skrtel - Carragher - Aurelio

    Benayoun - Alonso - Gerrard - Reira

    Kuyt - N'Gog

    Why not? We are at home with the away goal advantage.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #17  
    fernandothelegend is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42,177
    is anyone else worried that torres might be only fit enough for the bench. Just got that feeling that he won't start.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #18  
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    227
    no i think we,l be ok without him i think madrid will be blown away and overcome with atmosphere and every livepool player will be up 4 it im hoping madrid are like rabbits in the headlights 1st 20 mins and we doominate and go 1 nil up, then if needed torres could play a role later on if needed, but obviously desperatly want him 2 start the game
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #19  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal-Gerrard View Post
    Royal Gerrards Team

    Reina


    Arbeloa - Carragher - Skrtl - Insua/Aurelio


    Kuyt - Mascherano - Alonso -Yossi

    Gerrard (C)

    Torres

    Subs
    Caveherli
    Agger
    Insua/Aurelio
    Lucas
    Babel/NGog


    What i want to see at the match
    1. No Booing players
    2. 2.Getting Behind the team.
    3. Good Atmosphere
    4. To go through
    5. The announcer to announce Inter have gone through

    Babel/NGog
    The ManURe v Inter match is on Wednesday mate. So lets have@

    The announcer to announce that Juve have gone through
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #20  
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1
    Can anyone explain why Mash. played at fullback?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #21  
    fernandothelegend is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42,177
    Quote Originally Posted by CHADD View Post
    Can anyone explain why Mash. played at fullback?
    because arbeloa was injured and he done well there.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #22  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,074
    Reina

    Macherano-Carragher--Skrtle-Aurelio

    Kuyt--Gerrard--Alonso--Benayoun

    -----Babel----

    ----------Torres----
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #23  
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Musa View Post
    Reina

    Macherano-Carragher--Skrtle-Aurelio

    Kuyt--Gerrard--Alonso--Benayoun

    -----Babel----

    ----------Torres----
    Mach has showed he can do a real job filling in at RB, he gets up and down that flank harrases and colses down attacks and provides a good wide threat himself, with quite good crosses into the box.

    With Mach covering at RB it leaves an unprotected void in the middle which Stevie can do a sterling job on, he can keep the door shut on madrid and also create and build up are attacks.

    Benny is not at his best on left wing, often cuts in and doesnt often double up with his full back to break down attacks, however Aurelio proved he can take care of this on his own when Riera was in front of him the other week, If Benny can use his trickery and try to create a bit of width to free up space for Torres and Babel then this could prove very useful.

    Kuyt will do his usual job hounding and harrasing madrids deep players playing the bionic man, they will tire long beforehe does,no matter what job Rafas tactical mind conjures Kuyt will stick to his task.

    Having the pace of Torres and Babel (in a central position) will cause madrids defence all sorts of problem, if they looked shakey last time out then this could really shell shock them, especialy since they have to play an attacking game our pace can exploit them.

    All in all thisstarting line out has an awful lot to offer and I would be happy to see it, but we will see what Rafa thinks of thesituation come tues night.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #24  
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    969
    If Benny is injured then I would not argue with Aurelio and Insua down the left hand side.
    Both do a good job and understand the role.

    Could prove to be a night for Insua to cement his status in Europe.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #25  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,676
    Quote Originally Posted by FelixDeSouser View Post
    Mach has showed he can do a real job filling in at RB, he gets up and down that flank harrases and colses down attacks and provides a good wide threat himself, with quite good crosses into the box.
    I've never seen Mascherano hit a good cross. But he does attack well.

    Mascherano is needed as a DM to deal with the threat of Robben, he is needed to double up with whoever plays left back and is a vital thorn in Robbens game when he cuts inside from the Right. Unless somebody else does that job, we can't afford to take him out of that position.

    Also, did you see how much space Andy Reid was in a lot of the time when Masch went chasing.... If the ball was at the feet of a better player/ team than sunderland, the ball would be switched and a real opportunity for the opposition. Luckily for us we were only playing sunderland, and players like Ben Haim were on the ball when mascherano was the wrong side of the pitch.

    So I wouldn't play Mascherano RB unless, we get somebody else to do his DCM job and double up on Robben when he has it. AND if we discipline him more to stay in the right defensive position, not wander across the pitch.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #26  
    fernandothelegend is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42,177
    Quote Originally Posted by FelixDeSouser View Post
    If Benny is injured then I would not argue with Aurelio and Insua down the left hand side.
    Both do a good job and understand the role.

    Could prove to be a night for Insua to cement his status in Europe.
    insua is inelligble and i feel the game will be the making of babel.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #27  
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10,323
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandothelegend View Post
    insua is inelligble and i feel the game will be the making of babel.
    he's under 21, so he doesnt have to be named, right? or am i getting confused again? i thought if a player is under 21 they dont have to go on the list?

    what i mean is, i think he can play
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #28  
    fernandothelegend is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    42,177
    Quote Originally Posted by skrteltheturtle89 View Post
    he's under 21, so he doesnt have to be named, right? or am i getting confused again? i thought if a player is under 21 they dont have to go on the list?

    what i mean is, i think he can play
    i've heard that so not sure and he hasn't been on the bench in the champions league and feel aurelio will play anyway with babel ahead of him.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #29  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    16,761
    LFC 4 teh w1n!!!!!!!!!!!111
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #30  
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCMJ4D View Post
    I've never seen Mascherano hit a good cross. But he does attack well.

    Mascherano is needed as a DM to deal with the threat of Robben, he is needed to double up with whoever plays left back and is a vital thorn in Robbens game when he cuts inside from the Right. Unless somebody else does that job, we can't afford to take him out of that position.

    Also, did you see how much space Andy Reid was in a lot of the time when Masch went chasing.... If the ball was at the feet of a better player/ team than sunderland, the ball would be switched and a real opportunity for the opposition. Luckily for us we were only playing sunderland, and players like Ben Haim were on the ball when mascherano was the wrong side of the pitch.

    So I wouldn't play Mascherano RB unless, we get somebody else to do his DCM job and double up on Robben when he has it. AND if we discipline him more to stay in the right defensive position, not wander across the pitch.

    I completely agree with you like I said Mach would leave a void in the centre but I think Gerrard is more than capable of taking care of that.

    I know Stevie plays higher behind nando now but with the formation set with Babel in that role, Stevie can cover that void if Mach is at RB.

    I just think Mach has the pace and harrasing ability that Carra or Skrtel may not have, those boys are the best at CB, but could be caught out at RB by the pace Madrid has to offer.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •